PDA

View Full Version : Platypus Vs. Camelback

Speakeasy
03-26-2009, 21:50
I'm working on what to carry my water in and how much. Based on what I've been reading I'm thinking a couple of gatorade bottles for drinking and a bladder for cooking. Is one better than the other?

Manwich
03-26-2009, 21:54
Both have their pros and cons. Older Platys were considered weaker and more subject to damage... these days, if you puncture them, you can seal a pinhole leak with a single piece of duct tape.

Camelbacks are easier to clean because of their wide opening.

Platys are lighter and cheaper.

sheepdog
03-26-2009, 21:56
I vote for camelbak easy to clean and durable

Blissful
03-26-2009, 22:21
My playtpus developed a leak at the spout - it was the older model, I sent it back to them and they sent me a beautiful replacement of their new model under their guarantee after I told them what happened.

My son used a Camelback he got at a yard sale - a military one actually, with no problems the entire hike. The only problems I have witnessed several times on the trail was MSR dromedary bags(sp?). Many had leaking problems with them.

So either one should suit you fine.

theinfamousj
03-26-2009, 22:36
I come from a house divided. I'm in love with Platys in all volumes. I have a tube/bite valve kit that can hook up to any size bladder (I hook it up to my 1L mostly) that turns it in to a hydration kit. You can even keep the opening to the sky because you compress the bladder as you sip and water is easy to drink. I just got a 3L + big zip because I like new toys!

On the other hand, the boyfriend is a total CamelBak fan because he still has his Army issued ones lying around. (And why fix what isn't broken?)

I also have a 96 oz Nalgene Cantene.

I've heard that the CamelBaks have a plasticy taste when new. I cannot speak to this because DP's are well used and so do not have the taste anymore. I can speak from experience to say that Platys and the Nalgene Cantenes do not have a plasticy taste.

I say that this is a case of brand loyalty. Bring whatever is cheapest. You'll find that every brand has its defenders.

Also, Backpacking Light has its own brand ... just to confuse you further.

garlic08
03-26-2009, 22:52
Platys have always worked fine for me for a long hike, and they're lighter and cheaper. On the AT I carried one 1 L Aquafina bottle and one 2 L platy, and hardly ever used the platy (wet year).

Medic!
03-27-2009, 06:49
I'm using a BlackHawk HydraStorm 100 oz hydration sytem, and it seems to be as durable if not more so than the camelback (haven't used a platys, so can't comment), and supposedly inhibits microbial growth. The brand tends to get pricey because they're designed for LE and military use, so the prices are in the gouge the government range. I managed to get mine at a steep discount at Streicher's annual sale a year or two back.

mtnkngxt
03-27-2009, 08:05
I carry 1 gatorade bottle, a 1liter platy, and a 2 liter platy for camp water. I hardly ever even make it to the 1 liter.

bigcranky
03-27-2009, 13:04
My daughter loves sucking on the Platypus tube. Me, not so much. I use 1-liter Aqua Fina bottle, only $1.29 and they come pre-loaded with fine water. And they last for years and years on the trail. Gatorade bottles work well too.

I do carry a Platypus Water Tank to collect and treat water from springs and creeks.

mikec
03-27-2009, 14:21
I'm a Camelback man. I hiking buddy of mine had a Platy and the tube would constantly loosen up and fall off, effectively draining the Platy.

The Will
03-28-2009, 21:05
Platys stand up, can be boiled or frozen, easily compress to the volume of water currently therein (no sloshing), make a fair pillow when covered with a jacket, roll up and disappear when empty.

medicjimr
03-29-2009, 00:03
just got a camelbak unibottle 100 oz came yesterday from campmor will have to review it next trip sturdy design from what I can tell.

SGT Rock
03-29-2009, 00:25
1 gatorade bottle and one 80 ounce platy.

Wags
03-29-2009, 01:10
i like the 'big zip' design of the platypus over the oval sometimes tough to twist off thingy of camelbak

Speakeasy
03-29-2009, 11:33
:rolleyes:Thank you all for the information. I don't think my dream of hiking the AT could come even close to fruition without this website. It is informative as well as entertaining...

UnkaJesse
03-29-2009, 11:46
The only problems I have witnessed several times on the trail was MSR dromedary bags(sp?). Many had leaking problems with them.

I'm surprised to hear this. Mtn Xings recommended the MSR bladders to me a few years back, saying that they had switched to recommending these to thru-hikers because of durability. I've used mine a bunch over the probably four years I've had it with no trouble and a huge improvement over my Camelbaks.

I'm still a big fan of both, but here's how it breaks down for me....

Camelbaks are weepy around the big seal, but the huge opening is nice for getting ice in. Plus, the bite valves drip a little. I'll run Gatorade through a Camelbak as it's easier to clean. Ideal use for me is mountain biking.

MSR is totally sealed. Connections come apart & go back together better, thus direct hookup to my filter is a big plus. Fabric covered bag seems to dry condensation better, thus drier stuff in my pack. Opaque bag & bite valve allows me to maintain near total ignorance of resident Sea Monkeys. Ideal use is hiking. I restrict my MSR to "high quality H2O".

SGT Rock
03-29-2009, 16:18
I've not used MSR. I've run into the Camel Bak seal issue numerous times. If you don't get the cap on there just right...

Platy - you can puncture them easier than the Camel Bak. I've also had one start a minor leak around the top. But I kept bourbon in there, so as I understand it that voids the warranty.

Evil Eye
03-30-2009, 10:41
Another endorsement of MSR - Dromedary/Hydromedary models. One has a permanent hose connection from the bag, other does not - but you can get a replacement cap with a hose connection.

No leak issue during '07 thru or since - have replaced the hose once and mouthpiece twice due to "trail crud." Fabric is very durable vs clear plastic, no seal issues,

For those Osprey Atmos/Aura pack users - I hung mine in the air space between pack and netting - perfect. Would treat with my SteriPen in a nalgene - then pour into Hydromedary.

handlebar
03-30-2009, 20:49
I carried the same MSR Dromlite on both my AT and PCT thrus. Lasted the whole way. Used the hydration kit that replaces the small cap. Still going strong. I also used Platypus 2+ liters for extra capacity on the PCT and found them to be less durable, but useful. Often filled the Platy at a spring or stream prior to heading for a dry camp. Found the capacity just right for dinner, overnight sipping, and enough left over to pour into the Dromlite when starting out in the AM.

DC2.2GSR
03-30-2009, 23:30
i just bought my first reservoir - a Camelbak OMEGA 100 oz - and i'm pretty happy with it. initially i was worried that i'd have problems and have to return it. the first time it was filled the water tasted really terrible. although that was kind of expected with a new plastic product, i was stil a bit worried that it wouldn't get much better. i dumped out the first 2 fills after letting each sit in the there for a few minutes and now it tastes fine.

the only other issue was with the cap. i filled the bladder to capacity, tightened the lid as tight as i was comfortable with, and tossed it in the pack. loaded the pack (which obviously put lots of squeeze on the bladder) and when i looked inside, everything was soaked. i re-checked the lid and it was on correctly and still tight. i figured out that it will not leak as long as you REALLY crank on it. each fill since then i've tightened the hell out of it and it has been great. perfectly sealed. it's pretty annoying having to muscle it each time you fill it, but it's not that bad. it's only a lid afterall :rolleyes:

that being said, my vote is for Camelbak, although i have no experience with any of the other brands.