PDA

View Full Version : So this is me less than 36hrs from springer

ryanwheeler007
03-26-2009, 03:36
And I'm driving myself nuts... Springer fever has given way to FEAR... And it has nothing to do with hiking! The reality of leaving and pausing life for 5 months is getting to me. Not so much a home sickness precurser as a feeling of "wasting" time... I know I'll get over it the second my foot hits dirt but for now it sucks. I guess I'll empty my pack and check everything, again... Uggghhh, it's just walking, ***... :(

ryanwheeler007
03-26-2009, 03:37
w t f is considered **** material? ***?

omegaman13
03-26-2009, 04:46
Chillax, there you go I gave you a trail name too. That's what you get for being a spaz.

"Wasting time" is working 9-5 from the ages of 22-70. 6-8 months to get a glimpse of God is a minor inconvenience to those that strive their whole lives to do the same and find nothing.

mweinstone
03-26-2009, 06:17
oh my god! this is such a cool thread! omegaman you sound like me. nice post. yo bond dude, listen up. are you a hiker? i mean with exsperience? or newby? dosnt matter one iotta just wondering somthing. may i join you. i may declare an emergency thruhike today after work. it just came to me. whats the ride to gods bog toe lookin like. smelly? or you got room for a b#o##b^&%er?

TOW
03-26-2009, 06:49
oh my god! this is such a cool thread! omegaman you sound like me. nice post. yo bond dude, listen up. are you a hiker? i mean with exsperience? or newby? dosnt matter one iotta just wondering somthing. may i join you. i may declare an emergency thruhike today after work. it just came to me. whats the ride to gods bog toe lookin like. smelly? or you got room for a b#o##b^&%er?
sounds like matty is about to make you an icon........

omegaman13
03-26-2009, 07:22

You're going to have to speak louder, I can't hear you all the way up in your ivory tower.

bigcranky
03-26-2009, 07:39
I know I'll get over it the second my foot hits dirt but for now it sucks.

Actually, this sort of feeling will likely come back during your hike. Along with plenty of other negative feelings. It's helpful to figure out how to deal with it in advance. If you haven't already done so, you might want to create a mental list of the reasons why you are thru-hiking so you can hold up that list on the bad days and understand why you are out there.

I like the thru-hiking papers (http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html), especially the "reality (http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20reality.html)" page.

And then don't worry about it. You (presumably) have good reasons for doing this hike, and you will be successful. Have a great hike.

Spogatz
03-26-2009, 07:59
Do something constructive such as get a Colonoscopy...that will take your mind off the trail for a little while...

ryanwheeler007
03-26-2009, 10:02
Yup that's it!!! Note to self - sleep - I feel much better about everything... The list is a good idea and mattewski you should def declare an emergancy thru hike! When do you want to leave? I'm sure I can get the bus driver to wait at least an hour or two : ) This is my first thru but I've section hiked for a long time... I get on a bus at 3 or so... Just wanted to thank everyone around here for awnsering my questions! And helping to keep my pack weight under 40 lbs (Food and water included)

RITBlake
03-26-2009, 10:12
And I'm driving myself nuts... Springer fever has given way to FEAR... And it has nothing to do with hiking! The reality of leaving and pausing life for 5 months is getting to me. Not so much a home sickness precurser as a feeling of "wasting" time... I know I'll get over it the second my foot hits dirt but for now it sucks. I guess I'll empty my pack and check everything, again... Uggghhh, it's just walking, ***... :(

Totally natural feeling, nothing unusual or uncommon. Just know that 5 months from now I can guarantee you won't look back and think of your thru hike as a 'wasting time.'

shoe
03-27-2009, 00:35
Actually, this sort of feeling will likely come back during your hike. Along with plenty of other negative feelings. It's helpful to figure out how to deal with it in advance. If you haven't already done so, you might want to create a mental list of the reasons why you are thru-hiking so you can hold up that list on the bad days and understand why you are out there.

I like the thru-hiking papers (http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20top.html), especially the "reality (http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20reality.html)" page.

And then don't worry about it. You (presumably) have good reasons for doing this hike, and you will be successful. Have a great hike.

Thanks for sharing that link. I don't recall ever reading it.

Glebbber
03-27-2009, 10:27

I know the feeling. That feeling has kept me from doing a few things in my life. Then one night I was talking to a friend who was in a similar "stage" of his life as I was in mine, he was some what older than myself and I had sort of an epiphany. I thought: wow, after X amount of time, not much will change.

In other words 6 months is not really a long time, any little ones you know wont even grow too much; while the experience is priceless.

Lyle
03-27-2009, 11:46

While the hiking part is "just walking" a Thru Hike is much more. The experience is definitely worth it and something that you should not hesitate experiencing. It is in no way "wasting time" so get that notion out of your head. It probably won't take too long for you to realize that.

If you ask me, working 50 weeks a year, just to "fit in" to what society expects is the ultimate waste of time. Work to live, don't live to work!!!