PDA

View Full Version : It is not like this!!!

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 22:34
Just in case you are new to the AT and have been a little put off by some of the threads about drugs, blue vs whiteblazing, guns, dogs, religious pamphlets in shelters, etc. well be reassured that as heated as the threads may seem to get here on WhiteBlaze, life on the actual trail is not like this. You can bet that any hiker here would bend over backwards to help out a fellow hiker despite political, religious, or slacker differences. On the trail you can meet hippies and retired war vets all getting along around the campfires, shelters, hostels, and resturaunts. Everyone (for the most part) tries to respect each other and get along.

Another technique is to simply ignore threads or people that annoy or upset you. It sort of works like third grade and your mom tells you just to ignore things that upset you.

Thanks - the management (whatever that means)

JLB
05-26-2004, 22:39
Thanks, I was getting a little put off by the unfriendly nature of some of the people here. Others seem to be very helpful, yourself included. :)

Tha Wookie
05-27-2004, 00:30
Sarge is right, forums can be like road rage, people are 99% cool in person (and many of us know each other). DOING it and CRITIQUING on the web it are far different. The hills weed out the jerks (well, most of 'em)!

Photofanatic
05-27-2004, 01:08
Glad you put that out SGT Rock. Coincidentally my trusting nature caused me to let my guard down here... I forgot this is the net. My direct e-mail address was on a post from a month ago and I just got a non-threatening e-mail though disturbing at first because he/she made mention of the section of trail that I would be shooting for the AT photo project. I have since receiving the e-mail removed my posts and will be much more careful in the future about discussing where I will be and when.

I am not concerned or afraid of some weirdo who gets his or her jollies off sending me JUNK e-mail. Get a life.

L. Wolfe

Hammock Hanger
05-27-2004, 08:29

Sgt Rock, you can always make me smile!!:clap

And he is absolutely right. On the trail we are much less opinionated and seemed to be able to play nice. If by chance you find yourself in the company of a hiker you don't like you can always hike on, or hedge back, till he is out of your circle. We can do the same thing here. -- I try to read all the new post. If I feel I have something constructive to say I chime in. If the thread takes a turn and becomes "uninteresting or off key" I usually just don't read anymore of the post for that thread. Sue/HH

Youngblood
05-27-2004, 08:40
Just in case you are new to the AT and have been a little put off by some of the threads about drugs, blue vs whiteblazing, guns, dogs, religious pamphlets in shelters, etc. well be reassured that as heated as the threads may seem to get here on WhiteBlaze, life on the actual trail is not like this. You can bet that any hiker here would bend over backwards to help out a fellow hiker despite political, religious, or slacker differences. On the trail you can meet hippies and retired war vets all getting along around the campfires, shelters, hostels, and resturaunts. Everyone (for the most part) tries to respect each other and get along.

Another technique is to simply ignore threads or people that annoy or upset you. It sort of works like third grade and your mom tells you just to ignore things that upset you.

Thankfully, Sarge is right. Loud, offensive and obnoxious people often take advantage of a captive audience because those are usually the only people that will listen to them. That is one of the tradeoffs with a free and open web site. But sometimes we do argue on this site, but hopefully it is more along the lines of a disagreement between friends. Unfortunately we don't have rules to limit the fray and a few folks think that if they get 'their say in last', that makes them right. When we get a few of those folks going at it, it does seems like it will never end.

Youngblood

MOWGLI
05-27-2004, 08:51

Sarge, you are 110% correct. One of my biggest post-hike disappointments was the manner in which people communicate on the internet. It is nothing like the way in which people treat one another on the trail. I have occasionally said some regretable things on this and other web sites. The fact of the matter is, when people meet face to face out on the trail, 99.9% of the time they treat one another with respect, regardless of political or personal views. Heck, I even hiked with a few Red Sox fans in 2000.

Having said that, it was great to see you at Trail Days Sarge. I enjoyed shaking your hand and chatting with you at the American Hiking Society booth. Thanks again.

Jeffrey Hunter

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 09:20
It was great meting all of y'all I could get to at Trail Days. Hikers are cool people.

tlbj6142
05-27-2004, 09:31
I'm constently amazed that this complaint comes up. Unless this is your first and only experience on a public forum, you should be use to this by now. Every forum on every subject (Scuba, paintball, rc cars, game software, geocacheing, word processing, etc.) I have ever read online (been online since '88) has had the same issues. Just ignore it. Skip the threads. Add the idiots to your ignore lists, etc. There is no need to get worked up about it. That just adds fuel to their fire. Folks act and do thing differently when they are not face to face with someone.

Same thing happens in your car with road-rage. Do you run someone down at the next cross walk because they stepped in front of you on the side walk? No. But several of us feel the need to do it when we are isolated inside our cars.

rumbler
05-27-2004, 10:09
The trail introduces hikers to so many new people, many with backgrounds, experiences or views which we would not encounter in a normal setting. Or if we did, we might not find a basis for anything longer than a casual introduction followed by a retreat back to more familiar friends. The trail is great in that - between the common purpose of hiking, the scenic environment, the slower pace and perhaps the fact that frequently we are dead tired at the end of a day - it provides a setting where hikers establish bonds that transcend repetitive arguments of politics or beliefs.

And if someone does end up being annoying in any form or fashion - and being life someone will along the hike - typically that person goes away, either from differing hiking speeds, campsites or town resupplies. Sure, a bit of journal sniping happens here and there, but the focus is and almost always remains the hike itself, and the remarkable people who seem to inordinately populate the hiker experience. If you want to minimize inconsequential bickering from your life, the trail is about as good a place to do it as you are going to find to do just that.

The on-line dynamic in general is inevitably quite different, and that difference by definition is true here as well. Participants still have the ability to merely ignore those who are annoying, boring or wrong (we being the final judge of the latter, of course). Yet the format of response not only encourages instant repartee, somehow a timely response seems often to somehow be required. In that sense an on-line forum about the trail probably should be expected to represent the typical personality of an on-line forum more-so than the unique personality of the trail.

This is a great forum, helpful and largely enjoyable. But even the best windows into the trail experience will only allow narrow unsatisfying glimpses of an ecology too robust to be summarized. That’s why the actual hiking ends up being such a treat.

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:40
I happen to agree with all of you, and thanks SGT for starting this thread. Have you considered why you've had to start this thread? I never saw you start one like this before JLB came along.......

As for the statement that some folks may write/moan on here is because no one else is listening, I think you may be right, thus the need to question your PC's in regard to the individual this is targeting JLB. Hornet's nests have to be stirred, I am very aware of this because of the negative responses to my posts about what I believe, and the defense of those beliefs. Where were you then ? (I missed that "It isn't usually like this" thread) at that time.....
Now, JLB states
You are the one causing a disruption by attacking me without cause.

Let me help you so you don't need to tire yourself out doing research on your new obsession:

JLB, listen, you came in here, and think others attacked you, no one did, you stirred a nest of hornets with your I'm carrying a gun on the AT boasting, you contradict yourself constantly throughout your posts as well. As for "our" new obsession, it seems, sir, that you are the one obsessed, not only by firearms ( hey, everyone needs a hobby)but now you are on here trying to learn every little thing about hiking, this seems to outsiders that your new 'hiking'obsession may be one you'd like to blend with your gun 'obsession'.

Obsessions/hobbies/passions - whatever one wants to call them- are fine, but not when you claim that you are not stirring up angst. Obviously you are, and don't care. You are starting threads about simple questions that could be answered if you'd go back and read other posts, as well as buy some books and videos, there are lots of other resources too. It's OK to be new, we all have to be at some point in time, but the point that you came in here waving your gun in folks faces...well some just don't like that and the right to their opions.........You are the only one that I know of on here that has a political agenda/photo/propaganda next to their name.

I happen to agree with all of the above posts above, except for JLB. As for those who you think only "talk on these boards" because often it is the only "thing" that will listen, you may be right, even more of a reason to take a close look at your new member who has the time to post, let's see as of this post.............read the facts. Why are you all ignoring what a clear definition of a troll is? Wish him the best, and hope that you are at home typing on your computer this summer while he is out ( less than 6 weeks til he is according to his posts) bagging a bear on the AT this summer, hopefully not over one of YOUR heads......

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Posts</LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Total Posts: 122 (18.67 posts per day</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 11:22
Waren Doyle actually reccomended something like this when you first get to the site. Sort of a disclaimer to let people know that the web and the trail are not alike. He had a concern (a valid one I belive) that the level of discussion here could turn off novice hiker that are here to learn, not debate or listen to debates.

gravityman
05-27-2004, 11:29
eyahiker - you are dangerously close to an ignore with the relentless attacking of JLB. If I'm thinking about it, others have already done it. Those people are the ones that usually have a lot to say about HIKING topics that you might be asking advice for.

Just a thought...

Gravity man

Brushy Sage
05-27-2004, 12:23
Just wanting to add my thanks for Sgt. Rock's message. I have never been with a more supportive and collegial group than those I met (and continue to meet) on the AT.

The Scribe
05-27-2004, 13:50
I'm a pretty open minded guy. Heck, I teach middle school. But I get turned off on here sometimes. Some sit here and blast WF for enforcing his opinions on the other site, then launch at people here for expressing their opinion.

True, message board life can be hard but just because someone else does it doesn't make it right.

There are times when I look at the "new posts" list and sigh and don't even read any.

Thanks for the voice Sarge.

pcm

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 13:56
Oh Gravityman, you are breaking my heart. PLEASE click ignore.:clap

I have just done so for JLB, probably the best idea you've given me so far.

Jaybird
05-27-2004, 14:05
Just in case you are new to the AT and have been a little put off by some of the threads about drugs, blue vs whiteblazing, guns, dogs, religious pamphlets in shelters, etc. well be reassured that as heated as the threads may seem to get here on WhiteBlaze, life on the actual trail is not like this.............................................. .......................................
Another technique is to simply ignore threads or people that annoy or upset you. ...................Thanks - the management (whatever that means)

Sarge

Thanks for the words of wisdom about the Forum posts & those that would post "flaming" words!

Nice meeting you during TRAIL DAYS 2004!

Sgt Rock Photo (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3432/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/2)

JLB
05-27-2004, 15:13
I happen to agree with all of you, and thanks SGT for starting this thread. Have you considered why you've had to start this thread? I never saw you start one like this before JLB came along.......

As for the statement that some folks may write/moan on here is because no one else is listening, I think you may be right, thus the need to question your PC's in regard to the individual this is targeting JLB. Hornet's nests have to be stirred, I am very aware of this because of the negative responses to my posts about what I believe, and the defense of those beliefs. Where were you then ? (I missed that "It isn't usually like this" thread) at that time.....
Now, JLB states

JLB, listen, you came in here, and think others attacked you, no one did, you stirred a nest of hornets with your I'm carrying a gun on the AT boasting, you contradict yourself constantly throughout your posts as well. As for "our" new obsession, it seems, sir, that you are the one obsessed, not only by firearms ( hey, everyone needs a hobby)but now you are on here trying to learn every little thing about hiking, this seems to outsiders that your new 'hiking'obsession may be one you'd like to blend with your gun 'obsession'.

Obsessions/hobbies/passions - whatever one wants to call them- are fine, but not when you claim that you are not stirring up angst. Obviously you are, and don't care. You are starting threads about simple questions that could be answered if you'd go back and read other posts, as well as buy some books and videos, there are lots of other resources too. It's OK to be new, we all have to be at some point in time, but the point that you came in here waving your gun in folks faces...well some just don't like that and the right to their opions.........You are the only one that I know of on here that has a political agenda/photo/propaganda next to their name.

I happen to agree with all of the above posts above, except for JLB. As for those who you think only "talk on these boards" because often it is the only "thing" that will listen, you may be right, even more of a reason to take a close look at your new member who has the time to post, let's see as of this post.............read the facts. Why are you all ignoring what a clear definition of a troll is? Wish him the best, and hope that you are at home typing on your computer this summer while he is out ( less than 6 weeks til he is according to his posts) bagging a bear on the AT this summer, hopefully not over one of YOUR heads......

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Posts</LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Total Posts: 122 (18.67 posts per day</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>

As I said before:

Thanks, I was getting a little put off by the unfriendly nature of some of the people here.

Floops
05-27-2004, 17:25
Thankfully, Sarge is right.

<snip>

Youngblood
I never met a serious jerk-type operson on the AT. Even folks who disagree with you are much more polite in person.

As a matter of fact, some of the nicest folks that I've ever met were on the trail, and my political bent is different than most.

It's just a different world online.

Oh Well,
Floops

Big Guy
05-27-2004, 21:33
As in life you will find all types on the trail as well as this web site. I believe as in life take what is useful and be thankful for this and ignore those items that you feel are no value, I find many useful discusssions but those that have no value to me as an example discusion of guns on the trail I pass over. There is enough freedom on this site to express your opinion and to take from others what you value. We need to respect others opinions and questions so we can all grow.

TedB
05-27-2004, 22:31
As in life you will find all types on the trail as well as this web site. I believe as in life take what is useful and be thankful for this and ignore those items that you feel are no value, I find many useful discusssions but those that have no value to me as an example discusion of guns on the trail I pass over. There is enough freedom on this site to express your opinion and to take from others what you value. We need to respect others opinions and questions so we can all grow.

Everything on earth is of mixed character, like a mingling of sand and sugar. Be like the wise ant which seizes only the sugar, and leaves the sand untouched. -Babaji, in 1894

Lugnut
05-28-2004, 00:44
Real hikers get along on the trail because they're too damned tired to argue! :D

Streamweaver
05-28-2004, 01:13
Real hikers get along on the trail because they're too damned tired to argue! :D You got it!! Sitting around playing on the puter all the time allows to much negative energy to build up! Hiking burns it off right quick!! Streamweaver

Mountain Dew
05-28-2004, 01:42
Lugnut.... "Real hikers get along on the trail because they're too damned tired to argue! " ..That is usually true. As I was coming down off of Mt. Washington with Greenman, Feral, and Sunkist I discovered it was gang up on Mountain Dew day. I found myself arguing with my best trail friends over stupid issues. They then took a blue blaze and I took the white blaze. Thirty minutes later I was lost and at a sign trying to figure out where I was. Coming down the blue blaze were my three friends laughing their asses off at me as I stood there mad as could be. I then had to backtrack 1.5 miles to the white blazes and got into Pinkum Notch in the dark with no headlight laughing at myself the whole last mile. Goodtimes....

Recently I got into several heated posts with Lone Wolfe. At trail days Baltimore Jack tricked me into an intruduction with Lone Wolfe. Very uncomfortable, but as Jack told me then ....Me and Lone Wolfe have the same political views as well as sharing other ideas about trail topics in general. I still find it disturbing that we agree on so many topics on WB though... :-? We even both own Harleys...

Streamweaver
05-28-2004, 01:54
Lugnut.... "Real hikers get along on the trail because they're too damned tired to argue! " ..That is usually true. As I was coming down off of Mt. Washington with Greenman, Feral, and Sunkist I discovered it was gang up on Mountain Dew day. I found myself arguing with my best trail friends over stupid issues. They then took a blue blaze and I took the white blaze. Thirty minutes later I was lost and at a sign trying to figure out where I was. Coming down the blue blaze were my three friends laughing their asses off at me as I stood there mad as could be. I then had to backtrack 1.5 miles to the white blazes and got into Pinkum Notch in the dark with no headlight laughing at myself the whole last mile. Goodtimes....

Recently I got into several heated posts with Lone Wolfe. At trail days Baltimore Jack tricked me into an intruduction with Lone Wolfe. Very uncomfortable, but as Jack told me then ....Me and Lone Wolfe have the same political views as well as sharing other ideas about trail topics in general. I still find it disturbing that we agree on so many topics on WB though... :-? We even both own Harleys...

You mean Lone Wolf??

charlottebronte
05-28-2004, 02:01
Could we maybe get back to the serious business of discussing the finer points of hammock underquilts, ounce-shaving, and BO?

Mountain Dew
05-28-2004, 02:01
uummm yeah, the Wolf with the blue blazers....

Streamweaver
05-28-2004, 02:08
Could we maybe get back to the serious business of discussing the finer points of hammock underquilts, ounce-shaving, and BO?
Sure we can ,but it might be a good idea to start a new thread on these subjects so it dont(hopefully) get all mucked up with the other (ahem)stuff.
I dont have a hammock so I dont know about underquilts,I do know a good bit about shaving ounces,and Im a certified exboit on BO!!!! LOL Balls in your court. Streamweaver