PDA

View Full Version : 4 State Challenge?

beatbox
05-28-2004, 13:38
Myself and a fellow hiker have been wondering...what exactly is the 4 state challenge? I'm currently thru-hiking and in Troutville VA. One person told me it is from the last shelter in VA to the first in PA in 2 days (aprox 67 miles). Another said it is from The VA/WV border to the MD/PA border in 2 days (aprox 58 miles). Another said it was the same 58 miles in one day. Frankly I am going to try to hike Maryland in a day after I zero at home near Annapolis, but I would like to know EXACTLY what the challenge is (if their is such an exact thing), since a large number of us current thru-hikers do not know. Thank You, Beatbox.

hungryhowie
05-28-2004, 14:04
VA to PA (or the other way around) in 24 hours or fewer...at least that's what it was when I thruhiked. I don't remember anything about shelters...but a lot of people go from the last road in VA to the first road in PA simply because they slackpack this stretch (for the challenge) and need to be picked up at the end of the day. It's quite a few miles and I certainly didn't do it, but if you choose to, good luck and godspeed to you!

Enjoy.

-Howie

Grimace
05-28-2004, 14:15
The Maryland Challebge was all of MD in a day. It was 41 miles and change in 2001. The challenge is to be in 4 states in the same day so for the 4 state challenge you'd have to tack on WVA. It took us 15 hours to hike the 41 miles of MD.

Have fun if you can call it that.

Skyline
05-28-2004, 16:50
The four-state challenge could technically begin just south of the Loudon Hts. Trail/A.T. junction before you come down to the Shenandoah River across from Harpers Ferry. It could end just north of the Mason-Dixon line. That would allow a NOBO to touch feet in VA, WV, MD, and PA all in one day.

But unless you're planning to camp right by the southern and northern termini of this scenario, you will likely be hiking quite a bit further from/to either a shelter or campsite that has nearby water, or from/to road crossings.

Brushy Sage
05-28-2004, 18:03
As a former resident hiker and still ambassador of the Maryland AT, I'm hoping more people will take time to experience that section rather than zooming through. Overlook the historic Potomac River from Calverton Cliffs; see the War Correspondents Memorial and the museum at Gathland State Park; take a shower and relax at the Dahlgren Back Pack Campground, and even better pitch a tent there and walk up to the Old South Mountain Inn for a delicious meal (this is Turner's Gap, and you are in the heart of a Civil War battleground); climb up into the monument and view the historic Middletown Valley from Washington Monument State Park; stop in at Annapolis Rock campground and spend the night or sit for a while on the rock cliff and watch a hawk soar by; and at Pen Mar Park, take time to dance or enjoy the music if you are fortunate enough to catch the band in performance. This is just a reminder that there's more to the Maryland AT than most people realize.

hungryhowie
05-28-2004, 23:35
I'm hoping more people will take time to experience that section rather than zooming through.

Absolutely. I hiked out of Harpers Ferry with a faster hiker and we hiked up to Dalgrhen (sp) Backpack campground for the night. There was a group of teenagers there cooking out for the night...so we loaded up on trail magic. The next day, he said he was planning on going several miles into PA, and eventhough I liked hiking with him, it was too hot and humid for me to want to push myself those kinds of miles. I hiked about 12 miles, stayed at the Cornwall shelter, and about 20 minutes after I arrived a fellow sat down at the picnic table and asked if I liked stir fry. Enormous trail magic (two nights in a row!). The next day, I hiked over to High Rocks and caught some hangliders setting up and taking off, and then had a relaxing afternoon in Pen Mar Park. It really was a fabulous state and I'm glad I took my time!

-Howie

Boo Boo
06-02-2004, 13:43
I'm currently hiking with Beatbox, and he posted this question on the forum for me because there was some debate what the four state challenge was. I am planning on doing the challenge with a friend of mine, but planning on doing the section again at a slower pace to enjoy it. I'm glad you took your time when you went through it, but you also "hiked your own hike", a much overused statement.

hikerltwt
06-02-2004, 15:58
The group I hiked with in 2003 ended up being named the smell the roses crew because we hiked fairly short days by thru hiker standards and enjoyed the entire trail. I highly reccomed trying what we dubbed the Maryland Counter Challenge in response to the Marland Challenge. Our challenge was to take as long as possible to get through Maryland. We took six days, hope some one beats the record this year! :-)

Yo-YO

wilconow
06-02-2004, 17:04
Overlook the historic Potomac River from Calverton Cliffs;

i think you mean weverton cliffs..

hungryhowie
06-02-2004, 18:32
I'm glad you took your time when you went through it, but you also "hiked your own hike", a much overused statement.

If you're replying to me you're just preaching to the choir. I don't care how you hike the trail (or if you even hike it). I want everyone to find what they want...whatever is included in that is up to them.

I wasn't saying 'stop and smell the roses.' I was just saying that I stopped and smelled the roses, and that I had an enjoyable time. Have fun on your hike!

-Howie