PDA

View Full Version : Thru hikers in CT

Turtlehiker
03-25-2009, 09:07
I want to take my sons to the AT this summer and I thought it would be neat for them to see some thru hikers, could be more entertaining than the zoo. Just kidding. I was thinking about hiking in with them to a shelter in CT with some trail magic.
Anyway what time of year will the group be coming thru CT?

Chenango
03-25-2009, 10:59
Mid to late July would get you some sightings. Bring a camera. They dissappear quickly once spotted. ;)

Actually, I think it is great to expose folks to the thru-hiker experience.

Tin Man
03-25-2009, 11:18
and late august thru september the sobo crew comes through

Turtlehiker
03-26-2009, 16:05
What would you recommend for some trail magic? I will be staying overnight with my 2 sons which means I will already have a heavy pack so although a case of cold beer would be great, I ain't carrying that.

Tin Man
03-26-2009, 16:16
In CT? Some simple snacks, cookies, or chocolate should keep them talking if that is what you want. Depending on the conditions at the time you go, the biggest need is water. Anything more is crazy - these folks are on vacation and resupply here is easy.

sasquatch2014
03-26-2009, 21:53
I would say that Mid July may even be a bit late. I know a friend who did his thru last year passed into my area just over the line in NY at the beginning part of July and he was a Sept 11 finisher. I would say that anytime from the start of July on through the end is a good likely hood that you will see thru hikers.