PDA

View Full Version : Gravel Springs Hut Shelter

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:07
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Gravel Springs Hut Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

ez-does-it
10-21-2002, 16:57
Last shelter in the Shenandoah Park going north bound.A good water source and good places for tenting out.There used to be a swing out front of the shelter but it has been removed very sad,it was a good way to relax after a long or short day.;)

Mini-Mosey
02-28-2003, 18:35
Well, in January of 2002 I hiked from Harmony Hollow to this hut. I kind of looked a little at the register and it mentioned rats, but I was hoping they wouldn't materialize(maybe they would be too cold to come out?!!) I was too tired to pitch a tent so finally got comfortable in my sleeping bag. THEN I heard a scratching in the wall next to me and felt something dash out!! I thought it went into my sleeping bag!!! I yelled so loud that they could have heard me in Front Royal, then high-tailed it out of there up to the first designated campsite, where I pitched my tent and took my stuff. But not before I heard what sounded like a CAT jumping onto the floor!! The next morning while more carefully reading the register, rata as large as 12-16 inches, I believe, were mentioned!! Now this past summer I took a day hike down there and it looked like the hut floor had been spruced up. Some people who stayed there later last year apparently didn't have problems, according to some register entries. However, the privy was locked and it looked (and smelled) like people had been doing their #2 business in back of the privy. Don't know the situation with that now.

BlackCloud
01-14-2005, 12:58
Stopped in while doing a boring day hike to find the shelter to be clean & in good condition. Twp privies, w/ at least one working just fine.

dgainesis
01-17-2005, 08:47
Is there a reliable spring at this hut, I should be passing through there on the first week of May 2005.

neo
01-17-2005, 14:24
i have a picture in my gallery on white blaze of gravel springs and a couple other section hiker in front. diva and stryder,diver is a definate trail babe,i did a 30 miler that night got there 1:30 in the morning,when i woke up i rolled over and could not believe what i saw,i put my glasses on to be sure,diva was putting on make up before she got out of her sleeping bag,she is from virginia,i guess that were she got her trail name,diva does the make up thing before she hit the trail
:sun neo

sellis
04-24-2006, 01:49
Stayed at Gravel Springs Hut Friday, April 20,2006. We planned to tent, but the ran drove us into the shelter. The sound of rain on the roof drowned out any noise from scampering mice, however, one ran over my hair. Otherwise, the hut is in good shape and pleasant. There are two prives. I only used the one on the left, but it was in good condition.

TACKLE
04-24-2006, 02:37
Stayed there early August 05.Really nice spring just a few yards away.As we were fixing dinner we kept hearing some noises down the gulch in front of the shelter.Turned out to be a bear,flipping rocks over to get at grub.I guess it filled up on grub,cause it never bothered us that night.
I found that all the shelters run by PATC (from SNP to Pine Grove State Park in Pa) were very well maintained.

dovecote
10-01-2009, 14:07
Stayed there the night of 9/29/09. Well maintained with only one privy now. Water from spring close to shelter running somewhat slow but will quickly fill your water bottle when dipping into a small pool. No sign of mice and no sightings of bear although the journal mentiioned some have been sighted previously. The shelter is close to Skyline Drive so expect possible late arrivers and ranger visits.

VSOP
10-06-2010, 06:36
Stayed at Gravel Springs the night of 9/25/10 after hike from Pass Mtn. Despite drought conditions the spring was running but output was limited. Beside Elkwallow this was the only place to get water in that stretch of the AT. Like an African watering hole it drew a lot of hikers. Shelter had been maintained but was full. Had an encounter with two cubs and mama about 0115 9/26/10. We shooed them away and went back to sleep. Hopefully the rain that came in the following days helped revive other springs.

Helios
10-27-2010, 02:58
Stayed here on 10/23 - spring was running well. There's a bear family that plays around up on the hill above in the middle of the night. They didn't come down and bother us at the shelter though. I only knew of them as a hiker coming in at 10pm encountered them, and the registry makes note of them being there.

I got up before sunrise and enjoyed watching it come up over the valley in front of the shelter. Excellent spot for such a viewing!

Tim Causa
09-09-2013, 10:51
Stayed here 9/7/2013. Surprisingly, we had it to ourselves. Great location but not the best tent sites. There is a clearing by the entrance road to the shelter but it's gravely and rocky and hard to stake out. Up the hill, far up the hill, there are some tent sites and an additional bear bag pole but apparently those sites are rocky as well. This location is much more conducive to hanging. Spring was solid, with good flow.

Kaptainkriz
05-01-2017, 19:55
Stayed here this past weekend. The place was mobbed with just about every space anyone could squeeze into occupied. Got a big surprise when I was sitting up against the front support beam and accidentally banged my head on it. A "zillion" flying carpenter ants came piling out all over my head! Beware of the ANTS! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIoExnvftaA

PGH1NC
08-09-2017, 21:20
Camped there last week. Spring was running. There are several tent sites, with a slight slant. There were more in tents than in the shelter. The short trails to the sites were rocky, but this is the mountains.

Praha4
08-10-2017, 10:17
had it all to myself last October one night on a section hike
spring was running fine,
several other SoBo thru hikers and some section hikers were there tenting and hammocking

ldsailor
08-10-2017, 13:54
I stayed there June 10th of this year. It was crowded so I pitched a tent but fixed and ate dinner at the hut. It's a typical hut - holds about 8, nothing special. A water source is not far from the shelter. I will caution you about bears. We had a couple visit us; although they maintained their distance. No idea what happened later that night when it was dark. The log noted there had been bear sightings at the hut before. Be sure to hang your food!