PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wildflower hikes

Pokey2006
03-24-2009, 18:12
This being my first spring living down south, I'm super-excited about the wildflower hiking season! Spring hiking just isn't the same up north. What are some of the best hikes around here to see the flowers? I want to collect a list of must-sees.

I'm looking for mostly day hikes or one-nighters, since I don't have time right now for long trips.

Anything within 2-3 hours of Chattanooga works, so within the area of Knoxville-Nashville-Atlanta. I don't mind heading over to the Franklin/NOC area; I know there's a lot of great hiking there.

Thanks guys!

Cannibal
03-24-2009, 18:15
The blue blazed trails in SMNP are beautiful! You could probably hike in that park for 10 years and never step on the same plot of dirt twice.

johnnybgood
03-24-2009, 19:26
Max Patch , near Newport Tennessee

Go in late May early June

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2009, 19:51
I don't really look too much at flowers, but there was this one time somewhere down south, -- I don't remember if it was north or south of GSMNP, pretty sure it wasn't in GSMNP (April timeframe) when I remember seeing nothing but white flowers that flanked the trail on both sides for as far as I could see. It almost looked like snow on the ground, I can't believe I didn't get a picture, like I said I'm not a flower guy.

The only pic of flowers I got (and it's not that good) was this bush in Fontana (first week of April)

bloodmountainman
03-24-2009, 19:53
Kimsey Creek Trail out of Standing Indian campground. Dutchmans Breechs and Jack-in the-Pulpits bloom out around Mothers day.

Pokey2006
03-24-2009, 19:56
Kimsey Creek Trail out of Standing Indian campground. Dutchmans Breechs and Jack-in the-Pulpits bloom out around Mothers day.

Kimsey Creek is near the top of my "to-do" list. Thanks for including names of flowers and dates, BTW. I'm totally clueless about anything beyond Trillium and Rhodedendron!

sticks&stones
03-24-2009, 19:58
bartram trail

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 19:58
mid april. wesser creek trail

bloodmountainman
03-24-2009, 20:02
I forgot one of my favorites.....the yellow lady's-slipper.....rare to find in bloom.

Cookerhiker
03-24-2009, 20:33
Beauty Spot and Unaka out of Erwin - outstanding wildflowers. Here's an excerpt (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=89330) from my May '05 hike. Also Big Bald has lots of flowers.

From the same hike, here's some dwarf larkspur (http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=89414) found on the "Tennessee Highway" north of Rt. 321.

emerald
03-24-2009, 20:57
One of the best ways to learn plants is to participate in guided hikes. There are often hikes on or near Mother's Day at local sanctuaries. It's likely you will see and learn more species in an afternoon on such a hike than through years of exploring on your own.

the goat
03-24-2009, 21:19
This being my first spring living down south, I'm super-excited about the wildflower hiking season! Spring hiking just isn't the same up north. What are some of the best hikes around here to see the flowers? I want to collect a list of must-sees.

I'm looking for mostly day hikes or one-nighters, since I don't have time right now for long trips.

Anything within 2-3 hours of Chattanooga works, so within the area of Knoxville-Nashville-Atlanta. I don't mind heading over to the Franklin/NOC area; I know there's a lot of great hiking there.

Thanks guys!

i'd shoot a PM to MOWGLI in the case that he doesn't see this, he's liable to have many good suggestions!

Pokey2006
03-24-2009, 21:26
i'd shoot a PM to MOWGLI in the case that he doesn't see this, he's liable to have many good suggestions!

Oh, I plan to pick his brain, about this and a trip to AZ I'm planning...just as soon as he gets back from his trip to AZ! He's not back for another couple of weeks, and I'm just impatient like that.