PDA

View Full Version : Gear List: any tips?

salparadise1970
03-23-2009, 15:21
First, if you are reading this, you probably care about others that share your passion for the trail, so thanks. Now that the pandering for a response is done, anyone who has a moment, please read and give any feedback you may have.

Gear list (# are approx. weight in oz)

Big Stuff
Golite Quest pack-51
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1-45
Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina-31
Thermolite Ultralight Ridgerest-11
Petzl Tactikka Lamp-2.75
Leatherman Surge-12
Jetboil w/ Spork-15
Katahdyn Hiker Pro Filter-11
Aquamira-2
Leki Trekking Poles-15

Clothes
Sleeping set of capaliene 1-11 oz.
Hiking set of capaliene 1-11 oz
Set of capaliene 3-14 oz
Hiking shorts-?
Chameleon Moab-31
3 pairs socks-6
2 pairs drawers-4.2
Fleece-4.2
Rain Shadow Jacket-13
Reed Rain Pants-5
Watch-1.2

Misc.
Med Kit (Toothbrush, flossers, Dr. Bonners, ACE bandage, Ibuprofen, athletic tape, hand sanatizer, bug spray, moleskin, lip balm)
Whistle
LIghter
Extra glasses
Appalachian Pages
needle
20 foot parachute cord

Again, I would greatly appreciate any feedback. I begin my NOBO next week.

Thanks in advanced.

Manwich
03-23-2009, 15:27
i'd pack a garbage bag and ziploc bag, what are you carrying water in? If you need a multitool, the leatherman micra will save you weight (its 1.75 oz)

salparadise1970
03-23-2009, 15:44
Bags noted, going to try with 2 one litre gatorade bottles until i get further north where I have read water gets more scarce. Noted concerning multitool.

mountain squid
03-23-2009, 15:59
Some observations:

T-shirt
long sleeve shirt
camp footwear
gloves
hat
bandana/buff
hydration system for drinking on the go
something extra to hold water
50' para cord instead of 20'
AquaMira instead of filter (not both)
3 sets of capilene?!?
maps
paper/pencil
camera
sunscreen
ear plugs
duct tape
TP

If no cell phone, phone card and important phone #s.

And, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Good list!

Not sure I'd bother with the hand sanitizer. You have the Dr. Bronners for washing your hands before handling food.

Your hands are gonna get dirty, just like the rest of you and your gear.

Pootz
03-24-2009, 14:30
Leathermen to heavy and unnecessary -Swiss Army Classic SD

Aqua Mire or the filter but not both. I like Aqua Mira

I would not take any Dr. Bonners - If you can stand the smell you might want to take some Dr. Bronner soap.

An ace bandage something you could do without. Carry a bandanna instead, it has many uses.

Make a photo reduced size copy of your guide book - Much lighter. I was able to reduce the thur hiker guide to 16 8.5 X 11 pages. Kind of small writing but much lighter.

Good luck with your hike

flemdawg1
03-24-2009, 14:42
I'd go with a Leatherman Juice S2 or Micra instead of a Surge, bigtime weight savings and I doubt you'll miss the bit drivers. Dump 1 set of Capilene and get some regular tech-wick clothes (I'm partial to Target C9 stuff). Can't wear underwear for everything. I also like hydration bladders. Keep the Hand San, you're more likely to get sick from not washing your hands than buggy water. I'd also add a bandana and a small shamy towel.

Darwin again
03-24-2009, 14:50
Big Stuff
Golite Quest pack-51
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1-45
Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina-31
Thermolite Ultralight Ridgerest-11
Petzl Tactikka Lamp-2.75
Leatherman Surge-12 (leave home)
Jetboil w/ Spork (leave home, get a plastic spoon)-15
Katahdyn Hiker Pro Filter-11
Aquamira-2 (I'm assuming one set here)
Leki Trekking Poles-15

Clothes
Sleeping set of capaliene 1-11 oz.
Hiking set of capaliene 1-11 oz
Set of capaliene 3-14 oz
Hiking shorts-YES (plus one set of shorts to sleep in)
Chameleon Moab-31
3 pairs socks-6 (see below)
2 pairs drawers-4.2 (leave home, wear the shorts)
Fleece-4.2
Rain Shadow Jacket-13
Reed Rain Pants-5
Watch-1.2

Misc.
Med Kit (Toothbrush, flossers, Dr. Bonners (leave home), ACE bandage, Ibuprofen (lots!), athletic tape (nope), hand sanatizer (see below), bug spray (leave it home unless you're going out in summer or know you'll need it), moleskin, lip balm)
Whistle
Lighter -- Small-sized Bic
Extra glasses
Appalachian Pages
needle
20 foot parachute cord (for bear bagging, I assume)

I would add:
1- Poop Kit, a gallon ziplock containing a roll of TP, your hand sanitizer and a travel pack of Wet Ones antibacterial wipes (14 to a pack). The wet ones will save you from a bad case of monkey butt eventually.
2- A good, small pair of tweezers for ticks or other annoyances.
3 - For a knife, get the smallest one you can find that includes scissors.
4 - whistle for emergency use (attached to packstrap?)
5 - A pair of liner gloves, plus one pair of warm gloves, one fleece hat, one Turtle Fur-type neck warmer.
6 - Wear one pair of socks and take four spares, that way, you're good for five days.
6 - two bandanas.
7 - What about water bottles? I'd get three, one-liter Platypus. At 0.7 of an ounce each, they cannot be beat and I've never had one leak.
8 - baseball cap to keep rain and snow out of your eyes and off the glasses and to wear around camp.
9 - contact solution if you wear them, plus two spare pair of contacts.
I probably missed something...

Good luck and good walking!

Darwin again
03-24-2009, 22:23
Never mind on the whistle, you've got it, my bad...
For bear bagging, Kelty Triptease cord is amazingly light and strong.

Tipi Walter
03-24-2009, 22:45
It might help if you take the big three, the tent, the UltraLamina bag and the ridgerest pad, and set it up in the backyard--wherever--and starting sleeping on the ground for many nights. You might of already done this, but if not, it'll tell you real quick how the pad will work comfort wise and how the bag does with the pad, etc. Let the fun begin!

kayak karl
03-24-2009, 22:51
It might help if you take the big three, the tent, the UltraLamina bag and the ridgerest pad, and set it up in the backyard--wherever--and starting sleeping on the ground for many nights. You might of already done this, but if not, it'll tell you real quick how the pad will work comfort wise and how the bag does with the pad, etc. Let the fun begin!
good advice. even with my hammock there is a difference between 3 hours and a long night. good way to test temp ratings of gear also.

salparadise1970
03-25-2009, 12:02
Thanks to all who have replied. You are all good people for taking time to help others.

Blissful
03-26-2009, 15:19
Good list!

Not sure I'd bother with the hand sanitizer. You have the Dr. Bronners for washing your hands before handling food.

Your hands are gonna get dirty, just like the rest of you and your gear.

Disagree - take the hand sanitizer and leave the bronners at home. You don't want to bother washing hands with Bronners or by a water source anyway. and it's easy to squirt it on your hands. True your hands get dirty but illnesses are brought about by hands. SO the sanitizer is good to have.

And I would take maps, an outer insulating jacket, a hat, and gloves

Kerosene
03-26-2009, 20:59
I'd go with 40' of cord for bear-bagging.

Ditch the drawers and either go commando or use pants with sewn-in mesh liners.

Replace the 13 oz. Rain Shadow jacket with Frogg Toggs (9 oz). If you have the money, consider an Integral Designs eVent jacket (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/appareldetail.cfm/ID1517) or The Packa (http://www.thepacka.com) for improved breathability.

I prefer a spork over a spoon, but a long-handled one can come in handy.

I vote for hand sanitizer for pre-meal and post-duty, but there are times when you'll want soap to wash away the crud.

Replace the Leatherman with one of the mini multi-tools out there that weigh well under 2 ounces.

Pokey2006
03-26-2009, 23:35
Everyone had good advice here. I agree with losing the filter and one of the sets of capiliene and adding bandana, TP, duct tape, sunscreen.

Also, you might want to add extra headlamp batteries.

Other things you can lose:
--Rain pants
--Whistle
--Bug spray

Wise Old Owl
03-26-2009, 23:49
Bug spray doesn't cut it - must be Deep Woods OFF

Pokey2006
03-27-2009, 00:22
If going SOBO, ya, you'd need Deep Woods Off, 100 percent DEET, for sure. Going NOBO, not so much, at least not for a few months. Though having a small amount is a nice luxury, just for dealing with the annoying gnats. Hardly necessary, though.

Wags
03-27-2009, 01:37
filter may be nice once you hit the northern states in summertime. droughts can turn the springs into trickles. if not, perhaps some other way