PDA

View Full Version : Wild Things AT Pack

kncats
05-27-2004, 13:19
Does any one have any experience with the Wild Things AT Pack? At 2 lbs 8 oz it looks good for an ultra-light backpack. All though that 5000 ci leaves you wide open for loading it up too much, I think that with some restraint in what you take with you it seems like it would make a good year round pack.

Hikerhead
05-27-2004, 14:01
I have one. It's a good pack if you can keep it around 30 lbs. You might have some disconfort if you get around 40lb. Although that will probably be true for most packs. I used this on my last two section hikes of one week each. The first in NH in oct and with some winter gear it weighed around 40lbs. I had some disconfort in my shoulders. The last week was this year in April. It weighed around around 33 lbs and I had no problem at all, some days hiking for 12 hours. The pack is made out of a lightweight silnylon. It's not bullet proof so you must take some care with it. I have managed to poke a small hole in it somehow. I added some ducktape to the bottom to help prevent wear and tear on it. It has two side pockets that look small but hold right much. And It also has a decent hood on it with one zipper. It has a close cell foam pad folded over once placed inside a pocket inside that gives it some rigidity that I used in my hammock when the temp got down low. That helped. If your pack weight is around 30lbs I think you'll like it.

Chickety
05-27-2004, 18:31
I swung into their store in N.Conway last week and was looking at their AT Pack, it looked BIG! After asking a few questions, I was told that the company is going to be coming out with another size AT Pack (bit smaller version) sometime this year. I said, thank you very much and I'll be back!

DavidR
07-17-2004, 00:12
I ran into a thru hiker this spring and he was having trouble with his Wild Things pack. He showed me where the stitching was coming loose on the hip belt. He said he was sure Wild Things would repair the pack but unfortunatly that doesn't do him a whole lot of good in the middle of a thru... he wasn't happy.

hpowers
07-17-2004, 15:14
I checked into the Wild Things Andinista before purchasing a McHale. The McHale weighs just a little more, however, the construction is bombproof and the McHale carries the load so much better than the Wild Things. Go to www.mchalepacks.com for what McHale offers.