PDA

View Full Version : Emergency blankets as VBL & other liner questions.

rustyb
05-27-2004, 10:25
At only 4oz & $9.99, this would seem like an inexpensive alternative to a conventional & pricey Vapor Barrier sleeping bag liner. Any thoughts?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=81279&memberId=12500226

Though not a VBL, here's another inexpensive & light (4.9oz) bag liner at $7.99 that supposedly adds +5 degrees to a sleeping bag. It's "non-woven nylon" though which I'm not familar with. Can someone describe the feel of this material & how it might compare to a silk liner? Also, any other thoughts?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?partNumber=45898&memberId=12500226

I'm just thinking of various ways one could add warmth to a sleeping bag....on top of wearing clothes.

Thanks,
r

gravityman
05-27-2004, 11:41
Get into a garbage bag and into your sleeping bag. Cheapest and lightest vapor barrier there is. It'll keep you a load more warm, but it might feel a little clammy. But that's the cost of a VBL.

Gravity man

Dances with Mice
05-27-2004, 12:21
Rustb wrote: At only 4oz & $9.99, this would seem like an inexpensive alternative to a conventional & pricey Vapor Barrier sleeping bag liner. Any thoughts?
<link snipped>
Though not a VBL, here's another inexpensive & light (4.9oz) bag liner at $7.99 that supposedly adds +5 degrees to a sleeping bag. It's "non-woven nylon" though which I'm not familar with. Can someone describe the feel of this material & how it might compare to a silk liner? Also, any other thoughts
<link snipped>
-----------------------
As luck would have it, I have both.

The first is meant for emergency use, or limited use, only. Once it starts to tear it won't stop. It's krinkly and noisy. You'll never get it back in the original packaging once its out. I've kept one in the bottom of my pack for years, started when I was involved with Scouts in case one of the kids ever got wet & cold. Still carry it out of habit, I guess. It's not a bad idea to have one. It's kind of a pain to use routinely because there's only one way in and one way out. If you have to make a quick trip to the bathroom you'll spend much time inchworming out of the bag.

The second is soft and very open, not solid like silk. If you look inside an unused disposable diaper (because who wants to look inside a used one?), it's almost the same material that's in contact with the baby's skin. Doesn't tear easily. I don't know how much warmth it adds, but it's good for keeping your bag clean.

It's also staticy (is that a word?). Static, as in electricity. It will cling to your thermals and won't let go. On dry nights you'll create your own little lightening storm everytime you move. Which is actually kind of fun. It'll provide minutes of entertainment in the dark.

To add warmth, at 7 oz and about $20, check out Campmor item 89033

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=99840&memberId=12500226

This is durable, soft, not noisy, repacks easily, and will cover the outside of your bag. I suppose you could use it inside the bag as well.

Pencil Pusher
05-27-2004, 13:26
I've used one of those emergency blankets on an unplanned bivy (regrettably). You probably won't even make it through the night, much less multiple nights, without that thing just getting shredded. For the first three or four hours I snoozed good and it was warm, but then shredded as I started to shift around. Then it sucks because you're trying to convince yourself you can use these shredded pieces still to keep you warm. It's probably better to just turn on the headlamp and start walking for warmth.

The alternative are those emergency space blankets that have more of a tarp feel. Those things will last. Wrap yourself up like a burrito in that and you'll be good to go. Or bring a bivy bag and do the burrito wrap for extra warmth. If you could sew the end of the emergency blanket to the end of another, you could wrap you and your sweetie (or close climbing partner, if he's cool with that) up for some good warmth. Stick the feet in the pack... home sweet home. Well, at least we try and convince ourselves that.

nazdarovye
05-27-2004, 13:36
Rusty - I used one this past winter and had it last through several trips. The only degradation I saw was that the silver coating started to wear off, and other than that, it worked great. The one I used was a slightly more expensive one (about $10) that's a bag, not just a blanket.

As noted earlier, though, they sure are noisy! Next year I'll probably buy or make one out of silnylon, or use a silnylon rain suit to keep my camping buddies from wanting to strangle me every time I roll over in the night.

Jaybird
05-27-2004, 14:12
At only 4oz & $9.99, this would seem like an inexpensive alternative to a conventional & pricey Vapor Barrier sleeping bag liner. Any thoughts?......................................... ...............

RustyB

you musta got the KINGSIZE "emergency blanket"...mine only weighs 2oz.
i've never used it for a sleeping bag liner....but "DragonFly" did (a fellow hiker in my recent section hike) to cover her lower body...mostly feet.

the only "down-side" is...when you move....everyone hears it's "crinklin'" sound...you can use this or go with a nylon liner....more expensive but more quiet. I only use my emergency blanket if i am "tent-ing".
(then i generally use it as footprint for the ol' tent)

hungryhowie
05-27-2004, 16:05
Rustyb,

I know you make some of your own stuff, here's a perfect example of how to save weight AND money.

Can you build your own VBL for less than $10 that also weighs less than 4oz? Absolutely. Go down to your local Wal*Mart, purchase 2.5-3 yds of 1.1oz silnylon @ $1.00/yd, and sew your own. You can put a small zipper or some velcro to facilitate getting in and out of if you like, or just make a tapered sack with a drawstring at the top hem. Either way, it'll cost less than your listed options and be more durable as well.

If you feel like making the absolute lightest VBL possible, purchase some waterproof 0.9oz/yd fabric (spinnaker cloth) from www.thru-hiker.com @$10/yd. Either way, the VBL should weigh no more than 2.5-3oz.

-Howie

rustyb
06-02-2004, 16:02
Thanks a bunch for the info everyone.

And Howie, your idea of using 0.9oz/yrd fabric piqued my curiousity. I looked at that link and assume you're referring to the 0.8 oz Downproof Ultralite Ripstop fabric. Is that correct? Any idea how much sleeping bag warmth a material like that would add?

hungryhowie
06-02-2004, 18:38
Thanks a bunch for the info everyone.

And Howie, your idea of using 0.9oz/yrd fabric piqued my curiousity. I looked at that link and assume you're referring to the 0.8 oz Downproof Ultralite Ripstop fabric. Is that correct? Any idea how much sleeping bag warmth a material like that would add?

Actually, there is a 0.9oz nylon in the "coated fabrics" section. It is based on the 0.8oz fabric, only made waterproof by a silicone impregnation. The 0.8oz would add no more than 5 degrees I wouldn't think. It would be no different than using a silk liner (as they are both breathable). You were talking (at least at first) about Vapor barrier liners, which must be waterproof to trap the vapor. Generally, VBLs add more warmth, but they can be clammy and uncomfortable. My rainwear doubles as my VBL, but you may not carry rainpants as a kayaker...I dunno. I would imagine that the 0.9oz fabric would be good for about 5-10*F, but your mileage will vary...sleeping bag temps are a VERY personal thing. Depending on a host of conditions, the bag that kept you warm to *30F last night may only keep you warm to 50*F tonite (or vice versa). eat well, have a safety margin, and stay safe.

-Howie