PDA

View Full Version : Simmering w/ alcohol stove or tealight

ryanwheeler007
03-24-2009, 14:54
Ok so I just got back from the store and found these great soups that don't require anything but water. But it does require that I simmer. Would a tealight candle work? Could I cover most of the jets with tinfoil? I have a beer can stove (not penny style)... I'm sure the tealights will work, but I'm worried about keeping them from getting bloown out. I'll def use my windscreen...

Pootz
03-24-2009, 14:59
Ok so I just got back from the store and found these great soups that don't require anything but water. But it does require that I simmer. Would a tealight candle work? Could I cover most of the jets with tinfoil? I have a beer can stove (not penny style)... I'm sure the tealights will work, but I'm worried about keeping them from getting bloown out. I'll def use my windscreen...

I just use my pot grabber and hold my pot above the stove to simmer with an alcohol stove. Works fine pot and one hand a stir with the other.

sarbar
03-24-2009, 15:34
On soup mixes that call for 10 to 20 minutes simmer time? Don't worry!

Add the dry mix to the cool water in your pot, let sit for a good 10 minutes, bring to a boil then...and simmer till your fuel goes out. All you need is the soaking time. The bringing to a boil will cook the veggies and thicken the soup. Heck, you can bring it to a boil then pop your pot in a pot cozy for a good 15 minutes and eat it.

You needn't worry about long simmering! :)

jlb2012
03-24-2009, 16:31
I take it a bit differently - put the soup in a freezer bag, add boiling water, stir real well, and stick into a cozy for 20 minutes or so

Skidsteer
03-24-2009, 19:39

The tealight won't blow out if you use your windscreen.

What brand of soup?

BigFoot2002
03-24-2009, 20:09
The Etowah alcohol stove will do the job. A great stove for the boil/simmer.

My guess on your brand of soup - Bear Creek

hoz
03-24-2009, 20:22
I've simmered with a beer can stove by making a "simmer ring" out of the bottom of another can. Just let half the jets burn and cover the others.

Another stove maker on YT advocates using 1oz fuel and diluting the alky with a tbs of water after boil to reduce the BTUs and continue a simmer.

Tinker
03-24-2009, 22:37
Try the aluminum top from a bottle of sake for simmering. After your water's boiling, switch from your regular stove to the bottle top. It's much more durable than a tealight candle foil cup.

ryanwheeler007
03-24-2009, 22:49
Hit the nail on the head - Bear Creek - I tryed one tonight with the tealight, didn't work out so well! I'll try the half can but it's good to know I can go without if needed

ryanwheeler007
03-24-2009, 22:50
Tinker can you elaborate?

garlic08
03-25-2009, 01:20
I've simmered with a beer can stove by making a "simmer ring" out of the bottom of another can. Just let half the jets burn and cover the others.

Another stove maker on YT advocates using 1oz fuel and diluting the alky with a tbs of water after boil to reduce the BTUs and continue a simmer.

I've done both of these. If you do the add water method, you may need to do it a couple of times--the water boils off and the stove burns hot again. Also, it's not real easy to do over a hot alcohol flame, but you get the hang of it quickly enough. I found the cap from a platypus bladder was the perfect amount.

Pootz
03-25-2009, 15:51

Adding water to the alcohol works but my stove still does not do what I would consider a simmer. definitely burns less hot and longer.

Grinder
03-26-2009, 16:42
Thanks SARBAR for the presoak pointer.

I got my dried vegetable sampler from harmony house foods last week.

I concocted a beef stew with homemade, unseasoned jerkey, some of each stewlike vegetable (peas, carrots, onion, maybe a few others) a half packet of beef gravy and a cup of dried potatoes from a scalloped potato mix.

I was worried that the large size potatoes and the jerkey would need to simmer. I heated to boil on the stove after a 10/15 minute soak.

They didn't. But the peas were still chewey. On the trail, I'll start things presoaking at lunch.

Tom

Blissful
03-27-2009, 14:56
A disadvantage with alcohol. And for some reason, ramen tasted funny for me with the alcohol stove. Maybe the fumes.

Still like my gool 'ol pocket rocket.

Blissful
03-27-2009, 15:00
I concocted a beef stew with homemade, unseasoned jerkey, some of each stewlike vegetable (peas, carrots, onion, maybe a few others) a half packet of beef gravy and a cup of dried potatoes from a scalloped potato mix.

I was worried that the large size potatoes and the jerkey would need to simmer. I heated to boil on the stove after a 10/15 minute soak.

They didn't. But the peas were still chewey. On the trail, I'll start things presoaking at lunch.

Tom

We dried frozen peas and didn't seem to have too much of a problem rehydrating after modest soaking and 15 minute cooking in a stew.
I don't like the sweet taste of jerky in my stew either. Drying beef after being cooked in broth and put in a blender and dried worked fine for me.

plowhorse379
04-01-2009, 13:04
Thanks SARBAR for the presoak pointer.

I got my dried vegetable sampler from harmony house foods last week.

Tom
what was the serving size on this? It sounds really good.:-?