PDA

View Full Version : Wanting To Hike The AT, Need Help To Get Started.

GeorgiaSandman
03-25-2009, 10:10
Hey Guys, I just turned 21. And my life long dream has to been hike the AT. I have always gone on weekend hike's and week hike's. And now Im wanting to hike the AT, before I get to old and get where im tied down with other things where I wont be able to do it.

So with that said, Im wanting to hike the AT soon no later than the next 2 mths. So the big question is, where do I begin? What all do I need to look into buying from clothes, boots, gear, pack etc. What is a good site to look at for all my gear? How much money am I looking to spending? I have some gear just nothing really heavy duty to going on a 6mth hike. So can anoyone give me some help? How do I go about going and leaving for the hike. Thanks for the help in advance.:sun

Rain Man
03-25-2009, 10:32
Well, you've started at a good web site -- WhiteBlaze.

Join the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and call them to ask for their materials written for new hikers.

Join the Georgia AT Club, asap. They are a big help to newbies.

One more suggestion, go online or to your local library and search for books on the "Appalachian Trail." Check out a few that look good to you and read them. Some have lots of advice on gear, schedules, cost, techniques, etc.

Finally... go out and hike some. Do some weekend hikes (over-nighters) and learn from doing.

P.S. If you consider "old" anyone younger than 57, I take back all my advice! :D

Rain:sunMan

garlic08
03-25-2009, 10:36
Some of the hikers on this forum have spent many years planning what you're talking about doing in weeks, but you know what, you can do it. It's just walking, after all. You need a good sense of adventure and enough savvy and shelter to survive a couple of nasty weather events. You'll learn your physical limits and comfort levels. Try to read a few journals at www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com) to see what you're getting into. There are some gear lists there, too, but those will be all over the charts, probably more confusing than helpful. There are more ways to successfully hike the AT than there are hikers.

It also takes some money. You'll probably need a couple thousand dollars to eat and live decently along the trail, and probably less than a thousand to buy some decent gear if you're starting from scratch. It can be done for much less, many spend way more.

A long hike doesn't have to take more gear than a short one. In fact, I carry less stuff on long hikes than I do on weekend trips. You'll need to replace some stuff that wears out, like socks, and you may find that your shoes aren't working well or wear out and need to replace them. You'll see lots of good ideas along the way for shelter, cooking, clothing, etc, and you may want to buy that stuff when you find a town.

It's a fine trail and adventure. I hope it works out for you.

MileMonster
03-25-2009, 10:47
Go for it, brotha'. You ask a very broad question the answer to which basically takes up this entire website, lol. There are a thousand ways to do it and basically no wrong way, except the way that makes other hikers' experiences crappy.

Begin by reading the articles on this site and posts in these forums. There are lots of gear lists posted and comments on gear lists. You can also read posts on trailjournals.com to find out people's experiences.

If you are hiking northbound I'd suggest leaving by mid April or you'll have to worry about running out of time to finish by Oct. Otherwise, wait 'til June and start southbound from Springer.

Money - I'd say $2500 bare minimum NOT including your gear. Of course, more is better.

You mention not having gear that is "heavy duty" enough for a 6 month hike. It might take you 6 months to get from start to finish, but the AT is more like a string of 3-5 day hikes. If you have been on week-long backpack trips you likely have gear that is "heavy duty" enough. Your gear could possibly be too heavy duty as most of the time on the AT lighter is better. Ex - a 7lb pack and 6 lb tent may be bombproof, but I, personally, wouldn't carry them on a thru.

As you read you'll have more specific questions. Search for your topic in the forums. If it hasn't been asked before or you can't find it, ask away. Lots of people here with lots of opinions, some even helpful lol.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

- MM.

GeorgiaSandman
03-25-2009, 13:06
Didnt mean to call you old, how do I join the GA group?

I have the funds right now to go off and get all of my stuff, and have the money for the trip as well. So right now money is no problem. My gear I was talking about being non heavy duty I was trying to say is just cheap stuff I have gotten over the years from wal-mart and etc. Im needing to get some better quality quipment. Is there just one website, that I can go to and look for all my gear and hiking needs? Needing everything from a pack, tent, etc.

What were some place's I could look to hear about the trip from some people who have done it, was it hiking journal? Just really wanting to find out how to just go about doing this. It cant be as simple as just getting my gear and start walking is it? All the help and webistes will really help out guys! Thanks!:sun

ShakeyLeggs
03-25-2009, 13:21
As others have said what you are planning is totally doable.

It cant be as simple as just getting my gear and start walking is it? !:sun Yep it is pretty much that simple. But there is a bit more to it. Must get to the trail then start walking.

As for places to buy gear there are many. My first suggestion would be to go to a local outfitter. That way you will be able to see, feel and try on the gear. Then there is online try;

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Home_

http://www.rei.com/

They are two of the biggies. There are so many more that to list them would take up more space than needed. Just do a search and you will find them.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Blissful
03-25-2009, 13:35
Read up first. The articles here, different threads in the forums (do searches for gear suggesiotns, money, food, etc). Lots to look at. Also check out trailjournals.com for online journals and gear lists.

But I'd plan to begin no later than May 1st in GA to make it to ME before the snow unless you plan to go SOBO (southbound). Then you start mid June on.

And you're in GA - might take a trip to Neel Gap and Mountain Crossings and see about some gear ideas, esp if you're ok on money. Talk to hikers up there coming through too.

Yep, get your gear and go for it. You're young. You can do it that way (sigh)
Enjoy it.

Petr
03-25-2009, 13:57
If you're overwhelmed with the amount of information and options out there, start here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=132311#post132311

This is SGT Rock's article on what you should carry, from A to Z. It was invaluable to me as I'm a total newbie. I read it and started a gear spreadsheet. At first it was just a list of items that I needed to carry, e.g. sleeping bag, sleeping pad, shelter etc. etc. Then I started at the top of my spreadsheet, researched my options for each individual item (best places are this website and your local outfitter), and decided on the ideal piece of gear for my needs and my funds. So, now my spreadsheet had 3 columns: category (i.e. sleeping bag, shelter), make and model (i.e. Sierra Designs Snowlight 0*, MSR Hubba HP), and a "do I have it?" column (yes/no). Next I started scouring the internet for the best deals I could find, made up a generous Christmas wishlist for my parents (I love you mom and dad...thanks!), and started piecemealing my gear together.

Last piece of advice: decide for yourself how much you want to obsess about pack weight, but regardless of that decision KNOW how much EVERYTHING you carry weighs. Whether you choose to carry 15 lbs or 35 lbs, it will help you make important decisions.

Anyway, that's just a pack sniffer's perspective. I might have more credibility if I had ever stepped foot on the AT. 10 months away for me now.

GeorgiaSandman
03-25-2009, 15:06
So that place you where telling me about in North Georgia, that shop will pretty much have a lot of stuff I need to get started? I do have a question that is random, would it be bad for me to take an Ipod on the trail? Do other hard-core hikers look down on that?

Also, what do a lot of people do for food? Schould I look into getting a water purification kit? Thanks againg for all the help!:sun

Ender
03-25-2009, 15:15
Here's my advice...

First, it's only walking, so it really doesn't take much to do in terms of experience.

Second, buy the lightest gear you can find, learn how to use it before you go into the woods, and treat that gear nicely since it'll be your home for the next 6 months.

Third, buy a good sleeping bag. I suggest Western Mountaineering bags if you have the money. The Ultralite is a great 3 season bag.

Fourth, buy your backpack last, and make sure all your other gear fits into it. Make sure the backpack is comfy.

Fifth, enjoy yourself.

Ender
03-25-2009, 15:27
Also, you should pick up the AT Data Book. And also either the Thru Hiker's Companion, the Appalachian Pages, or theThru Hiker's Handbook.

Lyle
03-25-2009, 15:56
You've done weekends and week-long trips already. Believe it or not, you already know most of what you need to know to start out. Anything further will be refining and copying what others are doing if it looks better than what you are doing. One very accurate way to look at a long hike is just a series of short hikes between re-supply. You can always order or pick up gear along the way, once you decide what you really need.

Experienced hikers put way too much planning into starting a long trip. If you know the basics, go for it. The AT is a kind and patient teacher.

Pootz
03-25-2009, 15:57
Didnt mean to call you old, how do I join the GA group?

I have the funds right now to go off and get all of my stuff, and have the money for the trip as well. So right now money is no problem. My gear I was talking about being non heavy duty I was trying to say is just cheap stuff I have gotten over the years from wal-mart and etc. Im needing to get some better quality quipment. Is there just one website, that I can go to and look for all my gear and hiking needs? Needing everything from a pack, tent, etc.

What were some place's I could look to hear about the trip from some people who have done it, was it hiking journal? Just really wanting to find out how to just go about doing this. It cant be as simple as just getting my gear and start walking is it? All the help and webistes will really help out guys! Thanks!:sun

www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com)

This is a great website. Full of good light weight gear. Good luck with your hike

Hoop
03-25-2009, 16:42
That place in north Georgia has quality bags, packs, shelter, clothes, cooking stuff. Pluck some greens from that money tree in the yard and hop in the car. google mountain crossings for the web address.

GeorgiaSandman
03-25-2009, 16:56
This all seem's interesting. Any other good sites, like you all have gave me so far? When is it to late to leave for the trail?

bigcranky
03-25-2009, 17:33
You really need to visit the Mountain Crossings outfitter at Neels Gap, in north Georgia. It's near Dahlonega, if that helps. If I have it right, you'll find them right about here. (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=us&ei=E6LKSbmcE-XfnQfwraDsCQ&hl=en&msa=0&ll=34.72807,-83.903961&spn=0.081828,0.133381&z=13&msid=103258313715730161958.000465f8313be266a48b0)

That store specializes in hiking the Appalachian Trail. They have the right gear, and their employees are thru-hikers and can properly outfit you and answer all your questions. Seriously, that's the place to go. Plan on spending all day there.

bigcranky
03-25-2009, 17:36
When is it to late to leave for the trail?

It's never too late to leave for the trail.

If you start by mid-April, you can easily do a full northbound thru-hike this year. Easily.

If you start later, there are several alternative hikes you might like. Start at Harper's Ferry and hike north to Katahdin, then go back to HF and hike south to Springer is one example. There are many more on the ATC web site. (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm)

Feral Bill
03-25-2009, 20:40
Search this site for "books" to find good suggestions for a how to book or two. It might ease the learning curve.

By the way, you will be too old in about sixty years.

GeorgiaSandman
03-25-2009, 22:50
Would starting the trail in Georgia around May be a little crazy? Towards the middle weeks of May?

Pokey2006
03-26-2009, 03:03
Plenty of people your age start in May. Just be prepared to hustle a little (though I'd get my trail legs first!). And go as lightweight as you can, so you can cruise along and catch up with the pack.

Bear in mind that you can always flip-flop if you have to.

Hey, you can totally pull this off. I decided in late January '06 to hike the trail, having never been backpacking before (though having been an avid dayhiker all my life). I had not one piece of equipment. By April 5 I quit my job, moved out of my apartment, was fully equipped and out hiking the trail.

How I did it: lots of research on Whiteblaze and backpacking gear review sites, plus using comparison charts from Backpacker Mag. Then, several trips to REI, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc.

Just keep asking questions here on WB if you need more help. Good luck!

fiddlehead
03-26-2009, 03:43
I would spend 10-20 hours reading thru whiteblaze and articles.
I started one of my thrus on May 9, 1995
One problem with starting that late, possibly would be that you will come across small groups of people who started out with intentions of going all the way on a thru but decided the hardships of pushing yourself to do the 10+ miles a day wasn't fun so, they started staying in their sacks longer and longer and the partying got bigger and better.

Don't let these folks suck you in. Enjoy their talks and move on.
It will be hard to believe sometimes, but it is 80% mental on whether you finish or not (if that is your goal)

The gear is not so important. Get a good sleeping bag and don't wear cotton and everything else will fall into place.

You came to the right place to learn what you need to know to do it.

As many have already said: Have fun. (we wish we were going with you)

mweinstone
03-26-2009, 06:38
i will not help you. wait,..yes i will. duh. its what i do. forgot. my bad.

Tin Man
03-26-2009, 07:22
i will not help you. wait,..yes i will. duh. its what i do. forgot. my bad.

that's very thoughtful and helpful of you.

campmor.com - great service and pricing

GeorgiaSandman
03-26-2009, 10:06
Im going to Athen's this weekend, I may try and go to that place over the weekend. Or go next Sunday!

You guys keep saying a sleeping bag, and a "PAD" what are you talking about when you say PAD? Also what brand of tents schould I look at?:sun

bigcranky
03-26-2009, 10:50
A "pad" is something that you put on the ground and sleep on. It can be as simple as a $10 closed cell foam pad from Walmart, or a $125 self-inflating Thermarest.

It's not just for comfort -- you really do need the insulation between you and the cold ground.

Ender
03-26-2009, 11:40
You'll for sure want a pad. Not only does it make sleeping more comfortable from a padding standpoint, it also insulates you from the cold ground, which is very important in all but the hottest weather.

GeorgiaSandman
03-26-2009, 12:25
Ok thanks for that, I was checking to make sure it wasnt going to be like just extra weight.

Also whats a brand of tent to look into?:sun

GeorgiaSandman
03-26-2009, 14:17
Ok I have another question! How long do most people walk each day on average? Like how many hours, how many miles? Thanks!:sun

GeorgiaSandman
03-26-2009, 14:37
Ok guys here I am again with another question. Next to the tent I schould look at, and how long do most people hike each day...

When I am packing for my hike, Do I need to pack for the whole 6mths? Clothing wise, or do I need to have my stuff droped to a location as the colder months come?:sun

mister krabs
03-26-2009, 14:38
Ok thanks for that, I was checking to make sure it wasnt going to be like just extra weight.

Also whats a brand of tent to look into?:sun

Check out the stuff at mt crossings, if you don't see anything you like, there are lots of other options from 100-500 dollars. Plenty of threads on shelters for research as well. Consider tarp or hammock options.

kanga
03-26-2009, 14:44
go try out stuff (pack, raingear, warm jackets, bag, etc) at an outfitters and find the stuff that you like the best, then do a google search online and find it cheaper.

Lyle
03-26-2009, 14:46
Ok I have another question! How long do most people walk each day on average? Like how many hours, how many miles? Thanks!:sun

Varies tremendously. I like to get on trail by 7:30 or so. It's great to have half your miles in by noon, then you can play around in the PM, or extend your planned day if you get into camp earlier than you like. I tend to hike about 10 or 11 hours, taking some time out for breaks. This can vary widely though.

Mileage, keep it below 12 miles early on, your body will be happier in the long run. After a week or two, there should be no problem upping that to 14 to 20 miles, depending entirely on how your body reacts and your motivation. Don't overdue it.

Biggest and most important piece of advice I could give: Remain flexible, write no plans in stone.

Second most important piece of advice: NEVER decide to quit while you are miserable. Misery will more than likely pass with a warm bed and full belly. Take at least a couple of weeks to make such a drastic decision as to abandon you hike.

HAVE FUN!!!

superman
03-26-2009, 14:57
I would spend 10-20 hours reading thru whiteblaze and articles.
I started one of my thrus on May 9, 1995
One problem with starting that late, possibly would be that you will come across small groups of people who started out with intentions of going all the way on a thru but decided the hardships of pushing yourself to do the 10+ miles a day wasn't fun so, they started staying in their sacks longer and longer and the partying got bigger and better.

Don't let these folks suck you in. Enjoy their talks and move on.
It will be hard to believe sometimes, but it is 80% mental on whether you finish or not (if that is your goal)

The gear is not so important. Get a good sleeping bag and don't wear cotton and everything else will fall into place.

You came to the right place to learn what you need to know to do it.

As many have already said: Have fun. (we wish we were going with you)

Good advise Fiddlehead. White blaze has a wealth of information in its collection of "Articles." I especially like Datto's article listed under "Hiking Advise." It's title is "Datto's AT Thru-Hiking Tips."

Blissful
03-26-2009, 15:04
Would starting the trail in Georgia around May be a little crazy? Towards the middle weeks of May?

You'll have to move it to finish before the snow in ME.

Less zeros and time in town. Lots of steady high miles.

Or you can always flip flop too if you want. Hike from GA to Harpers Ferry. Travel to Maine and hike back to Harpers Ferry. Good way to have a good time too.

superman
03-26-2009, 15:14
Yup, a flip flop makes sense, as Blissfull suggested.

Ender
03-26-2009, 15:29
Ok guys here I am again with another question. Next to the tent I schould look at, and how long do most people hike each day...

The trouble with those questions are there aren't single answers... what works for some won't work for others.

My advice for the tent is... get something light... try looking at a total weight of no more than 3 pounds. I would highly suggest looking at a tarptent (Gossamer Gear, Shires, Six Moon Designs), as they're really light. Then again, they are less tradition designs, and require the use of hiking poles to be used as tent poles. Not everyone likes that. I do, because it saves weight. And once you get your tent, set it up in your back yard... a lot. That way once you're out in the woods you already know how to use the thing and can set it up in a thunderstorm without taking too much time.

For the distance hiked... there's really no good answer to that. It depends on the time of year you leave, how fast of a hiker you are, what shape you start in, personal preference... etc etc etc. General rule, hike till you get tired. Stop. Rest. Hike some more.

When I am packing for my hike, Do I need to pack for the whole 6mths? Clothing wise, or do I need to have my stuff droped to a location as the colder months come?:sun

You shouldn't be bringing too much in teh first place. But cold weather gear you can mail ahead to yourself using bounce boxes via USPS.

GeorgiaSandman
03-26-2009, 15:29
Doing a flip flop, do you get the same adventure and same thrill of doing it from beging to end?:sun

GeorgiaSandman
03-27-2009, 10:49
I have a question about food, do a lot of people start out with food and as they hike stop off in towns and etc. and get more food along the way? How does that work?

Im not really understanding the whole mail-drops, can someone help me with this?:sun

Lone Wolf
03-27-2009, 10:51
I have a question about food, do a lot of people start out with food and as they hike stop off in towns and etc. and get more food along the way? How does that work?

Im not really understanding the whole mail-drops, can someone help me with this?:sun

mail drops are a PIA. buy as you go. it's easy to do

Tin Man
03-27-2009, 11:02
there's a resupply article on the home page here that many find helpful

tionesta72
03-27-2009, 11:08
I am right where you are (newbie with some hiking experience), though I'm planning a hike for next year (due to money). I have people telling me not to go, but I'm not listening. If you're getting negative feedback as well, just pull thru and do it!

Good luck and happy hiking!

Lyle
03-27-2009, 11:19
I am right where you are (newbie with some hiking experience), though I'm planning a hike for next year (due to money). I have people telling me not to go, but I'm not listening. If you're getting negative feedback as well, just pull thru and do it!

Good luck and happy hiking!

In order to stay positive, this is a great site. I don't recall anyone telling a young, uncommitted person to forgo a thru if they had a mind to do it. It's a GREAT experience and anyone who tells you "not to do it" doesn't really know what they're talking about.

GO FOR IT!!!

And have fun.

GeorgiaSandman
03-27-2009, 11:53
Oh belive me I have people telling me im an idot for wanting to do this. But when I come back Im going to rub it in there face! I've got the funds right now to go, im going to look into getting my gear quickly, and try and hit the trail around the 2nd week of May!

Kanati
03-27-2009, 18:50
And I'll tell you something else. There is no right or wrong way of preparing. Most of being prepared is learning over a period of years what suits you best. Start walking and by the time you get to Fontana Dam you will have most of it figured out. Really, it's that simple. Just remember, light is right, but not too light.

Happy hiking. :sun

Sarge
03-27-2009, 19:10
GeorgiaSandman, I sent you an Email and a PM so you can contact me. I live in Hahira which is only down the road from you. I'll give you all the one on one help you need if you want me to.

Sarge

jpanderson80
03-30-2009, 13:06
Sarge is offering a great deal here!

GeorgiaSandman
03-30-2009, 15:04
I know I going to get with him sometime this week.

RockDoc
03-30-2009, 16:23
Oh, to be 21 again (and know what I know now!).

But seriously, you should go for it. You will learn along the way, and your body can take the abuse better than most. I hiked 1000 miles of AT when I was 17-18, with a heavy (50 lb) Kelty pack. I must have had a strong back/weak mind.

You can do it. There's a reason that the army sends YOU into combat, and not old geezers like me. Physically, young bodies are just incredible.