PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in Michigan

KevinR
03-26-2009, 21:39
Four friends and I are looking to do a hike this summer. We're planning for about 100 miles or a little more with ten hiking days (or so) and two days or so of base camping (maybe on a lake for fishing?). Anyhow, my friends haven't hiked before, so I want to try to keep it simple and avoid heavy bear country where a lot of extra precautions would have to be taken. Any suggestions?

Thanks a ton

I've been in Scouts since I was little and hiked at Philmont a couple years back, if that helps at all :)

sheepdog
03-26-2009, 21:45
Try Isle Royal. One of the best hikes anywhere. Moose, wolves, no bears, lots of fishing.

Blade
03-26-2009, 22:26
I'll second Isle Royale! Enter either at Rock Harbor or Wendigo, follow the Greenstone one way, go back on the Minong. There are some other great trails, plus options with jumping around the coast via the Voyageur or water taxi. Check out the Isle Royale forums (http://www.isleroyaleforums.com/) for more info.

Another Michigan option is the Porcupine mountains in the Keweenaw ... haven't been there yet myself, but they have a good reputation.

Lyle
03-26-2009, 22:41
The Porkies are south of the Keweenaw, but a good place to hike. Lots of ticks.

One suggestion would be the NCT from St. Ignace north through Tequaminon Falls State Park, then on through Pictured Rocks.

The trail through Pictured Rocks is 40 fantastic miles for a first backpacking adventure. Easy trail, very scenic. I haven't hiked all of the NCT from St. Ignace through Tequaminon, but have heard very good things about it, a lot of work has been done on it over the past few years.

Isle Royale is also GREAT, but not a convenient spot for bailing if the new hikers aren't impressed.

WalkingStick75
03-26-2009, 22:53
From the Lansing area it is 600 + miles to Isle Royal, Miles from IN?? Isle Royal and the area have some great hiking but a lot closer to go East, Like on the AT or one of many other trails.

KevinR
03-26-2009, 22:53
I just got done reading through some web pages about Royal Isle. The other guys threw around doing a section on the AT in Vermont and New Hampshire, but I think this will be a lot more manageable. They're pretty set on toughing it out. The island concept sounds pretty cool too. Thanks a ton for the input, any more is really appreciated. I'm sure I'll be back here soon to go over packing, itinerary, etc.

Kevin

Slosteppin
03-28-2009, 11:55
I agree that Isle Royale is a great place to hike and there are no bears. The Greenstone Ridge trail is an easy hike nearly the length of the island. The Minong Ridge trail can be a little tricky especially if it is raining. the big rocks can get very slippery.

I have heard that bears can be a problem in the Porkies but I have no experience there.

I have 2 other suggestions: The Highcountry Pathway east of Vanderbilt is about a 70 mile loop. Navigation can be tricky since the trail isn't used or maintained much.

The North Country Trail through the Manistee National forest would be closer and easier. There are bears but I backpack and hike there frequently and I've never seen one. I always hang my food so there is no temptation. You could make a hike any length up to about 125 miles. There are several lakes with good fishing and a few rivers. I think his would be a better first hike. Our new section around the Hodenpyl Dam backwaters would be a great place to finish a hike. The motel in Mesick might arrange shuttle and or parking.

Slosteppin

BugGirl
03-29-2009, 21:37
The Porkies is a great place to take a newbie - its where I did my first week long backpacking trip! All sorts of scenary.

NCT in the Manistee is some great easy hiking and has easy access spots along the way.

conmcb25
04-09-2009, 10:30
Ive Backpacked Isle Royale, The Porkies, and Pictured Rocks.

Pictured Rocks-Easier
Porkies-More challenging
Isle Royal-even a bit more challenging.

Thats all my humble opinion :)

The nice thing about Isle Royale and the Porkies is they have loops to one location so only one car would be theoretically needed. For Pictured Rocks, you would need a car on each end.

Good luck. Im trying the Manistee River trail/ NCT loop this summer in the Manistee National Forest with the 14 yr old. Thats only about a 20 mile loop however.

Lyle
04-09-2009, 11:43
The nice thing about Isle Royale and the Porkies is they have loops to one location so only one car would be theoretically needed. For Pictured Rocks, you would need a car on each end.

I do believe that the county still operates a shuttle bus on a daily basis. Will pick you up or drop you off at most any accessible point along the trail. Last time I used it (several years ago) it was $10/person - great value. I always like to park, catch the shuttle to my starting point, then hike back to my car.

conmcb25
04-09-2009, 14:32
I do believe that the county still operates a shuttle bus on a daily basis. Will pick you up or drop you off at most any accessible point along the trail. Last time I used it (several years ago) it was $10/person - great value. I always like to park, catch the shuttle to my starting point, then hike back to my car.

Thats great to know, its been 15 years or more since Ive hiked Pictured Rocks, not sure if this is new or not but Im glad I know about this now. I wanted to take the 14 yr old there but hesitated unless we had another adult with a car (which is what I did the last time). This IS good news, and 10 bucks is definately cheap!

Do you have a linky for information by any chance? Thanks!:D

Lyle
04-09-2009, 15:12
Here you go. Looks like the price has gone up to $20/person. It's been in operation for many years, since the 70's actually. It's a great option.

http://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/publictransportation.htm

conmcb25
04-09-2009, 18:11
Here you go. Looks like the price has gone up to $20/person. It's been in operation for many years, since the 70's actually. It's a great option.

http://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/publictransportation.htm

Well i sure feel dumb now :D

Thanks for the info, I may have to rethink my summer trip with the 14 yr old.:banana

Turbo
04-09-2009, 18:39
I have 2 other suggestions: The Highcountry Pathway east of Vanderbilt is about a 70 mile loop. Navigation can be tricky since the trail isn't used or maintained much.

The North Country Trail through the Manistee National forest would be closer and easier. There are bears but I backpack and hike there frequently and I've never seen one. I always hang my food so there is no temptation. You could make a hike any length up to about 125 miles. There are several lakes with good fishing and a few rivers. I think his would be a better first hike. Our new section around the Hodenpyl Dam backwaters would be a great place to finish a hike. The motel in Mesick might arrange shuttle and or parking.

Slosteppin

I'm sure that Isle Royal and other areas in the Upper Peninsula are fantastic, but if your looking for something closer, I agree with Slosteppin that these trails are worth looking into, especially the North Country Trail through Manistee. Hope the hike goes well and that you all have a good time.

puddingboy
04-10-2009, 17:21
I would take my friends on an overnight or two overnight hike before going on the big trip.

cmcdonal2001
06-03-2009, 13:24
Detroit to Flint is about 100 miles. Easy trail, right along I-75 shoulder, and no bears!

Actually, I vote Isle Royale. It's a bit of a pain to get to (driving across the UP is scenic, but LONG), but well worth a trip out there.

CowHead
06-03-2009, 14:36
Wife and I also did some of the Isle Royal for more information go here http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=8288