PDA

View Full Version : MA-NY section gear list

joeboxer
03-23-2009, 12:59
So I am doing MA-NY section early this May and im putting my gear list up for critique.:D
Gear:
Osprey atmos 65 - 4600 cu in
Mountain Hardware holofil 0 degree bag
old thermarest self-inflator
Eureka Spitfire 3 season and groundcloth
Lekis
Peak 1 stove
two cans of white gas
gsr pot and mug
two naglenes and a 1L platypus
Aquamira
New Balance trail runners

Clothes:
2 pairs of boxers
one pair of convertible nylon pants
baselayer poly tshirt
nylon button down
fleece
tyvek rain pants and jacket
beanie
2 pairs of medium weight wool socks
counterfeit crocs

Misc:
100 feet nylon paracord
bens 95%DEET
cell phone
disposable camera
2 bic lighters
roll of tp (squished with tube removed)
tooth brush and small tube of toothpaste
a piece of the one and only, as seen on tv, shamwow... :banana

First Aid:
Inhaler
band aids, gauze, antiseptic wipes
ibuprofen

I may have forgotten some things, but thats it, more or less. this will be my longest trip yet, so please tell me what you think!

Manwich
03-23-2009, 13:09
Decided it was too cold for Franconia Notch?

Whenya Leavin?

joeboxer
03-23-2009, 13:14
I would have loved to start at franconia! but the mud season trail closings in VT sound like too much of an issue, that I'm glad to now be aware of... So I had to cut NH and VT out of it and hope that I can do them later in the season.

Manwich
03-23-2009, 13:26
Ah. Well it looks like the AMC is doing a hike in NH-VT in late May:

http://trips.outdoors.org/index.cfm/method/Chapter_Trips.fullview/tripid/18432/preview/preview

Mud n all.

Blissful
03-23-2009, 13:27
Got some heavy gear you're carrying. Think you'd be fine with a 15 degree bag. maybe a z-rest pad. Peak one stove is heavy - consider alcohol or a pocket rocket. You can mail a canister to yoursel if needed - like to Kent, but call the outfitter to see if its in stock. I'd get a bigger playtpus and go with a nalgene or better yet, an Aquafina bottle which weighs less.
tyvek rain jacket - ? never heard of that one. Hope it protects well. I'd bring an outer jacket for warmth. I'd birng a pair of long underwear too. need one more pair of socks, imo
pack cover - ?
headlamp
sm knife
lexan spoon
map, guidebook pages

Wags
03-23-2009, 13:27
AHHHHHH i'm so jealous of the Sham WOW!!!!! my girl thinks i'm a freak b/c i want that thing! ehehhehe

-prolly only need 40' of parachord (if you're bringing it for bear bagging)

joeboxer
03-23-2009, 13:36

http://trips.outdoors.org/index.cfm/method/Chapter_Trips.fullview/tripid/18432/preview/preview

Mud n all.

Thats irritating, the green mountain site really makes a point to discourage hiking during mud season, oh well, I guess the AMC don't take no *****.

Manwich
03-23-2009, 13:48
To be fair, Mud Season is April 15th - Memorial Day Weekend, which is the weekend that hike falls upon.

RITBlake
03-23-2009, 13:49

Mud n all.

People pay to hike w/ large groups of people??

Manwich
03-23-2009, 13:51
People pay to hike w/ large groups of people??

I do. I like the comradery. I know about 75% of the hikers, and since im a section hiker, this is really my only excuse to get out there and go (Carpooling / Shuttling otherwise is a bitch.)

I actually happen to be registered for this hike.

joeboxer
03-23-2009, 14:00
Peak one stove is heavy - consider alcohol or a pocket rocket.

How long do you think one bottle of HEET would last?

Manwich
03-23-2009, 14:12
How long is your trip going to be? If I were you, I'd go with a pocket rocket. Backcountry outfitters in Kent has 4oz msr canisters for $4 and 8ozers for $5

RITBlake
03-23-2009, 16:18
I do. I like the comradery. I know about 75% of the hikers, and since im a section hiker, this is really my only excuse to get out there and go (Carpooling / Shuttling otherwise is a bitch.)

I actually happen to be registered for this hike.

Cool, good explanation. I get it now. Have fun!

Homer&Marje
03-23-2009, 16:58
Only thing I would suggest is a nylon bug net for your head. Some of those early spring black fly clouds can be intensely bad in some places out in the Berks. Have fun though... how long you goin for?

Homer&Marje
03-23-2009, 17:00
How long do you think one bottle of HEET would last?

Consider a 12 oz bottle, 1 oz per use, twice a day. So 1 bottle for every 6 days.

joeboxer
03-23-2009, 17:30
Im thinkin its gonna take about 2 weeks give or take a couple days.