PDA

View Full Version : Curly toe problem

mateozzz
03-24-2009, 20:14
I had a problem on my last hike where my second toe on one foot wanted to curl until the nail was perpendicular to the sole. After a few days of hiking, the nail pushed through the back of the cuticle (yes, gross) which actually made it feel a lot better since it couldn't push back anymore! Eventually the nail fell off. The other foot was fine. Is that a common problem and what's the best solution? I figure I could tape it or maybe make a little splint out of some plastic or something, I'd just have to be careful not to cause a blister. I'm thinking just tape around the joint would make it stiff enough but still allow movement, vs taping two toes together.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Matt

Egads
03-24-2009, 20:21
Try a longer shoe

LBJ
03-24-2009, 20:23
You could always whack the offender off.

beakerman
03-24-2009, 21:05
sounds like you either managed to get a mismatched pair of hoof covers or one foot is larger than the other...both are more common than you would think. Ether way just get a larger shoe that usually takes care of the problem.

Erin
03-24-2009, 21:31
Sounds as if you have a hammer toe. You can go to a foot doc and get a toe splint that will help with this problem. I have a friend that has this and that worked to straighten out the toe and he hikes and is active. Untreated, it will only get worse.

mateozzz
03-25-2009, 21:25
Actually the boot is plenty big. Thanks!