PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking the Long Trail

Tom Murphy
03-24-2009, 16:53
Hi,

My 13 yr old son and I are planning to section hike the LT.

I am planning it in a series of mostly 3-4 day hikes; with sections 8 & 9 probably being five day trips. I realize these are very low mileage days but we enjoy camping as much as we enjoy hiking and we are not going to be using the shelters unless they appear at the right time.

Fortunately, my Dad is retired and is willing to drop us off and pick us up.

So I have tried to divide up the sections based on easy access to roads rather than a certain number of miles each trip.

I would apprepriate your comments.

Thank you.

1. North Adams, MA to VT. Rt. 9
Days: x
Distance: 14 miles [ + 4.4 miles on AT Mass]

2. Rt 9 to Stratton-Arlington Road
Distance: 23 miles

3. Stratton-Arlington Road to Rt 11
Distance: 18 miles

4. Rt 11 to Rt 140
Distance: 26 miles

5. Rt 140 to US 4
Distance: 24 miles

6. US 4 to Middlebury Gap
Distance: 30 miles

7. Middlebury Gap to Hunington Gap
Distance: 32 miles

8. Hunington Gap to VT 108
Distance: 38 miles

9. VT 108 to VT 118
Distance: 35 miles

10. VT 118 to Journeys End
Distance: 30 miles

Peaks
03-24-2009, 17:15
The Long Trail Guide lists hiking times from shelter to shelter, based on book time. I found that to be a good starting point for planning my trips.

Quoddy
03-24-2009, 17:57
I started a detailed listing of what I thought would be good distances and locations to stop, considering the terrain, for almost half of your hike. I then decided that there's just too much variability from hiker to hiker to give this much detail. You may want to push, or you may want to casually hike and take in scenery and views not far from the trail.

As was just stated, the Long Trail Guide list times between shelters, but for many sections I found that to be really pushing. You might add about 25% to those times and have a more relaxing hike.

I would recommend that you not plan to stay at Governor Clement (possibly use the "Secret Shelter" 1.5 miles south of there). Another is Cooper Lodge which you may or may not want to stay in due to it's condition, but camping in that area is fine. For me, at least, all the rest are more than OK.

Have a great hike.

Cookerhiker
03-24-2009, 18:16
The only thing I want to point out is that in starting each hike at a road crossing, you're usually beginning with a long steep uphill everytime you go. But I'm sure you'll enjoy your hike; it's smart to allow 3-4 days for each hike. I hope you and your son have a great time.

mark schofield
03-24-2009, 18:40
Like Quoddy said, Cooper Lodge is kind of trashed. But Pico Camp, about an hour easy walk north, is old but in good shape (at least last fall). And a quick walk downhill to Rt. 4 and the in at the long trail. Enjoy

Cookerhiker
03-24-2009, 18:47
Like Quoddy said, Cooper Lodge is kind of trashed. But Pico Camp, about an hour easy walk north, is old but in good shape (at least last fall). And a quick walk downhill to Rt. 4 and the in at the long trail. Enjoy

That is if you hike the sensible way by taking the blue-blazed Sherburne Pass Trail which goes to Pico and the LT Inn - the original AT/LT route. But if you follow the current White Blazes, you skip both and cross Rt. 4 west of the pass.

oruoja
03-24-2009, 20:56
Sounds like a good plan. Just take note that Huntington Gap is in the middle of the woods where a snowmobile crosses the LT. You probably meant Appalachian Gap at Vt Rte 17 which is about 3.5 miles south of there.

earlylight
05-06-2009, 22:15
Tom,

There are two tent platforms on the top of Killington that you can also pitch a tent on just behind Cooper, which can get very cold due to wind. Just bring some screw eyes along to peg down your guy lines.