PDA

View Full Version : Source for silk material?

rustyb
05-26-2004, 23:30
Does anyone have a good silk source that's suitable for an ultra-light sleeping bag liner?

I went to OWF's website & didn't see anything.

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 23:34
I just went to a fabric store. It wasn't cheap. I would have been better off buying a salt design on sale on E-Bay or at Sierra Trading Post. But at least I got it in a cool pattern.

dixicritter
05-26-2004, 23:34
We got the silk I used for SGT Rock's silk bag liner at a Hancock Fabrics store on the sale rack I believe, but could be mistaken about that it has been a while since I made that liner.

I think the regular silk would be better for durability, but as I understand from "he who will remain nameless" (see above) weight does win out sometimes over durability. :D

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 23:36
We got the silk I used for SGT Rock's silk bag liner at a Hancock Fabrics store on the sale rack I believe, but could be mistaken about that it has been a while since I made that liner.

I think the regular silk would be better for durability, but as I understand from "he who will remain nameless" (see above) weight does win out sometimes over durability. :D

She meant me :datz

dixicritter
05-26-2004, 23:37
She meant me :datz

:eek: Dang you're quick.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 11:11
I always thought that silk came from silk worms...

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 11:16

Is "he who will remain nameless" a "gram wennie"? :D

rustyb
05-27-2004, 16:47
Thanks everyone. I checked out the local fabric store last night and didn't see anything that looked like it would make a light liner. Ok, I have a confession. Yes, I'm a gram weenie. I just can't help myself.

Anyhow, I'll keep looking and check out eBay too.

tarbubble
06-01-2004, 22:42
go to Goodwill and find an XL women's "broomstick" skirt (a very full skirt that is heavily gathered at the waistband). there are always cheap, lightweight silk ones at my local GW and one alone must supply almost 2 yards of fabric. deconstruct two of them and voila!

(note - take a measuring tape along to confirm my guesses. i'd hate to have you buy one on my advice and have my estimation of the fabric volume be incorrect. measure around the hem, and then up the seam.)

Shoe Leather Express
06-02-2004, 07:13
Just Google it! :banana

Try here, (http://www.aurorasilk.com/shop/silk-fabric.shtml) here, (http://www.srfabrics.com/silks/silk.htm) and here. (http://www.fabrics.net/silk.asp)

gardenville
06-02-2004, 11:15
I use silk for a lot of things. I even had Ed Speer custom make me one of his hammocks from silk I sent him. It is much nicer to lay on than ripstop nylon. It is lighter and cooler for summer use. The bug net is even silk. I get my silk from Thai Silk in Los Altos, CA. They will be as cheap or cheaper than any place you will find other than something on sale. Their silk is from $1.75 a yard to about $5.00 a yard for what you will need. I made a silk liner for a sleeping bag out of some that was 36" wide and $2.00 a yard. http://www.thaisilks.com

rustyb
06-02-2004, 15:48
Thanks for the links & info everyone.

I have a question though. Which is warmer, synthetic silk or natural silk? Also, which is the lighter of the two? I haven't been able to locate that info on any of the web sites.

gardenville
06-03-2004, 20:57
What do you want to make? Synthetic silk?? I only use natural silk. Warm?? don't count on something silk such as a silk bag liner adding much to the real warmth of a sleeping bag if that is where you are going with the question. As to which is lighter? Which is lighter a pound of rocks or a pound of M&M's? You can buy silk in different weight per yard just like you can buy ripstop nylon in different weights per yard. This goes back to my 1st question, what do you want to make?

rustyb
06-03-2004, 23:51
Gardenville,

In rereading my post, I realize some pretty silly questions were asked. That's what happens when I post in haste.

Anyhow, if you didn't gather from my barrage of questions lately, I'm tyring to figure out a way to add as much warmth to a bag I'm considering without negating (too severely) the purpose of getting that bag in the first place - to save weight!

So, I thought making a silk liner would be one option for my particular needs to add 5 or so degrees. But, there seems to be a cajillion different silk materials available hence my most recent line of questions.

Perhaps I should just forget about a silk liner and try out a 0.8oz/yrd sil-nylon VBL as another poster suggested. If only I had the time to play around with various methods.....

Thanks for your post.

gardenville
06-04-2004, 00:55
There are no silly questions when it comes to trying to make your own gear. What type of sleeping bag do you have? If it is a Down bag you want to keep your sweat (water) out of the down. That takes a VBL. If it is a snythetic fill bag then you just need a liner to help keep it clean. I understand, there is a lot of marketing information about bag liners and what they will do. I use a VBL of some sort in every Down bag I have, every time I sleep in one. A very old and heavy nylon VBL I have is said to add up to 10 degrees extra warmth to any bag it is used in. This VBL weighs 16oz. I don't trust that claim and pick a bag to cover whatever temp range I might be out in.

A few months ago I made a new VBL out of real light silk (2.9oz)and .5oz spinnaker sailmaker ripstop (4.9oz) total weight with a drawl cord is 7.2oz. Either of these bags could stand alone if I wanted them to. The cost of the silk was $10 and the cost of the .5 spinnaker ripstop was $15 ($3.00 a yard) with some left-over.

This VBL was made as 2 bags with the silk bag inside the ripstop bag. The silk is nicer and cooler to your skin for the inside so I can us this VBL in my summer Down bag. Does it add any extra warmth to a Down bag, I would guess yes. Do I depend on the extra warmth, NO.

Sewing a liner (VBL or just a liner) is very easy. Think pillow case and you have it. If you need it for a snythetic bag go for the silk at about 3oz and $10. If you go for the silk let me know and I can suggest what silk to order if you want me to.

rustyb
06-04-2004, 11:06
Gardernville,

"What type of sleeping bag do you have?" I don't have it just yet but I'm seriously leaning towards the WM Linelite. The reason: it's the closest thing I can find to my FF Rock Wren (perfectly suited for me but is some times too warm) and it's one full pound lighter. My thoughts were to take a liner of some sorts when I thought the temps might call for a few extra degress warmth. Otherwise, I'd just leave the liner at home.

I'm thinking if I can't add a few degrees to the Linelite with some sort of liner which weighs less than 5 oz, I'll reconsider my bag choice.....probably forgoing the versitility I seek and going with the WM Highlite.

The ".5oz spinnaker sailmaker ripstop" sounds interesting to me. It seems however a VBL liner made from it would have been lighter than 4.9oz. Was there a particular reason it weighed in at 4.9oz or am I miscalculating some where? Also, I assume this ".5oz spinnaker" is impregnated with silicone, correct?

Thanks again for the input.

Cypress
10-15-2004, 16:32
Hi,

I am trying to make a silk (or synthetic silk) liner right now. I havnet found a local source, has anybody ordered from Thaisilks.com, i really have no idea which one to get, some of them are really expensive. Thanks,

Cypress

gardenville
10-15-2004, 16:41
Hi,

I am trying to make a silk (or synthetic silk) liner right now. I havnet found a local source, has anybody ordered from Thaisilks.com, i really have no idea which one to get, some of them are really expensive. Thanks,

Cypress

Hi, Go look at my old Posts. I buy all my Silk from Thai Silks and have for over 10 years. If you search out my old post I talk about the type of silk I use for different peojects.