PDA

View Full Version : Hiking the AT in an RV

John B
03-24-2009, 15:05
... or Exploring the AT in an RV. Anyway, Amazon.com kindly sent me a notice that this book was now available:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1441425799/ref=pe_5050_11623110_snp_dp

Whatever floats your boat.

kolokolo
03-24-2009, 19:36
Now that's slackpacking!

Gray Blazer
03-24-2009, 20:06
I've met at least one guy who did that. I met him on winespring and he had been dropped off at Tellico and that night I saw his RV parked overnite at Winding Stair.

I heard about people using RVees and scooters to kinds leapfrog the trail.

I may write a book about from starting from each road crossing and doubling back. By the time I finish the whole thing I will have walked 2 or 4 times in different sections.

jamarshall
03-25-2009, 19:50
I get to slackpack some of the time. We have a truck camper that serves as base camp, but has also been known to unexpectedly show up at road crossings for a snack break or lunch. My husband doesn't hike, but has come to enjoy our trips every spring. So it's a mix of backpacking and slackpacking for me...I like it all.

RM&GH
03-29-2009, 21:46
Exploring the AT by RV, Sort Of.... was written by my Mom. Interestingly - the "whatever float your boat" comment is somewhat on track... before my folks wandered the country in an RV, they lived on a boat on the Mississippi (for about 12 years, with no base house).:o

This is a story about my folks providing us with trail support when we thru-hiked in 2006. The book is written about their adventure in providing support to us - talks about campgrounds they stayed at (we never stayed in the RV), trail crossings (where they met us to resupply or slack), and scary roads they drove on to reach the trail. It includes a lot of photos and maps of campgrounds and trail crossings - which we have used when day hiking since then. They drove from Amicalola Falls State Park to Baxter State Park - and all points in between and put on way more miles than we did. They often provided trail magic to other 2006 thru-hikers, even in the 100 mile wilderness (where I think they had a better campsite than we did!) It was definitely a unique way for us to "hike our own hike" and my mom ventured out at nearly every road crossing where they met us to take photos and explore the trail.

BTW No leapfrogging or skipping sections for us.... We did slack pack through Shanandoah and CT and a few other selected short sections. Resupplying from the trunk of their car instead of hitching into town saved us a lot of time. You can check our story out on trailjournals as windtalkerandmom for AT 2006. Our book is also out - "Solemates, Lessons on Life, Love, and Marriage from the Appalachian Trail" - also on Amazon. It's written from the perspective of us and other thru-hiking couples, mostly from 2006.

"Mom" (of "Windtalker" and "Mom")

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2009, 22:35
I have no problem with it, older folk want to hike and don't have the energy anymore. Section and off road parking is the way.

Sounds like a good idea for some - just welcome it.

Tin Man
03-30-2009, 00:41
Exploring the AT by RV, Sort Of.... was written by my Mom. Interestingly - the "whatever float your boat" comment is somewhat on track... before my folks wandered the country in an RV, they lived on a boat on the Mississippi (for about 12 years, with no base house).:o

In 1986, I ran into a retired couple on the AT in VT doing major sections from their RV. They only camped out when there was too many miles between road crossings.

jrwiesz
03-30-2009, 01:41
Thanks for the info. Both books look interesting, will check them out.

Pokey2006
03-30-2009, 02:24
That's pretty cool. Why shouldn't the folks get to have an adventure, too?

Mom, even if you did stay in the RV -- so what? You still would have hiked the trail. It's called a sag wagon, folks, and touring bicyclists have been using them forever, without the stigma. I say, good for you guys, and good for your mom, having actually written a book about it.

zoidfu
03-30-2009, 02:44
What would Cactus Ed say?

jrwiesz
03-30-2009, 05:36
That's pretty cool. Why shouldn't the folks get to have an adventure, too?

Mom, even if you did stay in the RV -- so what? You still would have hiked the trail. It's called a sag wagon, folks, and touring bicyclists have been using them forever, without the stigma. I say, good for you guys, and good for your mom, having actually written a book about it.

Hey, I resemble that "folks".:eek:

My wife doesn't hike, but to incorporate her "into the trail", we may try our RV, with her, and my fellow hikers wife, to set the pace ahead of us. We both hike the trail, the wives "shop til you drop"; that'll ensure we do the miles, to stop the shop. Zero days will be in the RV, hit some local links, watering holes, museums, whatever. I'm even thinking of hauling a trailer with a freezer for food stuffs for the entire trip.
It definately won't be that, "on a shoe string" budget type journey; but, I like to bolster the economy where I can. I think both wives will definately want summit both terminuses with us, and I think that would be just great.

A work in progress. And these works may be of some assistance.:sun

Doc
03-30-2009, 09:04
Some of my best hikes have been based out of our RV. My wife isn't a hiker but has a hobby that requires many hours of patient attention, a perfect fit for our trips. She drops me off at point A and meets me at point B later that day or two days later. I walk into the RV, get a hot shower and cold beer, slip into cotton clothes, eat real food and spend the night with my wife. We usually stay at a campground that night and go to point B the next day as I head off to point C. While I'm off hiking she tends to her hobby and we are both very happy. I wouldn't want to hike like this all of the time, but these trips provide both of us with great times and the opportunity to be sort of together. This way I also get to give her a daily update on my experiences rather than coming home after a month and trying to relate everything that has happened.

Rockhound
03-30-2009, 09:27
Not the way I would choose to hike, but to each their own. Hike your own hike as they say. Or I guess drive your own hike would be more appropriate.;)

max patch
03-30-2009, 09:55
Does the book list every road crossing that RV met the hikers?

For some, that would be worth the cost of the book alone.

WD used to have his list of meeting places online, but I think its been taken down.

RM&GH
04-01-2009, 17:05
"Exploring the Appalachian Trail by RV, Sort of..." includes information on virtually every road crossing where we met our parents (Trail Angels), including some of the hard-to-find ones. There is also detailed information and reviews on every campground they stayed in (with website addresses) as well as other services. There is also a CD-ROM version of this book available that has active links to the campgrounds and all the maps, which show the rendevous points, are printable. Unfortunately, this CD-ROM is not available on Amazon - you will have to go to www.qualtechresourcegroup.com (http://www.qualtechresourcegroup.com) and go to the "Prices & Ordering" page.