PDA

View Full Version : Sanitizing Water Bladders

Rowdy Yates
03-23-2009, 14:59
:confused: I have a wtaer bladder encased in a canvas cover that I use to collect water in the evenings for my camp while on the Trail. I am curious about how others may have sanitized theirs? Molds and other "critters" collect inside while stored and I want to remove them. Any suggestions?

Many Walks
03-23-2009, 15:02
Capful of Chlorine bleach in a qt. of water, swish it around, drain, and air dry. Should be fine.

Footslogger
03-23-2009, 15:21
The bleach will definitely work ...just rinse well to avoid the after taste.

Another method is to use the MicroPure (Chlorine Dioxide) tablets. I carry a 4 Liter Platy for gathering water when I hike. I generally use it directly to cook my dinner and then add tablets to the remaining water, stirr/skake it up and then let it sit all night. The water gets purified and the inside walls of the Platy get disinfected at the same time. Has always worked well for me.

'Slogger

kanga
03-23-2009, 15:26
yep. 10 % bleach solution. i have had the black gunkies not come out of the mouth piece tho and just had to give in and buy a new one.

fallstherain
03-24-2009, 08:28
I know that camelbak sells a long wire brush to clean the tube too. They also sell tablets to clean the whole pack but the tablets don't exactly clear all of the mold.

Hooch
03-24-2009, 12:15
:confused: I have a water bladder encased in a canvas cover that I use to collect water in the evenings for my camp while on the Trail. I am curious about how others may have sanitized theirs? Molds and other "critters" collect inside while stored and I want to remove them. Any suggestions?I have a simlar type bladder as well. I clean mine with hot, soapy water and bleach, rinse it thoroughly and dry it as completely as possible. After it's as dry as I can get it, I roll it up, put a rubber band around it and store it in the freezer. The freezer is about as far from ideal conditions as it gets for bacteria, mold, etc to grow. It's just plain too cold for funk to grow there, so it's my place of choice to store my water bladders.

G. Rabbit
03-24-2009, 12:24
I have a simlar type bladder as well. I clean mine with hot, soapy water and bleach, rinse it thoroughly and dry it as completely as possible. After it's as dry as I can get it, I roll it up, put a rubber band around it and store it in the freezer. The freezer is about as far from ideal conditions as it gets for bacteria, mold, etc to grow. It's just plain too cold for funk to grow there, so it's my place of choice to store my water bladders.

Now why didn't I ever think to stick it in the freezer? That's too simple, easy. Great tip!

Manwich
03-24-2009, 12:29
During hiking season where I'm hiking every other week, I just fill it with water and keep it in the fridge so I don't have to clean it every other weekend.