PDA

View Full Version : Trail names...

Yukon
03-23-2009, 14:18
This question might have been asked before, but oh well. Is there an actual list of registered trail names somewhere? I'm trying to pick a trail name and I just don't want to pick something that has been used frequently or what not. I thought maybe just using WalterP, but it's pretty boring and is just my name and last name initial....so what's up people, let me know...thanks :)

Manwich
03-23-2009, 14:25
This question might have been asked before, but oh well. Is there an actual list of registered trail names somewhere? I'm trying to pick a trail name and I just don't want to pick something that has been used frequently or what not. I thought maybe just using WalterP, but it's pretty boring and is just my name and last name initial....so what's up people, let me know...thanks :)

totem's used.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2009, 14:36
I don't know that there is any official list or registry of trail names. Best you could do is go to trailjournals and look over the list of names for a couple of years to get an idea.

UnkaJesse
03-23-2009, 14:38
I'm sure Fluffer's still available.

Ox97GaMe
03-23-2009, 14:40
I am aware of 5 Ox hikers over the past 15 years.

Most common names used to have some sort of animal reference. There a lot of variations of; Bear, Cat, Fox, Wolf, Moose, and Mouse.

I dont know whether ATC has a database with this sort of information. I do know that they catalog each years thru hiker list so that it can be put in the AT Journeys magazine each spring. They might be able to assist.

And what is with hikers giving themselves trial names before they head to the woods. What happened to the good ole days when you got one given to you?

I like the names like 'Sleeps with Mice', 'BearBait', 'No Stove', 'Pyro', 'Drag-N-Fly', and 'Privy Boy'

The Weasel
03-23-2009, 14:42
Best way to get a trail name is the traditional way: Let it find YOU. Start the hike. Something will happen. You will know it then, and it is far more "special" when it does. This isn't the Interstate, and you're not on CB. Trust me; you'll be grateful if you wait. Pick a throwaway for now, such as an old nickname. When your real name "appears" you can let people know.

Weasey

Cabin Fever
03-23-2009, 14:49
It seems to me that every beginning hiker would be appropriately named Pack Mule.

Yukon
03-23-2009, 15:00
Yeah, I have a couple buddies from work that I have been hiking with and they keep calling me something after and incident on the trail, so it's sticking and I think I will use it.

The name would be "yukon"...BTW

The Weasel
03-23-2009, 15:07
Yukon --

If you're going to keep that name, do a PM to the Admins (ATTRoll, Sgt Rock and/or Alligator) and see if they can change your name here, if you don't want a new account. Otherwise, just start a new account with that name. It's OK.

Weasey

Rockhound
03-23-2009, 15:09
Go with Lone Wolf. I dont think anyone has taken that one yet.

John B
03-23-2009, 15:17
I kinda think that a first name-last name initial is a great trail name! :)

Manwich
03-23-2009, 15:20
you Would, John B.

My "Trail Name" used to be Tommy Sinatra, because I would sing sinatra (and my first name is Tommy.) A practice I've given up for the betterment of mankind. Some people in my AMC hiking group still call me that.

tenbeer
03-23-2009, 15:27
Take a quart of moonshine and a twelve pack of beer to a crowded shelter. Drink. You will have a trailname the next day. Promise!

flemdawg1
03-23-2009, 15:44
So what is it? Scratch Pad, peesself, Privy Diver, Down barf bag...

The Weasel
03-23-2009, 15:58
Take a quart of moonshine and a twelve pack of beer to a crowded shelter. Drink. You will have a trailname the next day. Promise!

Ten beers isn't enough? :-?

Weasey

Lone Wolf
03-23-2009, 16:02

Weasey

they don't sell ten packs

Cannibal
03-23-2009, 16:04
they don't sell ten packs
Ummmm, yes they do. :D
http://www.alibaba.com/product-tp/102551327/10_pack_Beer.html

tenbeer
03-23-2009, 16:07

Weasey
ten beers is my limit. As i progress in age I will have to change it to sixbeer.

The Weasel
03-23-2009, 16:13
ten beers is my limit. As i progress in age I will have to change it to sixbeer.

will that get you half a name?

Weasey

Monkeyboy
03-23-2009, 16:18
Only one MonkeyBoy........

This world isn't big enough for another.

Pokey2006
03-23-2009, 16:18
There's a bunch of Pokeys out there, but I still feel like my trail name is unique and mine alone, just because it was given to me for a very good reason (running late for the hiker shuttle....bad habit of mine). If you let the name come to you instead of picking it out for yourself, you'll realize that it's special, even if others have the same name.

Or, having someone else bestow the name on you could turn up a truly unique name. I recall a guy named TI85, who got the name because someone hear him talking enthusiastically about the game TI85. Now, I really doubt anyone else has the same trail name! I also doubt he could have thought of that name on his own.

Jim Adams
03-23-2009, 16:21
Best way to get a trail name is the traditional way: Let it find YOU. Start the hike. Something will happen. You will know it then, and it is far more "special" when it does. This isn't the Interstate, and you're not on CB. Trust me; you'll be grateful if you wait. Pick a throwaway for now, such as an old nickname. When your real name "appears" you can let people know.

Weasey

TW,
Was on the AT last week in Georgia...don't know if "Privy" would agree with you!:D
He hates the name but it has stuck with all around him...The boy was just talk'in too much s**t!;)

geek

Footslogger
03-23-2009, 16:22
=================

I'm an old dog ...mine's registered with the American Kennel Club.

'Slogger

sly dog
03-23-2009, 16:25
I ended up picking my nick name that a lot of friends know me by, Sly but added dog for my dog that hikes with me once and a while hence "Sly dog" and cuz the name sly is taken. I have done numerous hikes, some thru a state some extended weeks and a name never really found me. I know the day I get to thru hike I will go nameless until one finds me but for now I chose this one.

mindi
03-23-2009, 16:35
I don't get why all of a sudden people are choosing their own trailname. Is this a new thing?

Get it on the trail! :D

Cookerhiker
03-23-2009, 17:13
I don't get why all of a sudden people are choosing their own trailname. Is this a new thing?

Get it on the trail! :D

.........And what is with hikers giving themselves trail names before they head to the woods. What happened to the good ole days when you got one given to you? ....

Disagree. First of all, it's not "all of a sudden." Hikers have been giving themselves trail names for decades. Sure, some names given on the trail can be fitting and funny but often they're redundant and lacking in creativity since their range of consideration is limited to the trail environment.

Footslogger
03-23-2009, 17:32
Sure, some names given on the trail can be fitting and funny but often they're redundant and lacking in creativity since their range of consideration is limited to the trail environment.

================================

Good point. I can think of several from 2003, the year of my thru, and others that fall into that category.

'Slogger

Brett
03-23-2009, 22:34
Yeah, I have a couple buddies from work that I have been hiking with and they keep calling me something after and incident on the trail, so it's sticking and I think I will use it.

The name would be "yukon"...BTW

Like, "Yukon dooo ett!" :D

Yukon
03-24-2009, 07:37
My new alias is set! :)

saimyoji
03-24-2009, 07:45
You shoulda gone with minnesotasmithier.

Yukon
03-24-2009, 08:25

Not really sure what you mean by that, care to enlighten me?

Slo-go'en
03-24-2009, 09:56
My new alias is set! :)

Now you need to carry a bottle of Yukon Jack :) It mixes very well with Tang.

4eyedbuzzard
03-24-2009, 10:01
Ouch. That'll leave a mark.

ASUGrad
03-24-2009, 10:11
"Ouch. That'll leave a mark."

Fo shizzle

Yukon
03-24-2009, 10:29
Now you need to carry a bottle of Yukon Jack :) It mixes very well with Tang.

I always have a flask of the Maker's Mark in my pack...never had the yukon jack actually, might have to give it a try...

Slo-go'en
03-24-2009, 10:32
I always have a flask of the Maker's Mark in my pack...never had the yukon jack actually, might have to give it a try...

At 100 proof, yukon jack has a pretty good buzz per oz ratio!

superman
03-24-2009, 12:25
I'll give you a tip. Never get a trail name that's hard to live up to as you age.:)

Yukon
03-24-2009, 13:25
I'll give you a tip. Never get a trail name that's hard to live up to as you age.:)

Well my buddies gave me this name because of my beard constantly freezing and looking like yukon cornelius, and for how big I am (comparing it to the yukon area I guess)...so unless I shrink, not likely, and I can no longer grow a beard, I should be ok :)

Blissful
03-24-2009, 13:35
Get your name wherever. Trail or otherwise. Some poeple name themselves, others don't. Mine was on a card taped to my doorpost back when I was single.

Doesn't really matter.

flemdawg1
03-24-2009, 14:47

Well my buddies gave me this name because of my beard constantly freezing and looking like yukon cornelius, and for how big I am (comparing it to the yukon area I guess)...so unless I shrink, not likely, and I can no longer grow a beard, I should be ok :)

I think Superman was referring to Himself. Now I'm thinking of a Carly Simon song, guess which one?

CowHead
03-24-2009, 15:00
You really can't pick a name it is something that someone else must give you,

Sir-P-Alot
03-24-2009, 15:11
Just wait and you will end up with something as marvelous as Sir-P-Alot... They call me P for short....

DiamondDoug
03-24-2009, 16:16
I remember sitting on the side of Max Patch when Welches came over the ridge. "Hey, it's Diamond Doug," he said. "Duh-what?" I replied. "Diamond Doug. You are always signing your name in the register with a diamond, so you must be Diamond Doug." And that's how I became Diamond Doug. The name found me, and I have a story I'll never forget.

Yukon
05-29-2009, 15:30
So I started a trail journal and there is a guy with the name Yukon Cornelius giving me crap about my trail name. Seems there are always people out there who have to be a pain in the A$$ it seems. I have seen other multiple trail names, why does it matter?

m6amba
05-30-2009, 05:02
it doesnt matter.......tell him to put up or shut up....lol

i dont have a trail name yet... and considering im still "in training" for my best friend and i to thru hike GAME in 2014 (the year we turn 30) it will be awhile till i get one...unless i get named on a shorter trail before then

(first post BTW....good to be here)

ki0eh
05-30-2009, 05:55
i dont have a trail name yet...

How about "Morning Coffee"? Or "Sycamore Kid"?

(Hey, I don't have a trail name yet either. :D :welcome to WB.)