PDA

View Full Version : Pool Of Blood...

Young Scott
03-24-2009, 11:26
I went for a hike last week which consisted of mostly down hill walking. My big toes were sore mainly because the boots were a little small. This week I began to notice a pool of blood forming under my left big toe. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so, what the heck is happening?!

Maddog
03-24-2009, 11:41
blood blister? got pics? :)

Panzer1
03-24-2009, 11:45
Yea, lets see a pic..

Panzer

big_muddy
03-24-2009, 11:49
sat bye-bye toenail

Gray Blazer
03-24-2009, 11:51
Eventually the toenail is gonna fall off, seriously. Your big toe is hitting the front edge of the boot, especially if the boot is too small. Don't worry, it's no biggie. just gross.

Young Scott
03-24-2009, 11:55
It's not a blister. Just blood.

Manwich
03-24-2009, 11:56
Last year Mrs. Totem opened the fridge and a roommate's precariously balanced minikeg of beer rolled out and landed on her big toe. The entirety of it turned black and to worsen her already-freakedoutiness she was told by all her friends and a nurse at her job that the nail will in all liklihood fall off.

It did not. The toe was black for 3 months but eventually it did go away. It depends, really.

Everybody's bodies react differently. I'm immune to some things others arent. When I was a child, I discovered that I'm rubber, and that words you say bounce off of me.

Manwich
03-24-2009, 11:57
Technically it is a blister since it is contained blood.

splash1986
03-24-2009, 11:57
It will feel better when the toenail falls off.

Hikerhead
03-24-2009, 12:26
The toe nail will fall off. It will continue to do this unless you change to bigger boots. On your next boots, wear the socks that you normally wear hiking when you trying them on and make sure that you can slide your finger between your foot and the back of the boot. That will insure that you have extra room in the front of the boot. No, I'm not a boot expert....this is what works for me.

Gray Blazer
03-24-2009, 12:35
Call the toe truck!

Brushy Sage
03-24-2009, 12:47
I remember that somethingl like this happened to my grandfather when I was a young boy. He, a mountain man, got out his pocket knife and used the small blade to drill a tiny hole in the toenail, whereupon the blood escaped and his toenail was saved. Considering the risk of infection, though, it might make more sense just to wait and let the nail fall off naturally. Note that the toe will be very sensitive as a new nail grows.

Manwich
03-24-2009, 12:52
I remember that somethingl like this happened to my grandfather when I was a young boy. He, a mountain man, got out his pocket knife and used the small blade to drill a tiny hole in the toenail, whereupon the blood escaped and his toenail was saved. Considering the risk of infection, though, it might make more sense just to wait and let the nail fall off naturally. Note that the toe will be very sensitive as a new nail grows.

Mrs. Totem's never had a chance to bleed out and it didnt fall off. covered maybe 80% of under the toe

Hoop
03-24-2009, 15:11
If you injure your toe and the blood pools beneath the nail, the pressure can be quite painful. Happened to me at work once, they sent me to the doc and he straightened out a paper clip and lit a match to get the tip red, then 'psst' it melted thru the nail and out spurted a jet of red. Pain disappeared, nail was ok.

Compass
03-24-2009, 16:07
Bigger shoe/boot is a start but if the laces are not tight enough to keep your toes off the end of the shoe/boot it will hapen again. Tight but not to tight can be a fine line.

kayak karl
03-24-2009, 16:59
i lost 3 toe nails in jan and feb. foot doc said i should cut nails shorter then i did. the nails were being bumped every step and separated from skin. as long as it doesn't get infected and shot puss out when you poke a pin under your nail, you should be OK:D

Roots
03-24-2009, 17:01
I had 2 toe nails turn black last year during my section. I would suggest keeping them cut and filed really well. Don't worry, your foot isn't rotting off, just your toenails.:D

Ender
03-24-2009, 17:14
To clarify: Is the blood under the toenail, or under the toe itself?

If under the toenail, just like everyone else says you're going to lose the toenail.

If it's under the toe, that means you have an open wound and you're bleeding.

Manwich
03-24-2009, 17:15
If under the toenail, just like everyone else says you're going to lose the toenail.

I didn't say that.

Ender
03-24-2009, 17:17
I didn't say that.

Sorry... just like most people said. :p

Homer&Marje
03-24-2009, 19:00
If you injure your toe and the blood pools beneath the nail, the pressure can be quite painful. Happened to me at work once, they sent me to the doc and he straightened out a paper clip and lit a match to get the tip red, then 'psst' it melted thru the nail and out spurted a jet of red. Pain disappeared, nail was ok.

This is the proper thing to do if it's under the toe nail... I'm confused though is it under the bottom of your toe? Cause that could cause a hematoma and then a blood clot and get real nasty

Gray Blazer
03-24-2009, 19:13
Hiker's should trim the toenails like someone said or get pedicures. We are asking our feet to do a lot.

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2009, 19:18
I went for a hike last week which consisted of mostly down hill walking. My big toes were sore mainly because the boots were a little small. This week I began to notice a pool of blood forming under my left big toe. Has anyone ever had this happen? If so, what the heck is happening?!
Perfectly normal, just weakness leaving the body.

wrongway_08
03-24-2009, 20:45
If its still fresh, take a 1/8" drill bit and drill a hole through the tonenail. This will releive the pressure and make it feel much better. Drill slowly and when you see blood dribble out - stop.

Just dont push while drilling... its only a toe nail - the drill bit will go through without any problem.

beakerman
03-24-2009, 20:52
put a hole in it to let the blood out and you may keep the offending nail. That has always worked for me when I busted a thumbnail-which I have done a number of times.I have never had it happen with my toes because I always wear proper sized footware. That's been my experience anyway.

beakerman
03-24-2009, 20:53
I always use a hot needle and burn through rather than a drill bit by the way it leaves a cleaner hole.

Desert Reprobate
03-24-2009, 20:58
New entertainment on the trail. We can all sit around the fire at night and give each other pedicures

Homer&Marje
03-25-2009, 06:27
I don't know about pedi's but everyone always has good this blister that blister, toenail gone, what the hell is that on my foot stories:D

weary
03-25-2009, 09:37
Probably your boots are a little too small.

Gray Blazer
03-25-2009, 09:40
New entertainment on the trail. We can all sit around the fire at night and give each other pedicures

I don't know. How many aisian girl hikers out there?

Now I'm gonna get reported for not being PC.