PDA

View Full Version : 37.8 lbs for 5 days....

Jayboflavin04
03-24-2009, 07:15
Well I am pretty disappointed. I packed up everything including food and H20 for 5 days. 37.8lbs. Thought I was gonna be round 30! I figure since I am new I will "foot" the wght and keep a tight inventory! I must say that my Aether 70 carries it quite comfortably though.

On the lighter side......I leave on friday WOOT WOOOT!!! SO PUMPED....My first backpacking trip in 15yrs. :banana:banana:banana

Wanna thank everyone for answering my stoopid questions. Hope to see and meet alot of thrus. We hit Allens gap Sunday mornin!!!

bigcranky
03-24-2009, 07:20
One's pack is always heavier than planned. As you eat your food, the pack weight will go down. On your next trip, you'll know what you used and what you didn't use, and adjust your packing list accordingly.

Have a great hike.

Tipi Walter
03-24-2009, 07:25
Well I am pretty disappointed. I packed up everything including food and H20 for 5 days. 37.8lbs. Thought I was gonna be round 30! I figure since I am new I will "foot" the wght and keep a tight inventory! I must say that my Aether 70 carries it quite comfortably though.

On the lighter side......I leave on friday WOOT WOOOT!!! SO PUMPED....My first backpacking trip in 15yrs. :banana:banana:banana

Wanna thank everyone for answering my stoopid questions. Hope to see and meet alot of thrus. We hit Allens gap Sunday mornin!!!

Getting out is always exciting(hence the dancing bananas)and I feel for you. I just got back from a 12 day trip and had to get back to placate the women but it's time to square up the gear for the next trip and figure out my food choices. Anyway, don't worry about the weight. It's not about the weight. To me it's about getting out and staying out, not so much about the weight.

Summit
03-24-2009, 07:38
I'm guessing you'll find you are taking too much food . . . happens often, especially those who don't hike often (or it's been a long time). The other thing I picked up on, reading between the lines of your post, is carrying 'H2O!' With experience, this time of year, you should have to carry very little, if any, water. Check your trail data and maps and only carry water if it's several miles between sources. Most all sources should be flowing in early spring. I might carry a swig or two as a reward for topping out a long ascent, but that's about it. Just tank up (internally) at the water sources.

Jayboflavin04
03-24-2009, 07:44
I have a 2L platy. If I fill it half way that will be good for 2lbs. Thanks. I will try that while I am out. Besides the marked springs on the map are there any streams and creeks along the trail. I didnt see any on the map.

Summit
03-24-2009, 07:50
Not sure what section you are doing, but during wet season there are often a lot of suitable flowing unmarked streams. You'll get a better feel for how wet and how well the water's flowing when you get out there day one! Have fun!

Speaking of over-carrying water, I get a kick when I see someone who's, by appearances, painstakingly got their pack weight down to 20 or so lbs, but at the water source where we meet, pull out and fill up two liters of water or more, when under the conditions is absolutely unnecessary. And yet they've cut half the handle off their tooth brush to reduce weight! :)

Gray Blazer
03-24-2009, 07:58
I've heard some of the water sources in the balds are iffy. Camel up at every opportunity if that is the case. If you are heading to Hot Springs I heard the water source at Rich Mnt was dry. Things could have change with the recent rains. Your pack weight sounds good to me. Better to have a little extra food just in case. I have my pack weight down to about the same as yours. When I get a real back packing tent, that will knock at least 3 lbs off of mine . Have Fun

FamilyGuy
03-24-2009, 11:17
Take the beer out of the pack. That always works well for me.

bruchko
03-24-2009, 12:12
walked that section the weekend of March 13-15. Plenty of water - springs flowing great. Didn't even have to treat water

I wouldn't carry alot of extra water

Jayboflavin04
03-24-2009, 12:16
great info thanks

Wags
03-24-2009, 13:33
my township just issued a burn ban. evident of a drought, so some smaller streams in PA may be dried out fyi

Manwich
03-24-2009, 13:35
i'm under the same burn ban over here in jersey. apparently the air is way too dry?

Ladytrekker
03-24-2009, 13:55
With all this talk about water sources I need a suggestion on water filter I am so overwhelmed by the choices.

Gray Blazer
03-24-2009, 14:01
I like my katadyn pro.

Pootz
03-24-2009, 14:04

It is hard to be at 30 or less pounds when you start with a pack that is over 4 pounds empty. The good side is that you have a pack that will last forever, and Osprey stands behind their products.

I hope you have a great hike.

Summit
03-24-2009, 14:39
With all this talk about water sources I need a suggestion on water filter I am so overwhelmed by the choices.Consider the popular alternative to pump filters . . . Steripen (search on WB for an abundance of pros, cons, and bickering! :D ). I've been a very satisfied user of mine for over two years. I hate pumping, spewing, squirting, clogging filters that freeze your fingers in cold weather. Filters rely on 'removal' of harmful 'germs' in the water. The Steripen's UV bombardment sterilizes the germ so no reproduction can occur. Nearly all municipal water treatment facilities include the same UV treatment that Steripen uses. I've never experienced the slightest hint of indigestion since I started using one.

chiefduffy
03-24-2009, 17:13
AquaMira

darkage
03-24-2009, 17:19
I like my katadyn pro.

I'll second that, i like my katadyn hiker pro also ...

And yeah, PA is currently in a burn ban .. however we got 4-5 days of incoming rain within the week or so .... i'm hoping for a good down pour ...

Wags
03-24-2009, 23:07
we need it bad!

Jayboflavin04
03-25-2009, 09:15
It is hard to be at 30 or less pounds when you start with a pack that is over 4 pounds empty. The good side is that you have a pack that will last forever, and Osprey stands behind their products.

This was not my first choice in packs! Like i said it was comfortable and I needed a pack. It was the second time I headed to the outfitter and they didnt have my pack size in stock! Arrrgghhh!
That pack should be in great shape so I can sell it next year for something lighter.

I know where I can shave some weight right now!!!! But they are comfort items for a first time outting....so it is all good.....

Cant HMOH.....if I dont know what works for me....

What I am carrying.
Aether 70
HS TT cloudburst
WM ultralite
Prolite 3 (reg)....wanna try a short for a night....
Marmot Precip
Monbell UL down inner jacket
OR Ion windshirt
2X socks (smartwools)
Columbia Midwght Polyster base layer(top n bottom)
TNF beanie hat
cheapo acrylic/wool gloves
MLD rain mitts
Camera....kinda heavy...needs replaced with something smaller
Simple first aid kit (in aloksak...5 bandaids, 2 gauze, bandana, saftey pin, advil, pepto, neosporin packets, extra batteries)
50' rope
20' shock cord (project with tarp tent)
Fire steel scout
Feather fire alcohol stove
titanium spoon
Snow peak Ti cookset 1L...will be cooking for two...
Camp cup (needs replaced heavy SS)
Leatherman Micra
Map compass...book for map n compass.....I am learnin
2L Platy hoser....(2L platy for camp, 1L Nalgene for measuring)
1/2 MSR pack towel
Head lamp (black diamond cosmos)
MSR sweetwater/Aquamira backup
Ti Goat bivy....comfort item.
Pad n Pencil

Summit
03-25-2009, 11:09
Looks good! As you already acknowledged, a couple of 'niceties' but we all take a few of those. Enjoy!

Wags
03-25-2009, 11:12
i have the aether 70 as well. you can lose close to a pound by taking off the lid. i find i don't miss the space b/c the pack is big enough w/o it

flemdawg1
03-25-2009, 11:16
Leave book (read it, then take a index card w/ some important notes), bivy, mitts, SS cup (get a cheap plastic gas station insul'd mug), lighter camera. Rain pants?

Jayboflavin04
03-25-2009, 11:33
I will make a last minute decision on the lid. I have considered it tho.....
Good idea on the book(maybe i will make some photo copies). Gonna stick to the SS Mug, will replace later. Cant afford a new camera at this time(cant find smaller lighter case for it) Marmot precip top n bottom check.

Thanks for the input....IS IT FRIDAY YET!!!!?????

Gray Blazer
03-25-2009, 11:38
Thanks for the input....IS IT FRIDAY YET!!!!?????

If you live in Australia, yes.

JAK
03-25-2009, 11:39
Have a blast. Everyone heading out on hikes is getting me pumped.
I might do a long hike in May.

darkage
03-25-2009, 11:41
Hells yeah, Enjoy the hike ... got 2 weeks in june and a going out for a weekend this friday .... What time is it? ... Time to get your hike on!

Del Q
03-25-2009, 23:18
My 3 cents, take less food. I am leaving in the am for Virginia, probably at about 32 pounds with food, water and scotch. My suggestion - take 2-3 pounds of food out, you will be fine.

Sirclimbsalot
03-26-2009, 14:45
I agree about taking less food. That seems to be one area where I have tended to throw in a few "treats" at the last minute....I do not do that anymore....well, uh, except for more scotch...

: )