PDA

View Full Version : OES tarp

gtg
03-25-2009, 09:33
I think my first post here was about tarps, first thanks to all of you rather you posted back or your other posts I am amazed just how helpful I am finding all the various posts. After more research I am going to go with an OES tarp. I appreciate outstanding customer service and from the reports here it seems Brian is the best at it. I did contact Brian once and am now trying to decide which of his tarps will best suit me. I don’t do the hammock routine just my bivy. So don’t think I need the actual MacCat but will go with one of his standard tarps, probably with the cat-cut in the 8x10 size. It sounds like I can get it either in the standard silnylon or in the SpinnUL fabric. I haven’t been able to get back to Brian but maybe some one here can help me. I am wondering what the differences in the two fabrics are, silnylon and SpinnUL and what would be recommended. I will be using the tarp in all 4 seasons also I am sure it will get exposed to some pretty high winds. Also is there a need for extra tie outs?
Thanks!

take-a-knee
03-25-2009, 09:44
You don't want a Macat if you'll be on the ground, get the 8X10. The buzz is spinnaker is the way to go, almost as light as cuben fiber but a lot more durable, minimal stretch (unlike silnylon) and absolutely totally waterproof under all conditions, IE no "misting" like silnylon can do.

Cannibal
03-25-2009, 10:26
I love my OES Spinn MacCat! I picked it up half way thru my AT hike last year to save a few ounces during the warm months. It is a great fabric for tarps! Take-a-knee pretty much covered it all with the weight, duribility, minimal stretch, and the waterproofness. The later is by far my favorite aspect.

I had a lot of self-proclaimed "gear-heads" lecturing me on the Trail about how the Spinn is not durable and how I "should have done my homework before going out on the trail with it". They were (big surprise) very wrong. It actually looks better than my sil tarps that have had less pack-time and took the impact of a falling limb from a height of about 30' without leaving so much as a mark. The stuff is very durable for a lightweight fabric, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.