PDA

View Full Version : Powdered lactose-free milk?

Junglee
03-24-2009, 15:06
Hi All,

I'm looking for powdered lactose-free milk that I can take camping.

I realize there are powdered nondairy alternatives, like soy milk, but I am looking for lactose-free dairy milk.

Please let me know if you are aware of any sources. I can't find any!

Thanks!

sarbar
03-24-2009, 15:31
I have never seen one in all my searches....but you never know!

On the soy milk, the powder by Better Than Milk is actually quit good - and they make a rice version as well. Both in vanilla and plain. My son grew up on the stuff and outside of making instant pudding (which already contains cow milk) you can use it in nearly anything.

Cabin Fever
03-24-2009, 15:37
Please PM me when you find it. My wife has a dairy allergy and this info would be great to know.

take-a-knee
03-24-2009, 17:19
Please PM me when you find it. My wife has a dairy allergy and this info would be great to know.

Lactose intolerance is not an allergy, it means that you are no longer producing the enzymes to digest lactose. An allergic reaction and getting the trots are quite different.

budforester
03-24-2009, 18:41
I Googled, but did not find a powdered form of lactose- reduced milk. The enzyme drops, "Lactaid", used to be in every store that sold baby supplies. You would just mix it into the glass or baby- bottle; drink it down and Lactaid digested the lactose for those lacking the enzyme. According to this site (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper/drops.htm) there are some other sources for the lactase- enzyme drops: maybe just stash a bottle in the grub- bag; it would work with milk powders or other dairy products... better get the large size for the half- gallon challenge.

Gaiter
03-24-2009, 18:54
you can find goat's milk in a powdered form

superman
03-24-2009, 19:52
I'm mostly lactose intolerant like most people with the problem. That means that you can deal with a small amount of dairy. I was able to get by with a weaker mix of instant nonfat dry milk on the trail. Most of the things that called for milk I used water. I guess mostly I used a small amount of weak milk when I carried cereal. I'm used to my trail food tasting like crap so it wasn't a problem for me.

Alligator
03-24-2009, 19:58
Here's (http://www.valio.fi/portal/page/portal/valiocom/Company_information/Products_International_Sales/zero_lactose26092007162852/zero_lactose_ingredients_for_the_food_industry2609 2007165633/valio_zero_lactose___lactose_free_milk_powder26092 007165946) a company that makes it, but I didn't look to see how to get it.