PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Pounder 40

anacondatm
03-26-2009, 10:33
Hey - I live in Montreal, Canada.

I was looking into getting a Marmot Pounder 40 for basically May - September. I was just wondering if anyone would recommend getting a warmer bag? I tend to sleep warm.

Bucky Katt
03-26-2009, 11:23
I don't have any personal experience with the Marmot Pounder 40, but I believe this is one I was looking at previously. I have been told that it is more of a summer bag and that you should add ten degrees to the bag...for instance, if it says it is good down to 40, use it down to 50 degrees. However, I have the Marmot Helium 15 degree down bag and have used it down to its temp. ratings and was warm, so I dunno.

I'm also not familar with the climate in Canada, but from what I've been told about the weather up there..its cooler than in VA? I think I'd go with a warmer bag personally. I have a 25 degree bag that I bought as my "three season bag". Its been very versatile. If I could only have one bag, the 25 degree Cats Meow by TNF would keep me warm in most situations that I'd face in the South...though I realize its overkill for the warmer months.

Good Luck finding the right bag. Have you checked out Mountain Hardwear's UltraLamina 32?

tenbeer
03-26-2009, 11:23
If you tend to sleep warm, you will be fine with this bag. I have this bag, make sure you have a good sleeping pad, because it is only insulated on one side to save weight.

Kerosene
03-26-2009, 11:52
I'd probably go with a slightly warmer bag, at least for the months of May and September, and even June at altitude. However, you'll likely end up spending a lot more if it's important to stay around 16 ounces. I've had good luck with the Western Mountaineering HighLite (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=16) down to the freezing mark, but you have to snug it up tight.

Blissful
03-26-2009, 15:12
I used the Marmot pounder for my hike from late May until mid July on the trail - MD to CT. And I sleep cold. Then I switched to the Pounder plus from CT all the way to ME to mid Sept. Did fine but I also carried a liner just in case. Marmot makes great bags.

Pootz
03-26-2009, 15:35
Hey - I live in Montreal, Canada.

I was looking into getting a Marmot Pounder 40 for basically May - September. I was just wondering if anyone would recommend getting a warmer bag? I tend to sleep warm.

A friend of mine used the pounder on the At and it worked pretty good. He was kind of a cold sleeper and could have used more warmth during colder nights. So if you sleep on the warm side you should be ok.

My personal preference is a Western mountaineering caribou 35 degrees 1' 4 oz and has a full zipper. Cost is more than a pounder but worth every penny.