PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Spy rock

tenbeer
03-23-2009, 17:17
I took a day hike to Spy Rock yesterday with my six year old son and seventeen year old daughter. I was running short on time so I didn't have time to find a good way to the top. I tried to my immediate right and left of the rock. I did not circle to the rear. I did not see a suitable route for a youngster. I'm not sure I saw an easy route for myself. How have others climbed this rock. You do not have to climb this rock to continue on the trail, but I would imagine most thrus would climb it because the spur trail is so close to the AT. one minute walk.

trippclark
03-23-2009, 17:25
Heading north, I climbed up it on the south side and recall it being a bit "trickier" than I felt comfortable with, so I climbed down it on the north side. That way was longer but easier. By north and south, I am talking about as the trail goes, not necessarily compass directions. If my recollection is correct, I'd think the climb either way would be a bit challenging for a six year old.

tenbeer
03-23-2009, 17:50
When i read this topic, i think about that sort of things http://sourceradix.com/m/mon.html
You may check that, and most likely it would change your mind. Whatever.
you lost me!

Hikerhead
03-23-2009, 17:50
Once, my GF and I climbed it. She was NOT going down the same way we went up. So all around it I looked for a good place to go down. Found a way like 1/3 of the way around counter clock wise. Big mistake, the rhodies tore us up getting back to the trail. Go up and down on the trail is probably the best way

gravityman
03-23-2009, 17:51
I remember a pine tree near a crack that you had to use to climb up. I don't remember it being easy, but do know we made it up with packs...

Gravity

jlb2012
03-23-2009, 17:51
its been a few years but as I remember it we went up the trail north side (ie facing the rock from the trail we went up the left side) - nothing too complicated as I recall

Press
03-23-2009, 23:09
Facing the rock from the trail side, the approach side, go about 20 feet or so to your right to a pretty big crack that also has some kind of tree or sapling growing in it, you can clamber up that way pretty easily. But I can never find my way down that way and always have a harder time coming down than going up!