PDA

View Full Version : Erwin to Troutdale section may 29th ...

darkage
03-24-2009, 22:47
First 2 week long trip ... Same ole questions i'm sure ...

Anything i should be aware of or know about along this section i can't read in the guidebooks, i've never spent two weeks out but wanna be prepared for everything without going overboard ....

1: Wind? ... I'll be taking a rain/wind jacket fleece beanie/gloves and lip balm
2: Water situation - Filter/bladder/bottle ...
3: Camping atop the balds .... allowed? should i bring extra stakes for wind? ... Just got a nice new 10mp, wanna get some sweet morning shots while i'm down there.
4: Food ... I know this can be easily answered by just doing research in my guidebook but if someone can give me an idea before i get that far of resupply's and how much food i should start with ...
5: Clothes - In late May into early june ... will this be enough to stay warm up on them mountain tops? ... Never been that high up, i don't know. :(
This is what i'm carrying, Not wearing.

1 Short Sleeve, 1 long sleeve all UPF
1 fleece 100 count lightweight jacket
1 rain/wind shell
1 fleece beanie and gloves and UPF +50 sunhat
1 wind/cool night light fleece pants for camp "Prolly won't even take um"
2 pairs of socks, 1 pair of camp socks. "I sweat too much to leave a pair home"
1 pair of boxers
Various bandanas ...

I got my big 4 down to 9.13 lbs .... Without sacrificing the sleep comfort i need ... i could do better on my 3.9 lb pack but i find it comfy .... and after the new sleeping bag and pad, the pack can weight .... after replacing some bulk items i might even beable to drop 1500cu off my pack space and go lighter/smaller pack in the coming few weeks/months. :D

My biggest concern is wind and unpredictable weather, never had to deal with it . :rolleyes:

Reid
03-24-2009, 23:52
I've got a ULA p1 I'll sell you for 60 if your intrested in a lightweight pack, plus 8 for shipping. Just FYI if you get the weight down. This pack is made for no more than 35 lbs. All of your clothes and stuff really wont add to much weight if there outdoor specific and better safe than sorry, they'll most likely be bulky and a challenge to pack away when in "hot" mode at which point you shed everything and find out that everything you intended to wear doesn't have it's place in your pack. I usually only use cold weather clothes at night and what you eat as far as carbs and protien can make a huge difference in how warm you are. Your food will probably be your biggest dilema, most take way to much at first. You should plan, plan, and then plan again. You'll never be too far from a road in case of emergency so see how far you can push it. I would say go on a good overnighter 15+ mile hike with everything just to get the feel for it if you've not been out in a while. If I were you, I would focus on food and water arrangements! Your pack weight and clothes are not nearly as big as food weight IMO. With the wind, you just need to hide from it the best you can at night if it gets rough. I love camping perched up on the summit's but sometimes it's best to camp below the summit with natural protection and then bag the summit at sunrise with a coffee.

darkage
03-25-2009, 00:13
I might be interested, i'll get back to you on that ... My clothes are very much lightweight including the fleece .... heaviest peice would be the marmot lightweight reactor fleece .... Your absolutely right about the food/water ... i still after years of backpacking still carry too much ... i gotta train myself to know how much i need ... i just always think i'll need that extra lunch or meal ....

I get that down, and i'm sure i could easily get under 30 lbs .... with a new pack ... pad/35deg bag are 2.4 lbs together ... tent at 3.15 lbs and a 3.9lb pack ... 5000cu ... i really don't carry much else other than large ammounts of food/water ... my pocket rocket/fuel ... leatherman micra/water filter ... camp bladder ... maybe cards .. a book ... 5oz 10mp camara and prolly a few other small items that just off the top of my head and its late ... but i'm never overloaded on crap you'd see some people carry ... My weight problem is strictly lack of disipline on food/water ... i'm sure of it.

John B
03-25-2009, 07:46
380 miles in 2 weeks is quite ambitious. Best of luck with it.

I think your clothes list looks just fine. As you suspected, nights can be cool, but with the fleece and a sleeping bag, I doubt you'll have any troubles.

Water availability will depend on rainfall. I did the Hot Spring-Erwin section in the fall, and water was just fine. I did Erwin to Damascus and water availability was much less, particularly from Kincora to Damascus. Still, even in dry times, if you're carrying 2 liters, that should be more than enough to get you from one water source to the next.

For food resupply, you won't have any problems in this section. Erwin to Kincora, Kincora to Damascus, Damascus to Atkins, Atkins to Pearisburg, then on the Troutville -- this seems to be a common break up of the section. I'll be doing the Atkins-Daleville section soon and will be carrying 5-6 days food from Atkins to Pearisburg, then about the same to Daleville. At the pace you'll be going, you'll never be overloaded with food. Check out Jack Tarlin's resupply article on WB -- very helpful.

I can't answer about camping on the balds. The Hump Mts are outstanding, so is Unaka.

Enjoy.

Cookerhiker
03-25-2009, 07:59
380 miles in 2 weeks is quite ambitious. Best of luck with it.

I think your clothes list looks just fine. As you suspected, nights can be cool, but with the fleece and a sleeping bag, I doubt you'll have any troubles.

Water availability will depend on rainfall. I did the Hot Spring-Erwin section in the fall, and water was just fine. I did Erwin to Damascus and water availability was much less, particularly from Kincora to Damascus. Still, even in dry times, if you're carrying 2 liters, that should be more than enough to get you from one water source to the next.

For food resupply, you won't have any problems in this section. Erwin to Kincora, Kincora to Damascus, Damascus to Atkins, Atkins to Pearisburg, then on the Troutville -- this seems to be a common break up of the section. I'll be doing the Atkins-Daleville section soon and will be carrying 5-6 days food from Atkins to Pearisburg, then about the same to Daleville. At the pace you'll be going, you'll never be overloaded with food. Check out Jack Tarlin's resupply article on WB -- very helpful.

I can't answer about camping on the balds. The Hump Mts are outstanding, so is Unaka.

Enjoy.

It's only 170 miles - he's going to Troutdale not Troutville.

stranger
03-25-2009, 08:20
The Roan Highlands are probably the best overall section of the south, but to be honest, you aren't out exposed for long periods of time, you get to duck into the bush between each one so if it's pissing down that can give you a break.

If you plan on camping on top of the balds, obviously you will need to think about staking your tent out properly and using the appropriate guy lines, I wouldn't recommend camping high up on an exposed bald mountain unless you are sure of the weather, you won't have any natural wind breaks and cooking might be a pain in the ass as well.

In terms of resupply: I have been through there twice and have resupplied at the following locations leaving Erwin:
- Elk Park/Roan Mountain - grocery store about a mile to the west, there is a good hostel 0.3 to the east that will shuttle you, Mountain Harbour B&B I believe
- Hampton, staying at the Braemer Castle Hostel, decent grocery store in town, you need to check into the hostel at the grocery store, Browns Grocery, good pub down the road as well.
- Damascus, great supermarket on the edge of town, everything else you need is right in town, Dot's closes early on Sun! I highly recommend the Hikers Inn, if you don't like it the Place is just through the back yard.
- Pick up some odds and ends at Jerrys Kitchen I believe, restaurant and very limited grocery store in Troutdale

Good luck, a great section, Roan and Grayson Highlands in early June, very nice.

stranger
03-25-2009, 08:24
Oh yeah, Greasy Creek Friendly hostel is located about 24 miles north of Erwin, it's down a 0.7 side trail, to the right when looking at the sign, however, if you go here I would not recommend resupplying as she stocks very limited supplies, but you can top up on fuel and grab a shower, it's only about $8-$12.

John B
03-25-2009, 09:26
It's only 170 miles - he's going to Troutdale not Troutville.

Ahem, that does make a difference! :o

darkage
03-25-2009, 10:33
Yeah, Troutdale ... Big difference ... :D

I've heard alot about this section and its why i decided to hit this section with the time i had to do it in ... My wife says i worry too much prior too any event .... So i'm just making sure i do everything i can to make sure i make it to the end ...

Those resupply points i can match up and use to plan in my guidebook now and save me some headaches .... Thanks. :banana

kayak karl
03-25-2009, 10:43
Yeah, Troutdale ... Big difference ... :D

I've heard alot about this section and its why i decided to hit this section with the time i had to do it in ... My wife says i worry too much prior too any event .... So i'm just making sure i do everything i can to make sure i make it to the end ...

Those resupply points i can match up and use to plan in my guidebook now and save me some headaches .... Thanks. :banana
its a short hike you won't starve:). just go with your gut. take your time, enjoy the views and say hi to Sparky for me:D
http://thumb6.webshots.net/t/52/752/0/64/50/2523064500104593866lljVez_th.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2523064500104593866lljVez)

darkage
03-25-2009, 10:56
its a short hike you won't starve:). just go with your gut. take your time, enjoy the views and say hi to Sparky for me:D
http://thumb6.webshots.net/t/52/752/0/64/50/2523064500104593866lljVez_th.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2523064500104593866lljVez)

Thats what i hear, If i went with my gut ... i'd pack way too much food ... :eek:
But i'll make sure i have spare beef jerky for sparky! ... i hear they like it. He's so cute, my 6 year old is going awwww .... Enjoyed the journal too .... preciate it.

Blissful
03-25-2009, 13:48
You're going in the warmer season, except for maybe a few cooler nights at Roan. Take gear mainly for summer weather, this is the south. Summer bag with a liner. No gloves, no camp socks (switch to one other pair of hiking socks. Hot feet mean blisters)
Aqua mira. Platy 3 literis fine.
Could get windy. Stakes is a good idea.

Resupply at 19E (Mountain Harbor B and B will shuttle you to a store for a fee)
Kincora (mail a box or Bob sometimes shuttles to town)
Damascus

kayak karl
03-25-2009, 15:01
i'd pack way too much food ... :eek:
after your first 4 days you'll know what to pack. at the end of the trip you'll be starving:D. can't win for losing when it comes to food:D

darkage
03-25-2009, 16:02
You're going in the warmer season, except for maybe a few cooler nights at Roan. Take gear mainly for summer weather, this is the south. Summer bag with a liner. No gloves, no camp socks (switch to one other pair of hiking socks. Hot feet mean blisters)
Aqua mira. Platy 3 literis fine.
Could get windy. Stakes is a good idea.

Resupply at 19E (Mountain Harbor B and B will shuttle you to a store for a fee)
Kincora (mail a box or Bob sometimes shuttles to town)
Damascus

Everything is for summer, Shirts are UA wylie and a Long Sleeve Columbia titanium .. My Sleeping bag is a MB down SS #4 ... 35 deg, maybe something silk, i've seen its the lightest ... thing i need it? ... Gloves are a light UA thin fleece for wind/light rain on cooler days ... security blanket i guess ... i'll think about leaving um home ... And yes i'll be carrying a 3L msr hydro ... Plus a bottle for mixed drinks ... I'm looking at these points in my 2009 companion but i don't see kincora anywhere ....

kayak karl
03-25-2009, 16:30
Everything is for summer, Shirts are UA wylie and a Long Sleeve Columbia titanium .. My Sleeping bag is a MB down SS #4 ... 35 deg, maybe something silk, i've seen its the lightest ... thing i need it? ... Gloves are a light UA thin fleece for wind/light rain on cooler days ... security blanket i guess ... i'll think about leaving um home ... And yes i'll be carrying a 3L msr hydro ... Plus a bottle for mixed drinks ... I'm looking at these points in my 2009 companion but i don't see kincora anywhere ....
mile marker 410.9 USFS 50 Dennis Cove 423-725-4409 and tell Bob Peoples i said H, you won't meet better.i:)

darkage
03-25-2009, 16:36
Ahh ok cool, I see it now ... in the book its dennis cove USFS 50 ... and i've heard alot about this bob people's ... i'll be sure to remember to say hi for ya ... =]

darkage
05-18-2009, 15:34
Is it easier to resupply in dennis cove, or hampton without a shuttle .... we plan on early morning resupply's and back on the trail ...