PDA

View Full Version : One Snapshot to remember

johnnybgood
03-24-2009, 21:38
While thru-hiking the AT is there any one moment where you made a mental snapshot of that particular space in time that was like the so called mountaintop experience where euphoria was kicking in overdrive ?
Just thought I might see if anyone had those experiences that you would like to bottle forever.:sun

UnkaJesse
03-24-2009, 22:00
I'm just a section hiker, but mine would be the top of Tray Mountain. I hit it the first time in a heavy fog. I was looking forward to the long views I'd read about. The fog, was just surreal.

jamarshall
03-25-2009, 19:43
Rand's View CT

Cabin Fever
03-25-2009, 19:47
Silers Bald, NC. First time I had been on a bald and I was speechless.

Low Impact
03-25-2009, 20:07
Rand's View and Siler's Bald are both AMAZING places, but for me I would have to say... KATAHDIN!

Doctari
03-25-2009, 20:08
So far in 538 miles sectioning: I have had MANY MANY views / experiences that at the time were "Forever memories", at least till the next one. So your term "snapshot" is fitting, Take LOTS of pictures, keep a journal.

So many of those memories I thought I would never forget, are saved ONLY because I wrote them down &/or took pictures.

I do remember:
Tray Mt & my view of Atlanta over 100 miles away.

Charlies Bunion, TOTALLY socked in by fog, visability about 8 feet. But I could feel the open space around me. AWESOME!

Wish I was on the trail right now!

Pokey2006
03-25-2009, 21:14
Euphoria is a good way to describe the way I felt when I got to the top of Big Bald. I was just grinning from ear to ear, and wanted to shout for joy. Not sure why I felt this more here than on other mountains, but for whatever reason it does stick out as a 'snapshot.'

Summit
03-25-2009, 21:19
I do remember:
Tray Mt & my view of Atlanta over 100 miles away.
If you all hadn't mentioned Tray Mtn I probably wouldn't have thought of it, but about 75 yds before you get to Tray Mtn Shelter, on the right is a sweet campsite with a nice rock view right there. Ease out onto those rocks at night for a very fine light show of all the little towns, Cleveland, Gainsville, and the glow of Atlanta in the far distance, dancing with the stars and meteors . . . take me home, mountain momma (and John Denver)! :)

bwb49
03-25-2009, 21:45
The view from Big Hump Mtn comes to mind first, but there are many more.

Pokey2006
03-25-2009, 22:55
Big Hump was definitely another one. A gorgeous sunny day, blue skies, light, puffy clouds. I remember feeling like the clouds were so close, I could reach out and touch them.

emerald
03-25-2009, 23:05
I can't imagine anything better for a northbound A.T. through hiker.

Sunset from Saddleback and a rainbow which appeared when I was atop Glastenbury's tower were pretty memorable too.

I've often thought the Kodachromes would look good as images on the walls of my home, but I may like more imagining myself in those places.

Pootz
03-25-2009, 23:22
I had a lot of these during my thru hike. I called them AT moments.

Blood mountian at sunrise was my first.

Others include but are not limited to GA/Nc border, Max Patch, Big hump, Damascus, Pearisburgh, Harperferry, PA my home state, Board walk in Ney Jersey, High Point park in NY, Keny CT, Mt. Graylock, Killington Mtn VT, Franconia Ridge, Mt Washington, Daicey pond, Katadhin, and every place I had lunch just to mention a few.

At each one I thanked God for the oppertunity to hike the AT. What a thril it was to thru hike.

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

bobgessner57
03-25-2009, 23:51
Euphoria is a good way to describe the way I felt when I got to the top of Big Bald. I was just grinning from ear to ear, and wanted to shout for joy. Not sure why I felt this more here than on other mountains, but for whatever reason it does stick out as a 'snapshot.'

35 years ago this week a friend took a Kodachrome of me taking a break on top of Big Bald, perfect weather, totally relaxed, great scenery in the background, ready to roll on to Erwin. I have lost the original slide but the image is indelible in my mind's eye. I don't know why it was such a special moment, it just summed up my feelings about that trip which unfortunately wound up as a long section instead of a thru.

Pokey2006
03-25-2009, 23:58
The weather wasn't even that great when I was there. It had been rainy, it was overcast, windy and cold. But there was still just something about it that was magical. Makes the drudgery and soreness and hunger all worth it.

DiamondDoug
03-26-2009, 09:42
Two. Coming up the path to the ranger station at Daicey Pond the day before I summitted is the first. I'll remember that moment forever; looking up at Katahdin over the water, the soft late afternoon light giving everything a golden glow. I remember stopping in my tracks and being moved to tears. The ranger came out of the office to check me in and I was so overcome I couldn't speak. I remember her saying to take my time, and to come inside whenever I was ready. Now ~that~ was euphoria.

The "snapshot" aspect of your question makes me recall what I always thought was my favorite photograph of the 800 or some odd pictures I took during my hike. Funny how so many folks have mentioned Big bald. This was on the ridge betweeen Big Bald and Little Bald, where it gets narrow as both sides slope steeply down in to Tennessee and North Carolina. It was early May, and the white fringed phacelia was in full bloom, making it look like it had snowed popcorn up there on the ridge.

There was a spot where a large tree had fallen across the trail. It wasn't a straight trunk, though, but had a graceful arch to it, and there had been two cuts made for the trail to pass through. The lines and the colors were just wonderful; the green carpet of vegetation with the phacelia blooming by the thousands, the brown arch of the fallen tree and the trail running down the middle. I took a picture, but can still see that image in my mind's eye far more clearly than the photograph will ever show.

Interesting...the trail no longer passes that spot on Daicey Pond, and I am now the section maintainer between Big Bald and Little Bald. Two more of life's little wrinkles, I guess.

garlic08
03-26-2009, 11:57
From my journal, hiking north out of Pearisburg:

"Pickle is trying, but I don't think a photo will do justice to this day. We're walking on a ridge looking down into West Virginia, surrounded by fragrant blooming trees, grassy meadows, bees, songbirds, even a spring-fed pond. A bee just stung me and I don't even care. This is simply one of the best days of my life. I'd heard that the AT could do this to a person. Well it has. We took a break just to drink it in (literally--great water, too)."

Blissful
03-26-2009, 13:39
For me, at the end atop Katahdin. Took video of it actually, - have to figure out how to get it on You Tube (won't load right)

Kanati
03-26-2009, 13:46
In 2008, the year of my "almost" thru, there were so many memorable moments that it would be impossible to recount them. I remember the feeling of excitement when I looked at the Springer plaque and realized that I was about to step into a journey of adventure that no words can prepare one for. I had waited a lot of years and dreamed a thousand dreams of what it would be like. None of which came close to the reality of experiencing it. But...

I think my most memorable moment occurred early on the morning of April 11th, when I climbed out of Yellow Mtn Gap up Little Hump Mtn, turned around, and looked back south at the Overmountain Shelter nesteled in the valley. The wild turkeys were gobbling, the grouse were drumming, the earth was waking up from it's long winter sleep, and I was literally in a state of euphoria. I thought that if I have to die, now is the time because nothing this side of heaven could match this moment in time. Mmmmm

I haven't stood on Katahdin yet however. After what it takes to legitimately get there, that might equal it. I hope to find out in July this year.

Onward to Katahdin!!!!!!!!!

Happy hiking. :sun

Jim Adams
03-27-2009, 01:44
Roan to Applehouse my first hike.
Lincoln to Lafayette my second hike.
Too many other "close calls" to write here.

geek

fehchet
03-27-2009, 03:31
Hiking over the top of Unaka Mountain with the bottoms of clouds scraping through the enchanted pine forest.

Kaptain Kangaroo
03-27-2009, 05:47
Hiking through brilliant green woods in MA. Had one of those moments when you are so content with being on the trail & just then had this fantastic image of my hiking friend in blue amongst the incredible green of the woods & bright white blaze on a nearby tree. Took a photo, and was stunned when for possibly for the first time, the photo actually conveys the feeling of the moment. Can't look at this picture without being transported back to my thru.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=28354&catid=member&imageuser=3173

Cheers,

Kaptain Kangaroo

Homer&Marje
03-27-2009, 06:22
Just off the AT but every time I'm climbing Bondcliff in NH and you finally get above the tree line, there's a 10' rock cliff you have to climb and turn around to this.

Frau
03-27-2009, 06:41
Wind Rock at dusk; second is Cole Mountain Fields.

Frau

Cabin Fever
03-27-2009, 09:45
Hiking over the top of Unaka Mountain with the bottoms of clouds scraping through the enchanted pine forest.

Ohh, good one. I am spoiled. I could be there in 45 minutes right now.

Doctari
03-27-2009, 09:56

OH YEA!!

Unaka ROCKS.

I likened it to Mirkwood in the Hobbit. When I was there it was Noonish on a cloudless day, I suspect had I been 1 - 2 hours earlier or later, I would have needed to get my flashlight out to see where I was going.

johnnybgood
03-27-2009, 17:02
Great read everyone . I'll weight in on my own thread now.
Double Rainbow over Green County...best clarity I've ever seen , while driving in SNP .

Homer&Marje
03-28-2009, 06:56
Gotta love SNP

No Belay
03-28-2009, 12:31
The last upper open field at Spence Fields. Makes me feel like I'm part of the vista and not just looking down at it. A good place to be alone..a better place to experience with a good friend.

TaTonka

springerfever
03-28-2009, 16:43
Mt Cammerer in winter is awesome !!!!!!

saimyoji
03-28-2009, 19:19
trailhead

Pacific Tortuga
03-28-2009, 19:49
Leaving Nantahala Outdoor Center hiking up out of there I stoped at the first shelter. It was or felt dirtier than most had. Jack Tarlin was saying you need to go up furter when you reach this place to a killer view. Forgot the name (forgive me) but it was everything and more Jack said. I pulled a calf muscel going the xtra miles but it was totally worth the effort.

Baltimore J. was probably not so happy he said anything, when he saw I snaged his favorite tent spot :o it was the best, thanks Jack.

TrippinBTM
03-30-2009, 22:42
Hiking out of Fontana at 3 pm. It started snowing a few miles out. Did about 13 miles, with the detour around the dam, and because of some major pain in my achilles tendon, I somehow managed to get myself into a trance. Killed the pain, and I sorta floated through the miles, the snow, the cold, the darkness. It was a little scary, but also an amazing experience. Did the last 10 miles without a single break, which is a big deal for me, especially going uphill; I tend to get winded due to a heart condition. It was just crazy; I've never breathed that deep and full in my life, and I sorta "lost" myself for a while. there was just the breathing.

That's the only true "euphoric" moment I can think of. Of course, I remember so many other times that were good, almost to the point where keeping a journal was pointless because it's all etched in my mind so well.

Cool that someone else mentioned Unaka Mountain. That was the only other time I hiked over 10 miles without any stopping (and I have to stop to get my water bottles out), trying to catch up with some people, whom I caught going up that mountain. That was a really cool mountain...

TrippinBTM
03-30-2009, 22:46
Unaka ROCKS.

I likened it to Mirkwood in the Hobbit. When I was there it was Noonish on a cloudless day, I suspect had I been 1 - 2 hours earlier or later, I would have needed to get my flashlight out to see where I was going.

Nah, I was there around 6 pm or so, it was dark but not that dark.

Still, I feel you on the LOTR feelings. I always get that feeling when I'm in the woods and mountains. Probably because my dad read the trilogy to me when I was a tot. That's probably why I like to hike, actually...

SteveJ
03-30-2009, 23:37
This one is not AT related, but frankly, it's one of those golden moments in time that won't be forgotten.

About 7 years ago, I took my oldest son on a Boy Scout trip - we did a Northern Tier trip out of Camp Charles Somers, doing a 70 mile paddle in the BWCWA. We left camp on Sunday, and arrived in Alice Lake on Tuesday. Big lake - beautiful campsite...long sandy beach extending backward into a small stand of tall pines. We were in camp by noon, and the kids played in the water and on the beach all day.

Mid-afternoon, we decided to take a 4 or 5 mile side-trip to see some hieroglyphics that were a few lakes over. 5 of us decided to go in two canoes. We came back into Alice Lake paddling almost due west, and had the view below. The ironic thing about it is that it was taken with an $8 disposable waterproof camera. My newly purchased fancy camera got wet the first day; the second adult's fancy camera had stopped working due to condensation on the second day; this was the only functioning camera on the trip.....

gravityman
03-30-2009, 23:54
For me : Climbing up moosilauke. First time coming above treeline, feeling like you could taste the end, but yet knowing there was still so much good terrain in from. Of course it doesn't last, but it was an amazing moment.

For my wife : Zeta peak at sunset. It was pretty amazing, you could feel fall not so far off, but the last sweet kisses of summer still lingering.

Oh yeah....

Mace
03-31-2009, 15:22
kelly's knob - Newport, VA -> I think. Most romantic night on the trail 4 me and my girl 4 some reason.

RITBlake
03-31-2009, 18:49
Climbing Mt. Madison SOBO after a 20 mile day as the sun set and feeling like the only two people on earth as made our way up the deserted mountain.

http://www.maine2georgia.com/New%20Hampshire/slides/195.JPG

Kanati
03-31-2009, 18:54
Big Hump was definitely another one. A gorgeous sunny day, blue skies, light, puffy clouds. I remember feeling like the clouds were so close, I could reach out and touch them.

When I crossed Big Hump the wind was fierce and I could hardly stand up. During the gust I had to stop, lean into it, and wait for the gust to die. I've talked to other hikers who told me they experienced similar winds there at different times.

Is the wind a typical trait of this mountain?

TrippinBTM
03-31-2009, 19:23
For me : Climbing up moosilauke. First time coming above treeline, feeling like you could taste the end, but yet knowing there was still so much good terrain in from. Of course it doesn't last, but it was an amazing moment. .

I agree. I climbed that mountain without a single rest, something I can't usually do on much smaller, easier mountains. I was charged.

And yeah, it was windy as hell on Big Humb when I was there too. It's kind of fun, with the wind a tangible thing to lean on. May be typical for the season, as spring arrives?

Pony
03-31-2009, 21:26
The thing about the humps that got me wasn't just the winds, but the fact that the trail was like a foot deep below the grass, so when the 40+ winds hit you, you either take a step up, or fall over. Still cool.

Unaka Mtn. I mentioned that on another thread, but it was one of the coolest moments I've had on the AT.

SteveJ, not sure where your photo was taken, but it reminds me of some of the countless sunsets that I have seen fishing in Ontario. Been going there for 30+ years. Good stuff.

warraghiyagey
03-31-2009, 21:30
trailhead

Are you talking about the beginning of the trail?

RITBlake
03-31-2009, 22:53
cool thread

TrippinBTM
04-01-2009, 09:50
I made his picture my wallpaper for my desktop. Very nice. Gotta love the North Woods.

Homer&Marje
04-02-2009, 06:44
Mt Cammerer in winter is awesome !!!!!!

Mine too. Few reasons why.

And I expect everyone to go and try this next year. Unless your afraid of heights:D

http://picasaweb.google.com/HomerAndMarje/BrettonWoodsCanopyTourFantasticTime#

Homer&Marje
04-02-2009, 06:49
Edit.

Reason. Reading too fast causes mental dyslexia.

Mt Cammerer does not say My camera..........................:-?

Chaco Taco
04-02-2009, 09:37
Looking out from Moosilauke at Franconia and the Presidentials in complete awe!:D I sometimes close my eyes and picture that to get through the tough days at work!

Homer&Marje
04-02-2009, 10:08
Bet This guy will remember these shots.

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.2

Dhttp://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.3

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.4

jpg">http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.5

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.6

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.7

Not one, but two ! Truly amazing ! These animals were photographed just north of the Wisconsin border on a highway near Marenisco , MI .

Once in awhile there is an opportunity to take in a piece of nature that you may never see. In these days of unrest and turmoil it is great to see that Mother Nature can still produce some wondrous beauty.

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.8

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.9

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.10

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.11

http://sz0062.wc.mail.comcast.net/service/home/%7E/?auth=co&id=3840&part=2.12

The odds of seeing an albino moose are astronomical and to see this in the upper peninsula of

Michigan , near Wisconsin , is even greater than astronomical. To see two of them together is

nearly impossible.

We wanted to share these photos with as many people as possible because you will probably

never have a chance to see this rare sight again.

This is a really special treat

Homer&Marje
04-10-2009, 06:50
That last post did not show the pictures I wanted it too....maybe they are coming up for you guys but not me. So I am going to attach them to this post in lieu of that.

peanuts
04-10-2009, 08:27
great moose pictures homer!!!

Homer&Marje
04-11-2009, 08:29
great moose pictures homer!!!

Thanks, I wish I could say I took the shots, but they were just sent to me via email from someone else that took them....

None the less, once in a lifetime to see 2 albino moose.

johnnybgood
04-11-2009, 17:52
Great pics ! Looks like they're waiting on a hitch to a local Moose Lodge .:D

Speakeasy
04-13-2009, 12:37
Thank you everyone for all your beautiful memories and pictures - it honestly brought tears of happiness to my eyes that you had all these wonderful moments to hold onto for the rest of your lives. It makes everything else seem so small. I can't wait for my thru hike in 2010. I hope I will have many memories to share as well...

Humbly Yours,

Nrvana

buff_jeff
04-13-2009, 19:35
Thank you everyone for all your beautiful memories and pictures - it honestly brought tears of happiness to my eyes that you had all these wonderful moments to hold onto for the rest of your lives. It makes everything else seem so small. I can't wait for my thru hike in 2010. I hope I will have many memories to share as well...

Humbly Yours,

Nrvana

Make sure you take tons of pictures!

It's amazing how quickly the memories fade and blur together.

ga2me97
04-13-2009, 21:55
Katahdan, I was the first to summit that day. I had the place to myself for about 10 minutes. It was quite surreal.

There were actually many other "days" as you put it in your original question.

DuctTape
04-14-2009, 00:45
North out of Carver's Gap, Tennessee you climb up what Bob People's said was called the "Stairway to Heaven," up the first bald area south of Overmountain Shelter (I think they've replaced it with switchbacks). At the crest of this climb there were panoramic views in all directions and the wind blew stong and invigorating in the evening and I was all alone in the mountains hiking the Appalachian Trail on Mothers Day when I was 20 and it was great.

TrippinBTM
04-14-2009, 20:01
Katahdan, I was the first to summit that day. I had the place to myself for about 10 minutes. It was quite surreal.

There were actually many other "days" as you put it in your original question.

I feel ya. I was up there alone, aside from one of my hiking partners. Then we just sat there waiting for the rest of the group to catch up, mostly sitting in silence behind a rock out of the wind. Just soaking it in...

One other snapshot I can remember:

The day I did Mt Washington. The summit itself sucked, swarms of people and noise and commerce, had to get out of there. But a bit later, walking above tree-line in all that beauty, I sat and took a break, and it was dead silent. A fly buzzed and it seemed loud. So peaceful, so perfect. The contrast is what did it for me, though there were other times I had that feeling, especially in NH and ME.

Nicksaari
04-15-2009, 17:28
i will have to agree with Frau, the meadow on Cole Mtn blows me away each time i make that trek. did an ice hike up there solo one day. the Volvo made it about halfway up to hog camp gap, the road and surrounding woods coated with a thick, milky white ice.
determined since i had made that two hour drive, i parked my car, left a note on the windshield, and headed off.
it was a slow go with no falls before i made into hog camp gap. the normal seven minute hike to the bald took about half an hour, complete with falls. when i finally made it out there, the sky matched the color of the ground. clouds that looked like smoke through a wind tunnel roped through that saddle, yet the only sound was my breathing. i had a very sobering moment alone up there, that if i had any trouble, i would be completely screwed. i decided to turn back right then because the weather and that mountain SCARED me.

its so amazing- the dynamic of a mountain. to be humbled in its most horrendous, threatening moments, and to be cradled in peace and serenity in nice weather.
I LOVE HIKING IN THE MTNS!!!!

middle to middle
04-22-2009, 13:40
Strangely not a mountain top but walking through a tunnel of rhododendrin in full bloom in morning sun light.

mindi
04-24-2009, 20:31
I had a lot of 'snapshot' moments on the trail but one stands out and is always the one I tell people about first, and that was in the Grayson Highlands.

The entire place was beautiful and the weather was fantastic when we got there. We set up camp right before sunset in a little clearing and started cooking dinner when we heard the ponies come thundering our way. We edged out from behind the bushes and watched them approach and fly by, and it was like something out of a movie. The late afternoon light was just right, and the sounds of the hoofs and the manes flying..it was just a really breathtaking, picture-perfect moment.

lilypond
04-24-2009, 22:25
McAfee Knob, Va