PDA

View Full Version : No Such A Thing As a Professional Hiker

Manwich
03-24-2009, 12:32
I'd like to see how everyone weighs in on this.

Slimer
03-24-2009, 12:41
Pro hikers do exist.
There are hikers who get paid to test gear on a full time basis, although I suspect many will micro-analyze the term "professional"

sbennett
03-24-2009, 12:45
Is this in response to Taba saying he was a professional hiker a week or two ago?

saimyoji
03-24-2009, 12:46
Pro hikers do exist.
There are hikers who get paid to test gear on a full time basis, although I suspect many will micro-analyze the term "professional"

not professional, but "hiker." no one get paid simply to hike. you may get paid to take pictures, test gear, write books, lay survey, find new water sources, blaze trail, maintain trail, whatever....

...but hike?

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 12:46
ain't no such a thing as a pro walker.

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 12:48

what's your take on karl's hike last year? he was well sponsored.

Hooch
03-24-2009, 12:50
Pro hikers do exist.
There are hikers who get paid to test gear on a full time basis......."Just playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't that make them a professional gear tester? The fact that they get to hike is incidental. Just sayin'.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 12:51
what's your take on karl's hike last year? he was well sponsored.

my take? he's an ultra marathoner. one of the best in the world. he ain't a backpacker

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 12:56
my take? he's an ultra marathoner. one of the best in the world. he ain't a backpacker

the poll was regarding the label 'professional hiker' ... and i know Karl ran a lot, but still whatever you want to call what he did, it was a 'professional' transit of the AT

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 13:03
he's not a hiker

fiddlehead
03-24-2009, 13:08
I would regard Chris Townsend as a professional hiker.
Just like I would Edward Abbey if he was still alive.
I know a few professionals in Nepal too.

You can learn a lot from some of these guys if you can keep an open mind.

In the states? Perhaps Ray Jardine.

Manwich
03-24-2009, 13:33
i would consider them experienced hikers

YoungMoose
03-24-2009, 13:35
I think when i hear the word of a proffesional hiker they get paid for it. But no one gets payed to hike. THat is why i dont think there is a proffesional hiker. some may be more into hiking as others but that doesnt mean they are proffesional

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 13:35
A friend of mine recently returned from Kilimanjaro. The sherpas there are professional and carry a ton of stuff. Sick thing is they track the number of tourists who die on the mountain and only provide an estimate of the number of sherpas.

Manwich
03-24-2009, 13:36
that is because the sherpas do not die, they transcend into pure spiritual creaminess

Blissful
03-24-2009, 13:37
There are hiker addicts for sure. :)

saimyoji
03-24-2009, 13:40
pure spiritual creaminess

now that's sick. i think you're turning warrgy on, better stop it.

bigmac_in
03-24-2009, 13:45

Sure there is - this is a prowalker -

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41OZis3SW-L._AA280_.jpg

Slo-go'en
03-24-2009, 13:47
It depends on how you define "hiker". A guide or outward bound leader and the like who get paid could be considered a professional hiker.

saimyoji
03-24-2009, 14:04
It depends on how you define "hiker". A guide or outward bound leader and the like who get paid could be considered a professional hiker.

sure. as much as a tour guide could be considered a professional tourist. :rolleyes:

Cabin Fever
03-24-2009, 14:11
I give you exhibit A: professional hiker Andrew Skurka (http://www.andrewskurka.com/).

tenbeer
03-24-2009, 14:16
if so wear do sign up for the draft.

Ladytrekker
03-24-2009, 14:19
Couldn't a professional hiker be labeled the same as a professional student. It is what they have chosen to do, does professional only mean professional if you are paid for it. Isn't a professional simply someone that is an expert at what they do.

the goat
03-24-2009, 14:19
sherpas hike for a living.

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2009, 14:31
When I think of the term "Professional Hiker", I think in terms of professional cyclist, runner, boxer, football player... or any other type athlete. There just are none, there could be, but there's not.

There are different perspectives,definitions or context of the word "Professional" which could apply to certain hikers, but it just sounds stupid.

Roots
03-24-2009, 14:38
To me 'professionals' are paid to do what they do. Hikers that sport all the gear from companies wanting their imput, are hikers with a gear testing profession. Just sayin'...

sliderule
03-24-2009, 14:53
if so wear do sign up for the draft.

You should finish grammar school first!!!

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 14:55
To me 'professionals' are paid to do what they do. Hikers that sport all the gear from companies wanting their imput, are hikers with a gear testing profession. Just sayin'...

this thread is silly. just sayin' :)

emerald
03-24-2009, 15:05

They carry the burden of others who would rather pay someone else than carry their own. That's not hiking.

It may come close, but I don't expect sherpas retire on what they make. Someone may tell us otherwise and I invite it.

Cabin Fever
03-24-2009, 15:36
Main Entry: 1proˇfesˇsionˇal http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?profes06.wav=professional')) Pronunciation: \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\ Function: adjective Date: 1606 1 a: of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession) b: engaged in one of the learned professions (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/professions) c (1): characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession) (2): exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace2 a: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b: having a particular profession (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession) as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c: engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/profession) <a professional patriot>
— proˇfesˇsionˇalˇly adverb

Like we are arguing about, professional could be somebody really good at something or somebody paid to do something. I could pay a kid to mow my yard and he fit the term professional. However, I could be an expert in yards, but not do it for a money and be considered a pro. However you say it, there are professional hikers.

the goat
03-24-2009, 15:40

They carry the burden of others who would rather pay someone else than carry their own.
i don't disagree.

That's not hiking.
why not? they walk up mountains carrying stuff, and get paid to do it.

It may come close, but I don't expect sherpas retire on what they make.
no one ever said "professional" = rich. sherpas make enough to support their families with their profession.

drastic_quench
03-24-2009, 15:45
The pack mule and guide, but it seems like the hiking is not what they're getting paid for. - and I eagerly await a sherpa to join Whiteblaze. The AT would be like a snack for them.

emerald
03-24-2009, 15:48
I'm still not buying.

bigmac_in
03-24-2009, 15:55

Yeah - gives me a bad case of Who Gives SH**.

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 15:56
anyone know how to change a lightbulb, er, lamp?

Wheeler
03-24-2009, 15:56
Thinkin' of going pro. PM me and I'll tell you where to send the check's. I'm only one person, so don't lose hope if I don't get back to you right away. Thanks.

Newb
03-24-2009, 16:02
I've heard of professional street-walkers.

flemdawg1
03-24-2009, 16:43
Join the NPHA! National Pro Hikers Association...um..League....Tour? Would we have teams like the adventure-challenge race folks, or is it an individual sport like Ultramarathoning?

Roots
03-24-2009, 16:57
Yupperdoodle....:sun

Bearpaw
03-24-2009, 16:58
I made a meager living as an instructor with the National Outdoor Leadership School. You could sorta kinda say I was a "professional hiker". But I was really a teacher/mentor who taught people to navigate, glissade, problem solve, etc. That the subject was "advanced walking" didn't exactly make me a professional hiker.

Bilko
03-24-2009, 17:22
Baltimore Jack, has got to be a professional hiker. He has been able to make a living from his knowledge of hiking. If there is a professional it is him. He needs to write a book and put out a video and that will put on the final stamp of approval. 'Nuff Said.

Feral Bill
03-24-2009, 17:25
I consider paid trip leaders to be professional hikers, just not well paid ones.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 18:20
Baltimore Jack, has got to be a professional hiker. He has been able to make a living from his knowledge of hiking. If there is a professional it is him. He needs to write a book and put out a video and that will put on the final stamp of approval. 'Nuff Said.

what a crock! :D he makes a living caretaking, workin' at a store and a few outfitters

saimyoji
03-24-2009, 18:47
what a crock! :D he makes a living caretaking, workin' at a store and a few outfitters

no no its true. he also craps snickers and pisses bourbon.

sheepdog
03-24-2009, 18:55
sherpas

the goat
03-24-2009, 18:55

i'm sure jack would be amused to learn that he's been making a living off of his hiking all this time!:D

1azarus
03-24-2009, 19:16
...i think you bias the results by having the no choice first,...no?

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2009, 19:23
...i think you bias the results by having the no choice first,...no?
There may be something to that, but only because there are so many idiots out there. That's why capitalism is such a great system:D

emerald
03-24-2009, 19:38
sherpas make enough to support their families with their profession.

Isn't their work seasonal? Do they ordinarily work other jobs during the off-season?

russb
03-24-2009, 19:43
Who wants to be the world's first true professional hiker? I would like to hire someone to go on a hike this weekend. Experience required. Compensation $1 via paypal upon completion of the hike. Trail and distance negotiable. Anyone?

Red Hat
03-24-2009, 21:21
Lion King is a true professional hiker. He earns his living by hiking and making videos of his hike. He is not living on any kind of pension or Social Security. He is the only one I can think of.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 21:23
Lion King is a true professional hiker. He earns his living by hiking and making videos of his hike. He is not living on any kind of pension or Social Security. He is the only one I can think of.

that's funny too :D

Hooch
03-24-2009, 21:26
Lion King is a true professional hiker. He earns his living by hiking and making videos of his hike. He is not living on any kind of pension or Social Security. He is the only one I can think of.Again, just playing devil's advocate here. But if you ask me, Lion King is a film maker and documentarian who just happens to hike. That doesn't make homeboy a professional hiker.

CrumbSnatcher
03-24-2009, 21:30
you might be right,i sent that guy a burger &fries in the mail disguised as a money order, when he was on the ADT.

Red Hat
03-24-2009, 21:34
that's funny too :D
Funny? This year he is actually getting paid to take a "kid" along. That's professional hiking....

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 21:34
Again, just playing devil's advocate here. But if you ask me, Lion King is a film maker and documentarian who just happens to hike. That doesn't make homeboy a professional hiker.

I didn't realize white blaze was paying him to post all those vids. wow!

emerald
03-24-2009, 21:45
Many who've completed a through hike have stopped hiking reluctantly and considered how they might continue to live a life which incorporates as much of that experience as possible into what follows.

Maybe one of the people here who's come closest is Jeff Hunter.

fiddlehead
03-24-2009, 21:45
I can't imagine why folks wouldn't classify some of the Sherpas as pros.

I know one who was paid to come to America to teach hiking. He thought it was funny that one of the things he taught was how to wipe your buttt with a rock. (i think it pretty funny too)

How many of you so called pros know that little hiking trick?

I know another that gets involved in one of the Asian social websites. I will ask him if he would care to join whiteblaze. Not sure if his reading and writing skills are good enough. He can speak excellent English but writing and reading is sometimes much harder.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 21:48

I know one who was paid to come to America to teach hiking. He thought it was funny that one of the things he taught was how to wipe your buttt with a rock. (i think it pretty funny too)

I know another that gets involved in one of the Asian social websites. I will ask him if he would care to join whiteblaze. Not sure if his reading and writing skills are good enough. He can speak excellent English but writing and reading is sometimes much harder.

i've taken many a dump at 10 degrees in the pitch dark on jay peak while making snow and using snowballs to wipe my ass. i'm a pro. a rock ain't ****

emerald
03-24-2009, 21:49

Maybe some of us who are reluctant don't know much about them? Is the word usually capitalized?

CrumbSnatcher
03-24-2009, 21:51

hey fiddlehead,i know the rock trick! you sling the rock at whoever has the biggest roll of mountain money(TP) and hopefully knock them out. i can agree sherpas are pro's trying to feed the families. i hope those rich ass climbers tip alot,probably not!!!

emerald
03-24-2009, 21:51
i've taken many a dump at 10 degrees in the pitch dark on jay peak while making snow and using snowballs to wipe my ass.

Thanks for sharing!:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 21:53
Thanks for sharing!:rolleyes:

lighten up francis :rolleyes:

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 21:56

they are definitely pros. not too sure what to think of those that pay them though. a friend was a guest on a sherpa trip. he hated it - more the experience than having someone shouldering the burden.

Invite him. Or just translate some stories, betcha he has some funny ones.

fiddlehead
03-24-2009, 22:04
Maybe some of us who are reluctant don't know much about them? Is the word usually capitalized?

Sherpa is a tribe of people who immigrated to an area near Mt. Everest (on the Nepal side) about 500 years ago from Tibet.
They are very much like Tibetans only perhaps more learned, more westernized, etc.
Their last name is always Sherpa as it describes to their society where they come from. They don't have a whole lot of different first names either so often will put their village name after their first and last name: Example: Gelgzen Sherpa Taksindu is the name of my best friend and one I have known since 1988. He has been to my home in America 4 times, has done some hiking in GA/NC/TN.
Interesting that when we did that hike, back in 1991 i believe, he never fastened his hip belt (it was a borrowed pack and i don't think he thought it was heavy enough to call for fastening the hip belt)
He carried real potatoes and onions. Loved building big fires (as he had never been able to do that before) and knew what grits were made from as soon as he tasted them.
I've seen them throw 2 and even 3 backpacks in a basket (or Dolpo i think it is called) and put a sling around it with ALL The weight going on their forehead. I've seen them carry loads of well over 100 lbs, smiling and talking away at 15,000' as if nothing special was happening.

Anyway, that's a few Sherpa points that perhaps not everyone is aware of.

fiddlehead
03-24-2009, 22:08
Lots more info on Sherpas can be found in my video of one of my Nepal trips with 3 other thru-hikers back in 2004.
It can be found here. (http://www.adventurelite.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=252)

the goat
03-25-2009, 00:24

They carry the burden of others who would rather pay someone else than carry their own. That's not hiking.

It may come close, but I don't expect sherpas retire on what they make. Someone may tell us otherwise and I invite it.

i'm sure jack would be amused to learn that he's been making a living off of his hiking all this time!:D

Isn't their work seasonal? Do they ordinarily work other jobs during the off-season?

sherpa = someone who gets paid to guide + carry stuff on hikes through mountains.

baltimore jack = someone who has never gotten paid for his hiking through mountains. (and i'll wager he's never carried someone else's sch!t either!:D)

fiddlehead
03-25-2009, 02:16
sherpa = someone who gets paid to guide + carry stuff on hikes through mountains.
:D)

That may be your definition of a "Sherpa" but i'm sure many in the world would disagree with it.

What you are describing is commonly called a "porter" unlike "Sherpa"

You may want to read my earlier post about who they are and where they come from.

Most of the professional porters in Nepal use the dopo or basket with the line around their head and use a short cane that they use mainly to prop up the load when they are resting (still standing) without bothering to take off the load and sit down. I guess it is much harder to get it back up there than the energy saved by sitting down to rest.

by the way, there are professional hikers (or porters) in Thailand too. I've seen then on some of my jungle treks in the bigger mountains of northern Thailand.
They prefer to carry the huge loads balanced on a stick or bamboo going across their shoulders with up to 60 lbs on each end. I tried to pick one up once and couldn't budge it.

Like i said before, there is a lot that can be learned from very experienced hikers. No way is the right way. It depends on where you are, social do's and don'ts, how you were accustomed to carrying your load (sometimes brother or sister) around since you were a young kid.

i've seen 7 year olds working the fields and carrying more than most thru-hikers (which one do you think did the most whining?)

A few pics from Asia: Top is a porter in Thailand
Bottom, 3 Sherpas we used for a high altitude trek in Nepal in 2000.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/thaiporter01.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg201/fiddleheadpa/thaiporter02.jpg

kanga
03-25-2009, 07:07
that makes me feel like a puss. i guess if you grow up doing it though you build the right muscles. also, has any body mentioned ridgerunners?

4eyedbuzzard
03-25-2009, 07:44
I'm thinking that in order to be a "professional" at any one thing, the activity being labeled a profession must be the primary thing you receive income for doing. Sherpas primarily get paid not because of hiking and climbing, but because they guide, carry loads and provide support services for their employers. Same for those who do trail videos and/or and write books/trail guides, look after hikers, maintain trails, shelters, etc. For those that generate income from these activities, hiking is an important part of their profession, but is secondary to the service that actually generates the income. EVERYBODY walks (almost). Lots of people walk miles and miles everyday at their jobs, including carrying stuff (tools, product, supplies, etc) up and down , and some even do it outdoors and even in the woods -- but their profession isn't that of a "pro walker".

sheepdog
03-25-2009, 09:04
Mannnnn.....we can sure pick a subject to death

sherrill
03-25-2009, 09:07
I also noticed that porters on the Inca Trail who had "backpacks" never fastened the hip belt. Some of those guys (although "illegal") were carrying 70-80 lbs easy.

I would call them "professional" hikers. Many would turn around and do the trail again for weeks at a time. It was the bulk of their income.

the goat
03-25-2009, 09:27

That may be your definition of a "Sherpa" but i'm sure many in the world would disagree with it.

actually, i'm just going with webster's definition:rolleyes:
Main Entry: Sherˇpa http://www.merriam-webster.com/images/audio.gif (javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?sherpa01.wav=Sherpa')) Pronunciation: \ˈsher-pə, ˈshər-\ Function: noun Etymology: of Tibetan origin; akin to Tibetan (Central dialects) shārba, shārpo easterner, Sherpa Date: 1847 : a member of a Tibetan people living on the high southern slopes of the Himalayas in eastern Nepal and known for providing support for foreign trekkers and mountain climbers

4eyedbuzzard
03-25-2009, 09:30

Does that make us professional nitpickers?:confused:

http://www.projectprimate.org/update804/grooming3.jpg

kayak karl
03-25-2009, 09:37
your right! now, if a hiker goes pro, can he ever amateur hike again:-?

Tin Man
03-25-2009, 10:17

nope as you would be receiving checks when your stories go into syndication

Newb
03-25-2009, 10:42
I wonder why there's no Olympic backpacking event.?

Tin Man
03-25-2009, 10:57
I wonder why there's no Olympic backpacking event.?

well, there is a white blaze event, it's called pole vaulting over mouse turds...

Cabin Fever
03-25-2009, 12:31
Unless I missed it, nobody responded to my post about Andrew Skurka. That just goes to show the White Blaze facilitates arguments, not discussions.

Andrew Skurka is the closest thing to a professional hiker I know of.

leeki pole
03-25-2009, 12:48
Yes, but you must lay out one year from hiking and give up your professional status. This from the "Rules of Hiking." Then you can be an amateur again, just like golf. I quote from the USHA rule book. Overseas, I'm not so sure. That is governed by the Royal and Ancient Hiking Society's rulebook (RAHS). I am not familiar with the fact that Sherpas actually conform to the RAHS. For example, you are not allowed by either rule book to carry more than 14 hiking poles, nor accept advice from anyone other than your Sherpa. The penalty for such advice would be disqualification.

fiddlehead
03-25-2009, 13:47
Unless I missed it, nobody responded to my post about Andrew Skurka. That just goes to show the White Blaze facilitates arguments, not discussions.

Andrew Skurka is the closest thing to a professional hiker I know of.

I would consider Andrew Skurka a pro. Same with Chris Townsend who i mentioned. Chris not only hikes full time but has written more than 10 books about his passion.

There are lots of hiking professionals in the world as far as i'm concerned.

flemdawg1
03-25-2009, 14:38
Andrew Skurka's another writer/filmmaker/speaker. Like Lionking w/ a better website. Or Johnny Malloy. Their income is dependent upon the books, films, speeches, etc that they sell.

Six-Six
03-25-2009, 14:42
I will add to the Skurka is a professional list. He is sponsored to hike. They pay his annual salary. He has other sponsors that pay him to use and test and comment on their gear. If he wasn't hiking, they would not want his opinion and they wouldn't pay him for his input on the free gear they give him. It still is as a result of his hiking. Skurka also speaks about his hiking and gets a speaker's fee. Even that comes as a result of his hiking. If he wasn't hiking, nobody would pay him to speak.

Hikers can be professional hikers.

MrSparex
09-21-2009, 23:44
Amateur verses professional...
Regardless if your hiking, biking, golfing or fishing...
Some qualify as amateurs when others follow a line of conduct.
I don't get compensated for playing golf but Tiger Woods does!
Someone hiking as their livelihood and hiking is their field of endeavor
MUST not be an amateur! A professional is learned in the aspects of
their activity and often this is marked by compensation but not always.
A professional hiker conforms to ethical and technical aspects of hiking.
This is truly an ignorant question to ask if professional hikers exist however
one must realize that many people don't comprehend the magnitude of
genuine professionalism. When I go hiking it is for recreation. I am an amateur
hiker that still has much to learn. I don't have sponsors.
Hiking hasn't been my main thing in life the past 20 years.
Hiking will not be my main thing in life the NEXT 20 years.
I haven't written books nor am I writing one. I don't log my miles. I'm not trying to build up
the sport (and some fool will come along and ask if it's a sport).
I haven't read, studied, attended workshops on gear etc. Hiking is not the
MAIN thing I do. I do not approach it with a businesslike attitude.
I'm not engaged (or interested) in edifying the sport. I'm not going to write articles
or be featured in "backpacker" .................I could go on with this.
Bottom line...I'm not a professional hiker. I do however personally know one!
How about this: "Which of the new tents do you like best"?
...THAT'S a whiteblaze question? "Hike on Garth"!!!!!!!!!!!
.......................................MrSparex... ...........................................

Reid
09-22-2009, 00:04
I give you exhibit A: professional hiker Andrew Skurka (http://www.andrewskurka.com/).

http://www.montbell.us/athletes/disp.php?athlete_id=3

sasquatch2014
09-22-2009, 07:46
Yes they call them Sherpas :D

bpitt
09-22-2009, 09:26
My oldest daughter (9) thinks I'm pro, for the sole reason that I've done a section hike on the A.T. Now, those without children won't understand that, but those who do have them, will.

I'm pro to noone but one, and that's all that matters to me.