PDA

View Full Version : James River to Rockfish Gap Timeframe

sasquatch2014
03-26-2009, 21:59
I was looking at the profiles and maps tonight and trying to get a read for a timeframe to complete this section. I have to be down this way near the end of May. Due to the time of year I will go NoBo on this section. Keeping in mind that I am section hiking and will not have "trail legs" what do most folks who know the section figure for a time frame to complete reasonably. I am not looking for a leisurely stroll in the woods but i also want to avoid a stroke if I can.

I did the section north of here this past fall and it was great. I got off at Rockfish so that is where I want to wrap back up. Also is it fairly straight forward drive to get tot he James River crossing area in a car from the Charlottesville area?

Blissful
03-26-2009, 22:10
Should be a great time of year to do that section with the rhododnedron and mtn laurel in bloom. There will be thru hikers coming through there at that time, so be sure you have a tent. And some good climbs in there too.

Do a mapquest from Charlottesville to James River for the best route. We've done it but I'd have to drag out my road atlas to look and Mapquest is just as good. Or I am really liking my GPS.

sasquatch2014
03-29-2009, 07:48
What do you figure for a time frame 5 days about right for section hiker?

Blissful
03-30-2009, 13:24
It's 77 miles. So figure on that , what you can do per day etc. There is a good climb from rt 60 if you are going SOBO. And of course, the three ridges area after Tye River. I might plan on six, just in case, but you could probably do it in 5.

DAKS
03-30-2009, 13:50
5-7 days prolly', so call it 6. good climb up to the ridgeline outta' the james river with a nice walk going NOBO toward the punchbowl shelter. big climb after hwy 60 after long mtn. wayside i think it is called? three ridges is a pretty strenuous climb too, but at least you will be coming down from "the priest" before you tackle them!!! after maupin field shelter/reeds gap it gets much easier and you can make good miles NOBO to rockfish gap! have a ball!!!

Lilred
03-30-2009, 13:59
I'll be starting at James River the end of May also, maybe I'll see you out there...

sasquatch2014
03-30-2009, 19:40
I'll be starting at James River the end of May also, maybe I'll see you out there...

That would be cool.

Kerosene
03-30-2009, 20:00
Took me a total of 6 days to section hike from Rockfish Gap to the James, split across two SOBO hikes and inclusive of a 22-mile day from Rockfish Gap to Maupin Field Shelter. Very nice hiking, all in all, although both of my hikes were in October.

Blissful
03-31-2009, 13:35
Very nice hiking, all in all, although both of my hikes were in October.

Oh, nice time of year to hike! That's when i want to go back and do that section.

sasquatch2014
03-31-2009, 14:43
I did the section from Front Royal south last fall about mid Sept and it was great right between the summer vacation group and the leaf peeper groups. Had a lot of the park to myself.

Rain Man
05-23-2009, 20:46
LilRed and I start at James River on Monday late afternoon or early evening, Memorial Day, heading NOBO. I have already done SNP, so am bailing out on her at Rockfish Gap. I am hoping we reach there next Monday afternoon/evening, so that's 7 days. Maybe more since LilRed doesn't have her conditioning yet.

Give either of us a shout if you'd like.

Rain:sunMan