PDA

View Full Version : Help Packing Clothes

hikingbear
03-26-2009, 18:03
April 6th I will be doing the thirty so miles from Springer to Neels Gap. I hope to do it in three or four nights (is that reasonable?). Here are my clothes.....

long underwear (top and bottoms)
2 pair underwear
sports bra
2 wool hiking sock
1 sock liner
light weight fleece pants
light weight fleece jacket
convertible pants/shorts
wicking short sleeve shirt

I am thinking I am all set while hiking. Just wondering if I need anything heavier while at camp. Not to sure of the weather that time of year.

Thanks for all the help!

SGT Rock
03-26-2009, 18:06
Looks good. Normally I would be on the fence about the fleece at that time of year. You may also want a warm hat and gloves for camp at night. You also didn't mention rain gear - cold april showers may mean you want jacket and pants.

bigcranky
03-26-2009, 18:22
I would bring the fleece, top and bottom (she's from Florida, Rock...:)) It can get cold in early April, but the average temps are pleasant. You should be fine (but bring the hat and gloves too.) If you have a light down vest you could throw in your pack, that might be good.

Three nights to Neels Gap from Springer is fine. Take your time and enjoy it. Hit Hawk Mountain the first night, then Gooch Mountain the second night, Woods Hole the third night, then half a day over Blood Mtn to Neels Gap. (This is assuming you won't hike the approach trail. Add a day for that.) These are very realistic goals for a first time AT hiker.

hikingbear
03-26-2009, 18:31
I did forget to mention I do have a rain jacket but am leaving the pants behind (what do you think about that?) and fleece hat and gloves.

Thanks!

SGT Rock
03-26-2009, 18:39
In april - take rain pants. Cold wet rain is a bad way to be hiking, or in camp. Staying dry is half the battle in staying warm.

hikingbear
03-26-2009, 18:41
Thanks!

In april - take rain pants. Cold wet rain is a bad way to be hiking, or in camp. Staying dry is half the battle in staying warm.

bigcranky
03-26-2009, 19:26
Agreed. I've had 40-degrees and raining sideways in April. And May. And June. Rain pants are a good idea.

Blissful
03-26-2009, 19:49
I'd bring a down jacket. hat and gloves, but you can check the weather ahead of time to see if you need an outer jacket. It's been cold here though last few days.

Wise Old Owl
03-26-2009, 20:31
I am surprised - Blisfull you have a good command of what you need. Its all up to your hike now.