PDA

View Full Version : Wamth and HH Ultralite Backpacker A-Sym

prain4u
03-25-2009, 18:03
I am new to "hammock hanging" and I am looking forward to it.

I recently acquired a Hennessy Hammocks "Ultralite Backpacker A-Sym". I am looking for ideas regarding staying warm in it--particularly from the UNDERSIDE. Should I get an "underquilt"? or Should I sleep on a foam pad inside of the hammock instead? I am looking for the pros/cons of each method (or looking for alternative ideas). I plan on using the hammock for three season of the year.

Do you have any recommendations regarding which underquilt or which sleeping pad I should probably get for this particular hammock?

My biggest question: With an underquilt--or with a sleeping pad--what do you do about getting in and out of the hammock with the entrance to the hammock being through the bottom for Hennessy Hammocks?

NOTE: I am becoming more of a "lite" and/or "ultralite" hiker--so weight will play some role in my decision

Egads
03-25-2009, 18:07
You should most definitely get a JRB underquilt. You can supplement your underquilt with a pad for cold weather use. My nest is my most used quilt / bag

Getting in is simple; push the quilt / pad aside and climb in.

Seeker
03-25-2009, 18:17
www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net)

lots of the same friendly folks you find here, but entirely devoted to the art and science of hammock hanging. there are plenty of articles over there to address and answer each of your questions. search there too, for other stuff as it comes to mind. great site.

SteveJ
03-25-2009, 20:08
Congrats on your move to the light! I've had a HHBPULAsym for 5 or 6 years. I'd love to spend the $'s on a down underquilt, but have never been able to justify it. I sleep comfortably in my HH with a 3/8" CCF pad (27" wide Target pad) down to about 40 deg. Below that, I'll add another layer of 3/8" pad, or a thermarest if I expect it to go below 20. I've been comfortable into the low teens with high winds with one 3/8" pad, a TR Guidelite, a 22 oz. down quilt, and a couple of layers of thermals. Total pack weight for the weekend was 25 lbs!

Be sure and experiment in your back yard!

Steve

take-a-knee
03-25-2009, 22:45
To go along with your new hennessy hammock order the 3-season set from JRB, it consists of the Nest (underquilt) and the No-Sniveler. I also highly reccomend the JRB Hood. Then order a Macat Deluxe hammock tarp in Spinntex from OES. Your wallet will be a bit thinner but, if you keep hiking and hanging, the gear I just listed is what you'll wind up with. It'll likely cost more a year or two from now and you'll have to sell all the other crap you've bought 'cause you aren't happy with it.

prain4u
03-25-2009, 22:50
I sleep comfortably in my HH with a 3/8" CCF pad (27" wide Target pad) down to about 40 deg. Below that, I'll add another layer of 3/8" pad, or a thermarest if I expect it to go below 20.

Did you cut, trim, or otherwise shape that CCF pad to have it fit any "better" (and be lighter) OR has the original shape and size worked best for you?

prain4u
03-25-2009, 23:09
THANKS EVERYONE! So far, y'all are giving me great ideas (and including SPECIFIC reasons pro/con for your recommendation, or providing a link to a site, or giving some other data that I can use in making my decision). It is greatly appreciated.

I personally find that the type of things which you are writing are much more helpful than when folks simply post: "I use 'X'" or "Don't use 'Y'". THANKS!

Tinker
03-25-2009, 23:10
I have a HH UL backpacker A-sym and, after seeing the prices on the various underquilts, I went out and bought a cheap basic hammock and pulled a sleeping bag up around it for warmth. Insulation over and under and easier to get into and out of than a HH. I also bought an ENO bug net to wear over the whole package when the bugs came out. It weighs a little more than the HH, but is more user friendly.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG

SteveJ
03-25-2009, 23:58
Did you cut, trim, or otherwise shape that CCF pad to have it fit any "better" (and be lighter) OR has the original shape and size worked best for you?

I've done both....and end up going back with an untrimmed one - that gives me more space at the foot so that my feet won't come off the pad (that gets cold quick), and more width at the shoulders to keep me warm. If I expect it to be below freezing, I'll put a shorter piece of ccf in to "T" at the shoulders to be sure they're not against the cold hammock fabric....

Spogatz
03-26-2009, 00:08
I carry down boots for the feet. Light and I got them for about 20 bucks at REI. Keeps the feet warm.

Cannibal
03-26-2009, 10:39
If you are willing to have a zipper mod done on your HH, you could go with a Warbonnet Yeti. It is a torso length down underquilt (should be available at Trail Days this year). The 3-season version is 14.5oz and has kept me warm to 35F so far. The zipper mod can be done here (http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/index.html) by 2Q & ZQ; they do great work, looks like a factory install. It will add 3.5oz to the HH. So, for 18oz you can have a warm backside at least down to 40F.

You'll need the zipper mod to be able and reach out of the hammock to set the position of the Yeti. You can do it without reaching out, but big time PITA.

JaxHiker
03-26-2009, 15:43
I can't justify the cost of a true UQ at the moment so I've opted for the SuperShelter. With that and an emergency blanket as a vapor barrier I've slept very comfortably in the 20s.

In more mild temps I'm good with the JRB WeatherShield. Sometimes I'll throw in a blue pad. Works well for me and much cheaper.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-26-2009, 17:09
I have a HH ultralite Backpacker with a full zipper modification by the zipper queen I also had the opening in the bottom stitched closed check out the Jack's R better underquilts they work well for me also you may want to get a bigger rain fly I have a McCat with self tensioners I use a nightlite pad and an overquilt amd a black friar bag. I rig the hammock straps with O rings which makes it easy to hang quickly

Fiddleback
03-26-2009, 20:13
I always suggest newbies start off 'simple and cheap'. Test out the easy, inexpensive techniques first and upgrade if needed.

I have the same hammock and I found from the beginning that a ¼" pad was sufficient, with my sleep system, for the mid- to low-20's. The italics are important...everyone sleeps differently and every sleep system must match the individual and the weather and climate conditions faced on the trail. Backyard experiments are your friend!:)

I think it was Sgt Rock's site that first pointed me to the Oware pad. It is CCF, and 40" X 60". There are similar pads by Gossamer and others, I think. The pad slips very, very little which I attribute somewhat to its foam type but mostly to its size...there isn't much space for it to slip in.:) The extra width also provides some insulation and wind block around the shoulders. The current Oware pad is 3/16" thick. Two important qualities? It weighs 6oz and runs in the mid-$20's. That's a lot of insulation for the weight and price!

Pads like these are a low initial investment and easy to work with. I think they're a good starting point and, personally, I've never had to move on to something else.

And the pad is always there just in case you run out of trees...;)

FB

Bootstrap
03-26-2009, 20:36
I have a HH UL backpacker A-sym and, after seeing the prices on the various underquilts, I went out and bought a cheap basic hammock and pulled a sleeping bag up around it for warmth. Insulation over and under and easier to get into and out of than a HH. I also bought an ENO bug net to wear over the whole package when the bugs came out. It weighs a little more than the HH, but is more user friendly.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/237103382ByZIeG

What's the temperature rating on the sleeping bag you use for this?

Jonathan

Tinker
03-26-2009, 22:03
What's the temperature rating on the sleeping bag you use for this?

Jonathan

I have a Golite Feather-lite medium long bag which is rated at 40 degrees. The bag in the picture is a Marmot semi-rectangular bag I bought at Sierra Trading Post 5 years ago. It was called the Sierra, coincidentally (maybe not). It was bulkier and a pound heavier. The secret to getting the system to work well is to have a bag that isn't much bigger around than you are. Otherwise there will be cold spots where the bag hangs below you (you must heat the insulation in the bag with your body in close contact with it for best results). On the Feb. 09 Parade of Fools I slept with this combination (minus the bug net) in 10 degree temps. I had on a light Polarguard jacket from Golite, long polypro underwear, nylon hiking pants, and wool socks. I slept with a hot water bottle in a "hammock tent" (10x12 tarp pitched to ground with ends closed off). Only my toes and butt got cold, and at that, just a little.
The water bottle was the real secret.
Pictures of the setup can be found in the Whiteblaze Gallery using search words Parade of Fools.

This is probably the best picture available here.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21641&catid=searchresults&searchid=22804
I have some good ones on my camera but haven't added them to the gallery yet.

jpanderson80
03-27-2009, 11:35
I've read several hangers mention that with CCF pads, they sweat or get damp from the lack of evaopration off ones back. Is this ever a problem for you? If so, how do you handle it?

SteveJ
03-27-2009, 12:00
I've read several hangers mention that with CCF pads, they sweat or get damp from the lack of evaopration off ones back. Is this ever a problem for you? If so, how do you handle it?

I usually don't notice it, and have never noticed it when laying in the hammock. I always sleep in at least a poly t-shirt, so this may make a difference.... A couple of times, I've noticed that my back was sweaty after I got up in the morning, but it didn't bother me.....

Cannibal
03-27-2009, 12:25
I usually don't notice it, and have never noticed it when laying in the hammock. I always sleep in at least a poly t-shirt, so this may make a difference.... A couple of times, I've noticed that my back was sweaty after I got up in the morning, but it didn't bother me.....
A piece of nylon sewn onto the top of the pad seems to help wick away some of the moisture too. When I used a Speer SPE the first time I noticed a big difference in the amount of dampness the next morning. Still had some, but it wasn't as bad. Combine that with a good base layer for sleeping and most are good to go! UQ are still much more comfortable IMO.