PDA

View Full Version : Ive got something to say

undergroundnathan
03-24-2009, 15:19
I dont hate any body for saying whats on there mind,but like some of them say you dont know me.Ive been on the AT five times.Over a thousandnd hikers have met me and they all know im on disabilty,and they liked me very much.I didnt have any problems with any one bad mothing me. Im paranoid scesophrenic,And I have nervedamage that makes me talk funny and move funny with my mouth and hands.Your talking about me working,I work when I can find it,I cant work full time,Im on medicaid,My meds and doctor visits cost over twenty thousand dollars a year. I get social security disability,you have to work for that and pay taxes,got to put so many quarters to get it like regular social security. I love hikers more then any other kind of person,were all family. If you want to see me look up my posts and find my video from my local paper. Im not scared of giving out my address .If any one as any thing to say,mail me. 400 copeland ave #9 LA CROSSE WI 54603. Thank you for reading this .sincerly with love to all of you. have a great hike.

Manwich
03-24-2009, 15:22
Couldn't you confine this to the thread in question? Thank you for explaining your situation, I've seen it before in other threads, but I'm sure a lot of people perceive someone whose "neck hurts so they can't work" is going for a free hike.

In any event, enjoy your hike.

Frosty
03-24-2009, 15:29
I dont hate any body for saying whats on there mind,but like some of them say you dont know me.Ive been on the AT five times.Over a thousandnd hikers have met me and they all know im on disabilty,and they liked me very much.I didnt have any problems with any one bad mothing me. Im paranoid scesophrenic,And I have nervedamage that makes me talk funny and move funny with my mouth and hands.Your talking about me working,I work when I can find it,I cant work full time,Im on medicaid,My meds and doctor visits cost over twenty thousand dollars a year. I get social security disability,you have to work for that and pay taxes,got to put so many quarters to get it like regular social security. I love hikers more then any other kind of person,were all family. If you want to see me look up my posts and find my video from my local paper. Im not scared of giving out my address .If any one as any thing to say,mail me. 400 copeland ave #9 LA CROSSE WI 54603. Thank you for reading this .sincerly with love to all of you. have a great hike.I'm not sure what prompted this, and to be honest I'm too lazy and not interested enough to go back and search through old threads to find out.

But I do remember you talking last year (I think?) about writing a book, and I hope you follow through with that. I enjoy reading about people's experiences on the AT, and yours would be a unique viewpoint. Good luck hiking and writing, and if you do publish a book, be sure and let us know.

Manwich
03-24-2009, 15:32
I'm not sure what prompted this,

In this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48223) nathan announced his plans to hike using his disability money and people called him out on it.

undergroundnathan
03-24-2009, 16:08
When I gave My address,I forgot my full name. Nathan billy baney, 400 copeland ave #9 la crosse wi 54603. Hiking is the true blue love of life and for those who hike and enjoy what god created.Those who didnt have the nicest things to say to me,I dont know how much you have hiked but you shoul under stand the love for hikers even disabled hikers.I do the best I can,I love hiking more then any thing in the world,just love it baby. sincerly underground.

Summit
03-24-2009, 16:09
Here is a posted link by 'mogli' from an earlier WB thread, giving much detail about Nathan:

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/063610.html

Click on the interview video link at the end of this article to meet Nathan. Hike on Nathan . . . more power to you, man! :)Quoted from 'the other thread.' After you watch the video of Nathan, if you still feel inclined to 'trash mouth' him, well . . . I can't think of anything nice to say about you.

the goat
03-24-2009, 16:16
rock on nathan.

enjoy your hike!!!

Cannibal
03-24-2009, 16:25
rock on nathan.

f c k all the naysayers & enjoy your hike!!!
Amen!

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 16:32
Couldn't you confine this to the thread in question? Thank you for explaining your situation, I've seen it before in other threads, but I'm sure a lot of people perceive someone whose "neck hurts so they can't work" is going for a free hike.

In any event, enjoy your hike.

you're awful young to be so bitter and hateful

Manwich
03-24-2009, 16:42
you're awful young to be so bitter and hateful

LW, I'm not bitter about anything, nor hateful. If I jape at things and it crosses people the wrong way, then so be it as there are a lot of bad comics.

In this instance, I wasn't even trying to joke... The "keep it to one thread" mentality I merely highlighted because people have a habit of strewing 1 subject into many other threads (as this one is now in 3.) In fact... I thanked him for having the courage to "come out" (if you will) about what he's got... I suspect a lot of people with his condition won't tell people out of shame or embarrassment. I made an explanation to nathan (and I'm sure a bunch of those who arent in the know) about why what things were said... but I don't think you can quote me on being bitter over nathan.

My apologies if I come off too crass.

I stand behind what I say, but if rewording it helps:

----
Thank you for explaining your situation, I've seen it before in other threads = When the original thread was made, I looked at his past posts and noticed he informed people of his condition

----
but I'm sure a lot of people perceive someone whose "neck hurts so they can't work" is going for a free hike. = a lot of people probably assumed he was just a freeloader instead of actually knowing his condition

mudcap
03-24-2009, 18:31
LW, I'm not bitter about anything, nor hateful. If I jape at things and it crosses people the wrong way, then so be it as there are a lot of bad comics.

In this instance, I wasn't even trying to joke... The "keep it to one thread" mentality I merely highlighted because people have a habit of strewing 1 subject into many other threads (as this one is now in 3.) In fact... I thanked him for having the courage to "come out" (if you will) about what he's got... I suspect a lot of people with his condition won't tell people out of shame or embarrassment. I made an explanation to nathan (and I'm sure a bunch of those who arent in the know) about why what things were said... but I don't think you can quote me on being bitter over nathan.

My apologies if I come off too crass.

I stand behind what I say, but if rewording it helps:

----
Thank you for explaining your situation, I've seen it before in other threads = When the original thread was made, I looked at his past posts and noticed he informed people of his condition

----

but I'm sure a lot of people perceive someone whose "neck hurts so they can't work" is going for a free hike. = a lot of people probably assumed he was just a freeloader instead of actually knowing his condition
Mad at the world? :rolleyes: Gotta love your *tough guy* facade.:confused:

Manwich
03-24-2009, 18:32
lol now you guys are just reading words that arent there ::banana::

warraghiyagey
03-24-2009, 18:58
Have a great hike nathan. . . :sun

Don H
03-24-2009, 19:27
Nathan,
Just watched your video and read the article. Hey you've hiked more of the AT than me, way to go. What can I do to help you? Maybe I could mail you a food drop somewhere along the trail? Let me know by PM where and when and I'll send you a care package. Good luck on your hike and I hope you find more of those kind hikers you mentioned along the way.

aaronthebugbuffet
03-24-2009, 19:33
rock on nathan.

f c k all the naysayers & enjoy your hike!!!

:banana

superman
03-24-2009, 19:41
Hi Nathan,

Everybody has their set of problems. Don't let a small number of them make their problems your problem. Enjoy your hike and I would like to hear about it when you've finished hiking..:)

Oklahoma 98
03-24-2009, 19:52
Underground, You are "SOMEBODY" where ever you are. May Peace go with you always.Have a great hike.

Gray Blazer
03-24-2009, 20:01
Peace out, baby.

BitBucket
03-24-2009, 20:26
I'm going to send Nathan a pack cover and a sleeping pad. He also needs a cooking pot. Anyone out there got an extra that they want to get rid of and help a fellow hiker.

No one would think twice if you met a hiker on the trail that needed something. Let's do a little pre-trail trail magic for a fellow hiker in need. Throw a few things in a box and send it to him.

I for one have had folks help me out on the trail from time to time that didn't know me from Adam's house-cat. The magic was always just there when you needed it.

medicjimr
03-24-2009, 20:34
good luck Nathan some people just jump to conclusions the others are just jerks with nothing good to say ever. good luck and god bless

Ghosthiker
03-24-2009, 20:38
Hey Nathan, Just HYOH and enjoy it.

Stellbell3
03-24-2009, 20:41
Underground.....

After reading a previous post about how much you enjoy the challenge of hiking and how it is like therapy to you, it made me smile. You get one life and you are living it the way YOU want to. Don't listen to people who send negative energy your way. Life is too short, to be negative, or to let negativity make you angry.

I will be heading north as well......starting in GA on April 16th. Maybe our paths will cross. I hope so.....It seems as though you have met a lot of people out there on the trail and have made a positive impact. You seem to TRULY love the trail.......I like your thinking!

Best wishes on a safe journey and happy, dry trails!!
Stell

mudcap
03-24-2009, 21:02
I'm going to send Nathan a pack cover and a sleeping pad. He also needs a cooking pot. Anyone out there got an extra that they want to get rid of and help a fellow hiker.

No one would think twice if you met a hiker on the trail that needed something. Let's do a little pre-trail trail magic for a fellow hiker in need. Throw a few things in a box and send it to him.

I for one have had folks help me out on the trail from time to time that didn't know me from Adam's house-cat. The magic was always just there when you needed it.

I have a cook pot,(several to pick from) Nathan PM me man. I PMed you earlier,get back to me.

mudcap
03-24-2009, 21:08
Looks like Hooch beat me to it on the other thread. What else do you need?

BitBucket
03-24-2009, 21:11
I sent him a PM, and he told me he needed a pad, a rain cover for his pack and a pot.

I had the first two (pad/rain cover) and will send them to him, but didn't have the pot. Went by Walmart and they didn't have any...looks like MudCap will send him a pot...

I asked him if he needed anything else (headlamp, water bottle, etc.). I've got a bunch of extra stuff here that I don't need but he could probably make use of.

I figure he would appreciate most anything anyone could send him (maybe even just a couple of packages of mountain house food, etc)

Maybe we could put him together a hiker box of miscellaneous stuff and fill it up before he goes on his hike..

That way he could take what he needs and then he could give what he doesn't use or need to another fellow hiker..

would suggest just sending him a PM or an email and asking what else he might need..

Thanks in advance to all that have asked what they could do to help him...

Blissful
03-24-2009, 21:18
Have a great hiker, Nathan. The trail is very therapeutic for sure. A good place to be. Be sure to let us know what happens on your journey.

mudcap
03-24-2009, 21:20
BitBucket,

It looks like Hooch beat me to it on the cookpot...on the other thread.

I have other stuff that might come in handy too...if not I will purchase something that will. I have PMed Nathan. I like the way you think.

Lugnut
03-24-2009, 23:17
Every once in a while you read something that makes you feel good about the world. Nathan himself, and the response to him did it for me. Nathan, I wish you the very best. Enjoy every day!

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 23:42
Every once in a while you read something that makes you feel good about the world. Nathan himself, and the response to him did it for me. Nathan, I wish you the very best. Enjoy every day!

Ditto.

Whiskyjo
03-24-2009, 23:53
I have a radio, found it up near Spence field if you want it. Just joking buddy. We enjoyed hiking with you a few years ago thru the Roan Highlands along with Smoke and Caveman, Just have fun and the sun will shine for ya.

ryanwheeler007
03-25-2009, 00:16
I've seen several posts about people hiking with money they got via unemployment... and many others that have been "layed off" recently and are hiking, quite possibly doing the same thing... why are people so quick to chastise someone on disability hiking when no one said **** to those other people?

Jayboflavin04
03-25-2009, 00:16
I have a sleep pad nathan. Its not luxury...but it is a pad. PM me if you want or need it bro.

mindi
03-25-2009, 00:29
Somebody please PM me if there is anything else needed that hasn't been found already.

Nathan, I really hope you enjoy your hike.

Bearpaw88
03-25-2009, 10:20
Nathan the things you have written are great. I am really glad you find hiking theraputic. Thats what it is all about.

Good luck on your hike, and thank you for having the courage to post about your problems and experiences. You are a light for others.

:sun

bpitt
03-25-2009, 10:24
Nathan, you rock dude. Ignore the A-holes.

D'Artagnan
03-25-2009, 12:52
Underground,

Have a great hike! I received a blessing today from viewing your video. Thank you.

JAK
03-25-2009, 13:08
“I think God loves the Appalachian Trail,” Baney said. “He loves the rest of the world,
too. But the Appalachian Trail is a pilgrimage in a way, and I think God loves pilgrimages.”
- Nathan Billy Baney

That was very nicely put.

Rain Man
03-25-2009, 13:41
Nathan, best wishes to you on your hike and in life. Is there some way we can send care packages to you along the way?

Rain:sunMan

hootyhoo
03-25-2009, 13:53
Watched the video. I like where he says - I'm nobody in the real world, but on the AT I am somebody. Says alot for hikers. Glad he feels like a part of something. Acceptance is a good thing.

Many Walks
03-25-2009, 14:48
Been in the woods and off WB for a while. In the other thread there was a lot of negativity, while a few of us saw Underground as another enthusiastic hiker who should be supported instead of being ripped apart. This thread has a new tone of mostly support as people learn more of his story. In reality, Underground is a person who unconditionally loves hiking and the hiking community, as it's a place where he feels he belongs as he brings his unique life's story to the trail. Now doesn't that pretty much describe all of us? Maybe we could all learn something here by trying to appreciate each other at WB in the same way Underground appreciates all of us. You rock Underground, enjoy your hike Brother!

Mother Nature
03-25-2009, 15:56
Nathan we have met several times on the trail and I have the greatest admiration for you. You obviously enjoy being outside and on the trail. Enjoy your hike.

Mother Nature and Smokestack

dmax
03-25-2009, 16:22
Nathan I hope you enjoy your hike.
Try not to let the people on this site get to you. Ignore them and don't read the bad threads. There is still some good stuff on here to read. Just filter through it.
Luckily people are alot better on the trail than they are on the internet.

BitBucket
03-25-2009, 23:00
Nathan

I'm mailing you out a Thermorest Ridgecrest pad, a large pack rain cover, the '07 Thru Hiker Guide, several Mountain House Meals & Cliff bars (hope you like the selection), and a few other things..

Thanks again to all that wanted to help Nathan on his hike. If you want to send him something directly, his address is:

Nathan Billy Baney
400 Copeland Ave #9
La Crosse, Wisconsin 54603

Hope you enjoy your hike. Let folks hear from you from time to time. Look forward to following your journey.

Pips
03-29-2009, 13:44
My first post ever and it is just for you Nathan: you rock! you are making the best of a situation that would cripple many of the nay-sayers out there. i have read a few of your threads today and i think that you couldn't put government money to better use. my father also lives on government money and is disabled AND went hiking... but people shouldn't jump to conclusions there either -- he served this country for 25 years first! the point is, some people judge quickly and you are awesome to not let that get you down!! keep hiking... it is the best therapy i have EVER found :0) and the best of the hiking community will come through to help you in any way we can.

Summit
03-29-2009, 13:55
My first post ever and it is just for you Nathan: you rock! you are making the best of a situation that would cripple many of the nay-sayers out there. i have read a few of your threads today and i think that you couldn't put government money to better use. my father also lives on government money and is disabled AND went hiking... but people shouldn't jump to conclusions there either -- he served this country for 25 years first! the point is, some people judge quickly and you are awesome to not let that get you down!! keep hiking... it is the best therapy i have EVER found :0) and the best of the hiking community will come through to help you in any way we can.Wow! One post and you've got a leg up on wisdom contributed than some here with thousands of posts (like me :D ).

:welcome to WB Pips!

modiyooch
03-29-2009, 14:19
When is Nathan starting his hike? I'm glad he gets to go. I understand the need to be back out there. Nathan, there are people, of which you have had the pleasure to meet, that place you at the top of the world; and then there are some very small minded sad people. Just excuse small mindedness for what it is, and continue to enjoy life. Focus on the good things in life; pray for the weak. You don't have to justify yourself. Be safe, ENJOY.

warraghiyagey
03-29-2009, 14:23
My first post ever and it is just for you Nathan: you rock! you are making the best of a situation that would cripple many of the nay-sayers out there. i have read a few of your threads today and i think that you couldn't put government money to better use. my father also lives on government money and is disabled AND went hiking... but people shouldn't jump to conclusions there either -- he served this country for 25 years first! the point is, some people judge quickly and you are awesome to not let that get you down!! keep hiking... it is the best therapy i have EVER found :0) and the best of the hiking community will come through to help you in any way we can.
:sun:sun:welcome

daddytwosticks
03-29-2009, 14:28
Pips...ANYBODY who serves this country for twenty five years deserves every penny of "government money" he or she can get! Welcome to Whiteblaze! :)

Photofanatic
03-29-2009, 14:39
We all live in this world and hopefully our eyes are wide open. Living is doing whatever it takes to live even if one needs a bit of help along the way or permanent help along the way...who am I to judge? I often hear complaints about tax money supporting one thing or another that someone doesn't want that money shelled out to support. I try to look upon taxes as a way of giving rather than paying. Anytime a person is giving they get back multifold. It says so in the good book. Just another way to look at things.

Photofantic

Highpointbound
04-01-2009, 19:14
As soon as I turned 16 years old, I started working. Came home one day and mom said, " I got you a job". I worked on weekends, 8 hours each day.

I put myself through college. I was working 7 days a week, a 56 hour week, before i got the job I have had now for the past 20 years.

I am single, and I have my own home. I am an only child, and I have a 85 year old mother whose care falls on me. She lives in her own house. Unfortunately, she didn't save like she should have, and as she got older, was duped into some financial things that she shouldn't have gotten herself into. So, now in addition to paying my bills, I help her pay her bills, and help her put food on the table. So, I manange two households. I drive a 1999 Hyundai, which I need to get rid of as i'm afraid it's just gonna fall apart on me one day. I need to replace my sliding screen door off my kitchen, which is broken. I need new rugs on my floor. I need new doors to my bedrooms; they are falling off. Literally.

The kitchen floor needs to be re-done, and the rooms in my house need to be painted.

And I haven't even said what needs to be repaired at my mom's house.

However, i dont have some rare disease. I am not dying, nor do i have a mental disability. I am just the average middle class person struggling. I'm no one special, and i dont have an over whelming sob story. But, i do struggle to keep things together in this world, all on my own.

I find pleasure in hiking too. Helps me "escape" for a while.

So, who is willing to send me things i need for my hike? Who is willing to help me out? I don't have a mental condition. Im just someone who struggles to keep it together, and never seems to have enough money to get all the things done that i need, though i try.

Who is willing to help me out?? Can you send me pots, pans? Actually, I dont want pots or pans. Socks, a light jacket, good shirts to hike in, compass, headlamp..those are things I could use.

See, no one will offer to send ME anything, or help ME out. I will be called bitter, and every name under the sun. I EXPECT to be flamed for this, no doubt.

Go ahead, call me bitter. I am, to a certain extent. No, God did not give me a mental disability. And yes, I do appreciate that. But it doesn't change the fact that life can suck for the rest of us just as bad at times.

But, who offers to help those like me? Quit whining, right? Oh, hey I deal with life. So be it. Im far from being a wuss. All im saying is, life can be a b#$##h for those who arent nuts too.

So...........who is willing to help me out with the stuff I asked for?? Or do i need to have a disability to qualify?

You can send me a PM. But, leave the flaming stuff on here, in the public board. I don't need to waste time opening a PM to read the typical responses Im sure I will get.

Thanks.

Pedaling Fool
04-01-2009, 19:23
As soon as I turned 16 years old, I started working. Came home one day and mom said, " I got you a job". I worked on weekends, 8 hours each day.

I put myself through college. I was working 7 days a week, a 56 hour week, before i got the job I have had now for the past 20 years.

I am single, and I have my own home. I am an only child, and I have a 85 year old mother whose care falls on me. She lives in her own house. Unfortunately, she didn't save like she should have, and as she got older, was duped into some financial things that she shouldn't have gotten herself into. So, now in addition to paying my bills, I help her pay her bills, and help her put food on the table. So, I manange two households. I drive a 1999 Hyundai, which I need to get rid of as i'm afraid it's just gonna fall apart on me one day. I need to replace my sliding screen door off my kitchen, which is broken. I need new rugs on my floor. I need new doors to my bedrooms; they are falling off. Literally.

The kitchen floor needs to be re-done, and the rooms in my house need to be painted.

However, i dont have some rare disease. I am not dying, nor do i have a mental disability. I am just the average middle class person struggling. I'm no one special, and i dont have an over whelming sob story. But, i do struggle to keep things together in this world, all on my own.

So, who is willing to send me things i need for my hike? Who is willing to help me out? I don't have a mental condition. Im just someone who struggles to keep it together, and never seems to have enough money to get all the things done that i need, though i try.

Who is willing to help me out?? Can you send me pots, pans? Actually, I dont want pots or pans. Socks, a light jacket, good shirts to hike in, compass, headlamp..those are things I could use.

See, no one will offer to send ME anything, or help ME out. I will be called bitter, and every name under the sun. I EXPECT to be flamed for this, no doubt.

Go ahead, call me bitter. I am, to a certain extent. No, God did not give me a mental disability. And yes, I do appreciate that. But it doesn't change the fact that life can suck for the rest of us just as bad at times.

But, who offers to help those like me? Quit whining, right? Oh, hey I deal with life. So be it. Im far from being a wuss. All im saying is, life can be a b#$##h for those who arent nuts too.

So...........who is willing to help me out with the stuff I asked for?? Or do i need to have a disability to qualify?

You can send me a PM. But, leave the flaming stuff on here, in the public board. I don't need to waste time opening a PM to read the typical responses Im sure I will get.

Thanks.
You're too fixated on your problems, and you do have many; take up meditation and you'll feel much better.

mudcap
04-01-2009, 20:04

Thanks.

Sad post,not sure what the issue is with your rant. I can tell you are MORE well off than I...but I am willing to help if you feel you need something.

picklejar
04-01-2009, 20:48

Thanks.

I think the difference is this, and I am not trying to flame you:Your situation is a result of choices you have made in your life. Nathan did not get to make a choice.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2009, 20:55
dial whine 1 1 for the whaaambulance

BitBucket
04-01-2009, 20:57
Anyone heard from Nathan lately? I sent him a box of stuff but UPS is having trouble delivering it.

Haven't seen/heard from him in a week or so...

mudcap
04-01-2009, 21:13
Well said LW,that was classic!:D
dial whine 1 1 for the whaaambulance

mudcap
04-01-2009, 21:16
Anyone heard from Nathan lately? I sent him a box of stuff but UPS is having trouble delivering it.

Same thing here,NO word since my initial correspondence(spelling?) via e-mail. I hope everything is OK.

medicjimr
04-01-2009, 21:25
Just Like picklejar said Nathan was born this way and will always be this way. Yes highpointbound you are in an unfortunate time in your life as well as others including myself. but the great thing for us it will get better we can work pay off those bill manage our finances wisely, But in retrospective Nathan won't change yes medication can help make him able to live a some what normal life in society. But nowhere near as normal as we all live ours. so don't be an ignorant fool wanting something given to you that you already have Normalcy.

medicjimr
04-01-2009, 21:27
He emailed me the other day thanking me ,not for sending him anything just for the kind words and hoping I was Ok and wishing I was there and others to hike with him

warraghiyagey
04-01-2009, 21:31
Well. . . it's decent that you stood up for the dude, however misguidedly backhanded your attempt was. . .

TOW
04-01-2009, 21:45

Thanks.
Shoot I think I have it pretty rough too pal, but you know what will make you feel better and it will take practice? Just give without thinking you have it rough and quit wondering when your ship will roll in. It probably already has a few times. Be thankful that you are able to do this for your mother, be thankful that you are just able too. Don't be envious of others and what they are or are not getting. Just tend to your own back yard and you will start to view life as it is.

When I read your post I thought to myself "But for the grace of God there go I."

medicjimr
04-01-2009, 21:56
Well. . . it's decent that you stood up for the dude, however misguidedly backhanded your attempt was. . .

If your referring to me your just as ignorant in making a judgment of my character without knowing me. what I do defines me. But if not directed toward's me my apologies

DaSchwartz
04-01-2009, 22:04
undergroundnathan,

I too am on social security disability for nearly the same reasons that you are. And I admire your bravery for openly admitting this. Hiking is great and my doctor's tell me any activity like that is the best therapy I can do, more than drugs can possibly do. I worked for a long time myself so I don't feel bad about being on social security.

I personally avoid the subject as much as possible on the trail. Maybe one day, I can be as brave as you about being open. Hopefully one day the public will understand that mental disabilities are the same as physical disabilities. I understand the stigma that some people will label like "you can do this, you can work".... or "welfare taker"... it bothers me also.

Thanks for posting this Nathan, I wish you all the best, and you DESERVE to be hiking or doing what you want. You've earned it.

mindi
04-01-2009, 22:14

I got an email from him a few days ago..

Reid
04-01-2009, 22:22
Well nate, some people get their gratitude from other peoples failures. Not saying youve failed, just saying that people will pick over someone until they've found a way to push them down. Keep your head up!

Pips
04-02-2009, 02:42
Highpointbound,

The sad part of your rant is that a large number of individuals in this hiking community WOULD help you any way they could.

Do you see some injustice in doing good? in helping out a fellow hiker? Is it simply injustice because it is not you? Is your story sadder than mine? Or Nathan's? Does it matter? Maybe the people on these boards saw something more than just a hiker in need. MAYBE the people on these boards that offered to help saw a hiker that appreciated the beauty of the trail and what is has to offer -- what it does good for the soul. Maybe they did not see someone bemoaning their lot in life -- simply someone trying to find the best of it. I hope you find the best in yours. Can I offer you a pot?

medicjimr
04-03-2009, 06:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by warraghiyagey http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=814094#post814094)

If your referring to me your just as ignorant in making a judgment of my character without knowing me. what I do defines me. But if not directed toward's me my apologies

Well he was refering to me by the pm I got up so heads up he is a real a**whole

kanga
04-03-2009, 06:59
actually he's not. but i'm sorry y'all don't see eye to eye.

camojack
04-03-2009, 07:33
actually he's not. but i'm sorry y'all don't see eye to eye.
Ummm...he has his moments. As do we all... ;)

medicjimr
04-03-2009, 07:46
well I should have saved the PM sent to him and the return I got maybe you would understand. Now I may not be highly educated to know big words as he does and if there is another meaning to the word normal I used in a earlier post please let me know. I am not trying to troll here I just don't appreciate people degrading handicap people.

maxNcathy
04-03-2009, 10:07
What is not love is a call for love.
Spirit...Love..... is All in all.....the AT can give ...us time..... to go within...deeper than the deepest guilt......deeper still than fears....above the bloody battlefield.....the sickly insane ego world with its endless conflict and drama of specialness.

Long live the magic of the trail.
Be heel'd and freeeee at last.

Happy trails to You, Nathan and fellow hikers.

Many Walks
04-03-2009, 17:00
Highpointbound, I am sad that you feel so bad about your situation. It sounds difficult and full of challenges. On the other hand, everyone has challenges, just different kinds. I learned a long time ago to try and make the most of each day as I sincerely thought I would not make it past 21 and several times it was pretty close to coming true. Since then each day is a gift, just ask the folks on this site who have had heart attacks, lost loved ones or had other tragedies in their life...they get it! Whether it's a great day or not, I still try to appreciate my situation and to not compare it to those of others. My attitude is what determines how good the day is and if something does go wrong, I take the responsibility and not point to others for my hardship. On my 2007 thru I took the name of “Oorah” and dedicated my hike to the brave men who gave their lives fighting for this country and now can never even think about hiking the trail. None of us have it that bad. I since took the name of “Many Walks”, not to try to demonstrate my hiking prowess (couldn't care less about impressing anyone), but it reminds me of the many twists and turns my life has taken to this point. I'm sure there are several sites to complain about life's difficulties, but this site is a place where we can share the love of the trail, this community, and information to help others hike it. That is what Nathan has plugged into and he had some needs we were mostly all willing to help with. It doesn't matter to most here what the situation is, if anyone is seriously trying to hike the trail and has challenges getting things together to be able to do it, I think most people would gladly help. I now live a pretty simple life in the mountains, but I'll offer you the same as I did Nathan. If you're attempting a thru and need something special, PM me and I'll be glad to help if I can. I truly hope in time you can learn to appreciate what you have. It sounds like there are many things positive in your life, you still have your Mom, you own property, sounds like you have a job and your health. Lot's of people would appreciate just having one of these gifts. Please don't begrudge Nathan for getting a helping hand, just because you may be more fortunate than most....but just don't realize it.

Lugnut
04-03-2009, 17:03
Great post! :sun

Highpointbound
04-04-2009, 16:10
I must agree that was a good post Many Walks. And thanks for your offer of help, though I must admit I was being sarcastic, as I certainly didnt expect or think anyone would actually take me up on that.
But thank you just the same. And i'm being sincere.

I have never asked for a thing in my life, and I absolutely dont point to others for ANY hardships i have had. Quite the opposite. VERY VERY much the opposite, believe me. That was my point, really. The people that bust their a-- working and taking care of their own business never get offered a damn thing. Unless you can point to some "issue" you have and get something for it. Not that we should get offered anything, that's not the point.

I understand that Nathan cannot help help having the condition that he has. I get that. I guess I was mostly blowing off steam because i live in one of the most liberal states. Come to Massachusetts and get your welfare. You dont want to work? No problem.

I have a friend that is a supervisor in our city's Social Security Dept. You should see all the people, YOUNG people, that come in claiming they can't work because they are depressed, or some other bulls*it reason. And they end up getting benefits. Unreal. I mean, seriously, to watch some twenty-four yr old talk about the SSI check he gets because he has depression is just priceless. So, i guess hearing Nathan talk about taking his money and going hiking just set me off. Though I understand that he probably DOES have a legitimate problem.

Thanks for your well thought out post Many Walks. I suppose I got all the steam out, now, eh. lol

Feral Bill
04-04-2009, 18:06
I have a friend that is a supervisor in our city's Social Security Dept. You should see all the people, YOUNG people, that come in claiming they can't work because they are depressed, or some other bulls*it reason. And they end up getting benefits. Unreal. I mean, seriously, to watch some twenty-four yr old talk about the SSI check he gets because he has depression is just priceless. So, i guess hearing Nathan talk about taking his money and going hiking just set me off. Though I understand that he probably DOES have a legitimate problem.

You obviously have no experience with depression. I hope you never do.

Jester2000
04-04-2009, 18:28

Self-fulfilling prophesy kind of thing, you know?

I must agree that was a good post Many Walks. And thanks for your offer of help, though I must admit I was being sarcastic, as I certainly didnt expect or think anyone would actually take me up on that.
But thank you just the same. And i'm being sincere.

The sarcasm was evident, and, as sarcasm usually is, ugly. The root of the word means "to rend, or tear apart." I don't know your history in the hiking community, but I've found that sincere requests for help ARE often responded to. I've seen people have their packs stolen and been completely reoutfitted by the next day for free. I've been injured in a strange town and been taken in by complete strangers. I've known a homeless man on the trail who started out in sneakers with his possessions in a 5 gallon paint bucket who was gradually geared up by hikers and hostel owners. I hope that you some day benefit from this kind of thing. It's pretty magical.

Though I understand that he probably DOES have a legitimate problem.

. . .on the other hand, if you set yourself up as the arbiter of who deserves help and who doesn't, and "blow off steam" in the direction of people who have nothing to do with your issues, well, you'll probably be right about no one wanting to help you.

Personally, I try to worry as little as possible about what other people are getting and whether it's fair. And I wish both Nathan and you the best.

Many Walks
04-04-2009, 21:15
Highpointbound, thanks for your kind words and I do hope you feel better. Sometimes a brisk walk to the top of the mountain beats venting on WB...works for me anyway. Seriously, I see the same thing in CA, but since I just don't know what path brought the folks to the position they're in, I simply can't pass judgment. I have enough trouble keeping track of my own business. I hope you can take away one thing from all this. It's not what comes into our life that leaves a lasting impression...it's how we respond to it. If we choose to respond with bitterness, that seems to be what we get moving forward and it can easily get worse over time. I hope you choose the positive path that will enrich your life and lead to happiness. Also, don't underestimate the WB community. It can get rowdy at times, but everyone is eager to help another hiker when they can. I hope to meet you on the trail someday and wish you the best!

uprocks
04-04-2009, 23:15
So how exactly is it that you can hike the AT but not hold a job?

My understanding is that many people can successfully hold a job and yet fail miserably in their attempts to hike on the AT.

The part about your church and others willingly donating to your cause is what is right in this world.

The part about my government offering you the financial freedom to pursue your dream with money skimmed from my paycheck? Not so much.

ed bell
04-04-2009, 23:31
So how exactly is it that you can hike the AT but not hold a job?

My understanding is that many people can successfully hold a job and yet fail miserably in their attempts to hike on the AT.

The part about your church and others willingly donating to your cause is what is right in this world.

The part about my government offering you the financial freedom to pursue your dream with money skimmed from my paycheck? Not so much. You aren't required to understand or validate disabilities. Our government provides assistance and support to disabled folks.

uprocks
04-04-2009, 23:36
You aren't required to understand or validate disabilities. Our government provides assistance and support to disabled folks.
Maybe you are willing to check your brain at the door when it comes to your $$...

uprocks
04-04-2009, 23:38
You aren't required to understand or validate disabilities. Our government provides assistance and support to disabled folks.
Honestly, I cannot believe you really posted that.

I am not "required to understand" why my $$ is used to support someone else?

What?

TD55
04-05-2009, 03:03

What?

No, you are not "required to understand". We live in a democracy. Over a half a century ago our country created a hybred insurance system for the purpose of taking care of our citizens who have various problems with supporting themselves. Social Security is not just a retirement program, it is also an insurance program. There have been attempts over the years to change it and even do away with it. Those attempts have consistantly failed because the people of this country have consistantly kept it in place. That is how a democracy is supposed to work. The contract between an individual and the government in regards to collecting benifits is not really your business. If you don't like the system you have ways, and the right to try and change it. Unless you are a Judge that determines these things, once again, no, it's none of your business.

kanga
04-05-2009, 10:16
No, you are not "required to understand". We live in a democracy. Over a half a century ago our country created a hybred insurance system for the purpose of taking care of our citizens who have various problems with supporting themselves. Social Security is not just a retirement program, it is also an insurance program. There have been attempts over the years to change it and even do away with it. Those attempts have consistantly failed because the people of this country have consistantly kept it in place. That is how a democracy is supposed to work. The contract between an individual and the government in regards to collecting benifits is not really your business. If you don't like the system you have ways, and the right to try and change it. Unless you are a Judge that determines these things, once again, no, it's none of your business.
you may not like, or agree with, his posts, but it most certainly IS his business. that's part of that whole democracy thing too you know. he has a right to not like where his money is going. and he has a right to do something about it through our democratic government.

Rockhound
04-05-2009, 11:23
I think that sometimes people spend far too much time getting angry about everything that is wrong with everything and judging all those around them and not nearly enough time spent on their own happiness and enjoying life. Have a great hike Nathan. I hope your positive attitude rubs off on some of the critics and finger pointers.

ed bell
04-05-2009, 11:27
Maybe you are willing to check your brain at the door when it comes to your $$...

What?No, my brain is working just fine. If you don't think that some people who suffer from mental illness could use some assistance, then that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. My comment was in reference to the fact that in Nathan's case, you don't know the facts and you can't get them. So in his case you are not required to understand or validate his disability. You are acting like this guy is on some sort of gravy train, living the high life while milking the system. Disability payments are meager and they don't exactly provide enough to live much above the poverty line. Somebody made a good point about this earlier, just because the guy suffers from a mental disability doesn't mean he has to sit around in his apartment all day. He has the right to go out and do what he can despite his mental problems.

uprocks
04-05-2009, 21:01
No, my brain is working just fine...
Your post is full of responses to straw men you have artfully constructed to portray your guess at the reasoning behind my conclusions.

You aren't required to understand...
But this statement really goes beyond the lack of reasoning you display above. If you cannot see that, then I am truly sorry for you. Worth noting here is any reasoned individual will hold their conclusions loosely and available for modification ("free from his own ideas", to steal a phrase), but only from legitimate scrutiny, which you have shown none of.

I am not choosing to go to war on this topic. I have stated my conclusions and will concede we have a right to disagree...and even beyond that it should be expected for our ("democratic") government to make choices individuals disagree with because those choices are "group choices".

Not a problem.

But from what I have read on this topic (several threads + a video), as of this moment, my conclusion stands.

Nathan. None of my discussion here is "about" you. You are a wonderful person...plenty of evidence (testimony of your peers) to support that. I wish you the best in life...and if my government chooses to use my $$ to make your hike financially viable, then I hope your hike is among the most fulfilling experiences of your lifetime. Hoping for anything less would be bitter and wrong.