PDA

View Full Version : NH mail drop

chef14
03-24-2009, 20:17
Hello all,

I am planning to hike the state of NH with a friend this August and we are looking for a place to mail our food. What can people tell me? Is there a post office in North Woodstock or Lincoln that is easy to get to from the trail? Any other options for mail drops around that area?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chef14

Pokey2006
03-24-2009, 20:40
I'm not as familiar with the town stops, since I did NH in sections, but I know you can send maildrops to the Highland Center in Crawford Notch and, I believe, the visitor center at Pinkham Notch. Glencliff is also a good place to send a drop, since the PO is right off the trail, and directly across the street from an excellent hostel.

Sorry, I keep commenting on these NH threads....I must be just a little homesick!

Frosty
03-24-2009, 20:50
Hello all,

I am planning to hike the state of NH with a friend this August and we are looking for a place to mail our food. What can people tell me? Is there a post office in North Woodstock or Lincoln that is easy to get to from the trail? Any other options for mail drops around that area?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Chef14
The Post Office in North Woodstock is best reached from the Rte 3 road crossing (Franconia Notch) as opposed to Kinsman Notch. It's about 2-3 miles down the road, white building on the right hand side, just after Wayne's Market. If you get to the Village Inn you've gone too far.

CrumbSnatcher
03-24-2009, 21:04
Glencliff NH. post office & the hikers welcome hostel are only 1/2 mile off the trail! have a great hike

Blissful
03-25-2009, 13:58
Yes mail drop to Glencliff.
You can maildrop also to the private campground down the road at Crawford Notch, but I'd call ahead to verify. They have a nice hiker bunkhouse too. Shuttle back to the trail.
Maildrop to AMC at Pinkham Notch, ID required.
Note - most AMC huts have food for sale or for free (like their pancakes). Lunch is usually quite obtainable there for small fee. (soup, breads, lemonade)

jod
03-25-2009, 14:43
where are you starting? What direction are you travelling? I think the post office in North Woodstock is better than Lincoln. North Woodstock closes for lunch every day. it closes for the day at 4:30. The hours on Saturday are 9-12. It really isn't that convenient. Neither one is really convenient to the AT. Glencliff PO is almost on the trail. If you need to get food in either town don't bother with the mail drops just go shopping. Wayne's Market in North Woodstock sells everything you need. I suggets getting a pinwheel and cooking over a fire for dinner from Wayne's. Lincoln has the P&C (grocery store) in the same parking lot as the PO.

the hours of both stores are way more convenient than trying to rely on the PO.

Hitching down from Kinsman Notch to North Woodstock can take a long time. Not too much traffic. Hitching from Lafayette is somewhat better due to the traffic. There's much more.

jod
03-25-2009, 14:46
when I say Lafayette, I mean the campground...don't try hitching from the summit you will wait a REAL long time. There's no car traffic there :eek:

emerald
03-25-2009, 16:31
Go here (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm)!

celt
03-25-2009, 21:43
The Post Office in North Woodstock is best reached from the Rte 3 road crossing (Franconia Notch) as opposed to Kinsman Notch. It's about 2-3 miles down the road, white building on the right hand side, just after Wayne's Market. If you get to the Village Inn you've gone too far.

The Woostock P.O. is about 7 miles from the A.T. from either Franconia Notch or Kinsman Notch.

I know what everyone is saying about more traffic from Franconia Notch but I've had better luck with Kinsman. Maybe it was the time of day. In the Morning after staying at Beaver Brook Shelter you can find more locals commuting. Locals = will pick up hikers (vs. tourists = scared of hikers).

A good tip for hitching Kinsman would be to walk east .25 mile and hitch by the exit of Lost River Gorge and you'll catch more cars heading to town.

Rambler
03-28-2009, 18:19
Glencliff,NH 03238 Mon-Fri 7-10 and 2-5, Sat 7-1 603-989-5154 Very close to the trail, turn right going north.
North Woodstock, NH 03262 Mon-Fri 8-12:30, 1:30-5 5.8 miles from the trail turn right going north it is on rte. 3 between Wayne's Market and Woodstock Inn

jod
03-30-2009, 15:20
North Woodstock PO. Rambler listed the ours for the time the boxes are accessable. The counter hours are: 8:30a-12:30p and 1:30p-4:30p M-F. Saturday is 9a-12p. it can be invonvenient.