PDA

View Full Version : Tom Floyd Wayside Shelter

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:06
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Tom Floyd Wayside Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Mini-Mosey
03-15-2003, 18:33
I've tented there a couple of times-used the same spot-4S I believe. Also stopped by the shelter itself. Seems nice enough-quite nice, has a porch with benches. The spring is somewhere down a trail-I didn't check it out. Also has a privy a little downhill from the shelter. Basically comprised of the shelter itself, privy, spring, tenting areas, altogether covering somwhat of a wider area. When I tented there, I couldn't see the shelter or privy from where I was. They were quite a ways uphill from where I was tenting at one of the tent sites.

Peaks
03-16-2003, 08:38
First shelter north of Shenandoah National Park. It's just outside the boundry. Built during the years when you couldn't stay overnight at the shelters in the National Park.

jlb2012
03-16-2003, 08:51
still can't stay over night at the shelters in the SNP - the places you can stay over night are called "huts" - the "shelters" are there for picnic use and other day time uses although they can be used overnight if in extreme weather

Sleepy the Arab
03-16-2003, 21:05
Watch your head! I knocked myself silly on a crossbeam as I walked out of the shelter. Bonk! Nuthin' but stars and tweety birds till the Denton shelter.

HallsofIvy
05-25-2003, 10:27
Of course, the previous applies only to people who are "verically challenged" (i.e. TOO TALL!).

Sleepy the Arab
05-25-2003, 17:35
I thought short people were the ones "vertically challenged' whereas I am vertically...er....endowed. :)

Now that I think of it (or perhaps my memory has just returned), I've whacked my head on many, many shelter crossbeams.

HallsofIvy
05-26-2003, 09:37
Which clearly proves that it is those who are too tall that are "challenged"!

Noggin
11-19-2003, 22:53
Anybody gots a link to a pic of that thar Thom Floyd shelter? I wants to no whut it looks like befor i nock my noggin on that thar low beam.

Bankrobber
11-20-2003, 00:39
I saw a bear a few hundred yards before the shelter in June. Be careful with your food.

gumball
11-20-2003, 06:59
We were SOBO 'ng a section hike this summer, and had, as i recall, just finished the roller coaster section when we hit the Tom Floyd. Actually, we were so darned tired, we opted to tent it in the tent sites, so i never actually saw the shelter--but the tent site we stayed at (#2, I think) was very nice--about half way up toward the shelter. I never saw the privy, but did walk over to the spring...it was a bit hard to get to (some rocks to climb and sit on to get to the water), but otherwise fine. I really like our tent site--the two couples below us had some downed trees on theirs they had to clear, but ours was nicely nestled and very flat.

screwysquirrel
01-02-2004, 03:26
Yeah! Wait till you have to get some water from the gully thats the water source and you go all the way down there for nothing.

Lone Wolf
08-27-2004, 02:08
Was at this shelter late this afternoon. The spring is DRY. NADA. So if anyone is planning a soiree for this weekend bring aqua.

Kerosene
08-27-2004, 08:34
Found this picture of the Tom Floyd Wayside (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3217/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/566) shelter by Lobo. Looks like they've added a porch since I passed through in '86.

Newb
08-14-2005, 12:59
Went to the Floyd Wayside yesterday. (13 Aug 2005). The shelter is clean and well maintained, and no garbage or such around. The Grill pictured in the previous post is gone. The Privy is clean, but the privy pit seems to be filling up a bit.

I read the Journal in the shelter and it seems some NOBOS were still straggling through as recently as 05 August 2005. One of the journal entries mentioned that the shelter had no mice or vermin. I did find some bear scat about 40 yards up the trail...so hang your food I would suggest.

Tractor
08-01-2006, 07:40
Stayed at Floyd Wayside a couple of days back. The "spring" is only a trickle so bring a pot to catch from the pipe. No pool to scoop or pump from. Maybe running a half pint/minute if that. Plenty of stream water just a few miles north though. Bear curious and active around there now.

swift
08-01-2006, 17:08
made a stop here on a rainy afternoon in 03, very muddy slippery trail when its wet. Someone had left a sleeping bag in the sleeping shelf up top and when I picked up the corner there was a litter of a dozen or so newborn mice and a vicious mice mom from hell!!! EEK

Country Roads
07-17-2010, 16:44
Stayed here last night of NOBO section hike last september (2009). Was told the spring was dry so I packed 3 L of water from Gravel Spring Hut. THere was water at Ginger Spring, but it was slow. THe shelter was pretty decent. According to a NOBO Thruhiker that had finished up in late August (he was on trail to do some trail magic for SOBO's), the roof was leaking badly in June. THe roof was apparently replaced, but still had a few leaks (needs the nails hammered down to the washers). We did, however, stay dry with only a few puddles between a couple of us. It is listed as sleeping 6, but seemed kinda tight for 6. Privy decent. Campsites looked like they might be wet in a downpour. I did not check out this theory though.

C Seeker
11-26-2010, 09:51
Water at the shelter has been low, and mainly dry for the last couple years because of the drought. Bring plenty of water! There is two streams heading north from the shelter before you hit 522; above the streams are house, so choose wisely.

soulslosher
02-03-2011, 23:49
I wouldn't stay in the shelter on a very cold night! The floor is elevated and all you could feel was cold air coming up through the gaps in the floorboards.

Otherwise, a very nice shelter and area. Plenty of tent-sites and nice privy, and a nice porch on the front of the shelter too.