PDA

View Full Version : Help With Powered Eggs

EverydayJourneyman
03-27-2009, 10:08
So I've been looking at different brands of powered eggs. Honeyville seems to appear across many websites.

Has anyone used Honeyville before or is there a brand they would recommend?

Thanks!

mister krabs
03-27-2009, 10:18
:banana:bananaThese have the most power I've ever seen.

http://www.techchee.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/smart-egg-lamp-121107-02.jpg

other than that, I've got nothing, never eaten powered eggs, I always bring regular ones.

EverydayJourneyman
03-27-2009, 10:21
powdered, oops. LOL. First post and all.

mister krabs
03-27-2009, 10:23
Just teasing, :sun

:welcome

EverydayJourneyman
03-27-2009, 10:25
No worries. Cursed lack of edit function.

I just want some powdered eggs.

sarbar
03-27-2009, 10:28
Ova brand, best I have used over the years!

Spogatz
03-27-2009, 10:39
I know some people love to take these on the trail but to me they are the devil....

Manwich
03-27-2009, 10:43
I know some people love to take these on the trail but to me they are the devil....

2nd. i could only tolerate powered eggs if i added ketchup to them... and since I cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup from my diet, it's tough to find packets of HFCS free catsup

Lone Wolf
03-27-2009, 10:47
just carry real eggs. they're easy to pack

EverydayJourneyman
03-27-2009, 10:50
2nd. i could only tolerate powered eggs if i added ketchup to them... and since I cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup from my diet, it's tough to find packets of HFCS free catsup

Not tasty then? Hmmm. I'm not a fan of HDCS either.

bruchko
03-27-2009, 10:59
i have used honeyville powdered eggs 4-5 times over last six months. They work great and taste really good. I usually put two eggs worth in a baggy, add salt and pepper and cheese powder (if desired). then add water and i put in boiling water for 4 minutes. makes a great omelette.

sarbar
03-27-2009, 14:28
Ketchup is fine in a pack...you can get it in organic varieties with no HFCS(ie...the old formula!). Ketchup is perfectly shelf stable, so repack it into a squeeze bottle!

buz
03-27-2009, 15:03
i have used the eggstore.com for powdered eggs. Good stuff, as compared to other earlier versions, but if I take eggs, i bring fresh ones and just use them up in first coupla days. The powdered ones are for baking recipes and other stuff, but they are good scrambled too.

jrwiesz
03-28-2009, 02:13
Another vote for taking real eggs.

Cohglan used to make carriers for 6 or 12 eggs; I believe they still do, but, couldn't find them at Campmor when I searched.

The weight of two 6 count carriers weigh less than one 12 count carrier, I have used both with great results. You can also, just use the cardboard carrier and place it in a Ziplock, in case there is breakage.

Can't beat eggs and bacon, breakfast/lunch/dinner.:sun

Jim Adams
03-28-2009, 03:29
use the powdered eggs for making french toast.

geek

Lone Wolf
03-28-2009, 03:33
use the powdered eggs for making french toast.

geek

where? at home? why?

vonfrick
03-28-2009, 09:56
i took powdered eggs last summer. measured them out, added nido and s&p and vac-sealed double servings for me and warrghy. added fresh cheese and sometimes spam while out. even brought along a teflon pan for that and pancakes. it wasn't the worst thing i ever had to eat, but this year i'll bring fresh eggs.

best thing about it was the smell wafting over to the other hikers who were havin' power bars for breakfast!! (i did share my bluberry pancakes with them on more than one occassion tho'. i'm not entirely evil)

Frick Frack
03-28-2009, 10:52
Don't do what my wife & I did. We thought you rehydrated the powder and ate it that way (w/o cooking) the 1st time....OMG....it was disgusting. We used the Honeyville and it was fine. Add some bacon bits & chives then hit it with a little Tabasco. I agree that real eggs can not be beat though....

sheepdog
03-28-2009, 18:39
Mountain House eggs are pretty good. I usually bring a pouch because sometimes I just can't look at another bowl of oatmeal.

Jim Adams
03-28-2009, 18:47
where? at home? why?
Just my opinion LW...I can't stand the taste of them any other way...and I like eggs!:D

geek

fehchet
03-28-2009, 20:44
There is one certainty about powdered eggs and that is: they taste like crap.

I was born in 1945. We ate a lot of powered eggs in the first post war years and I must say it was torture to get them down. So maybe I'm predigest.

juma
03-29-2009, 07:56
I have used them with ramen and they work ok. you can add them to anything that needs rehydration and they add some protein. I found though that the dried cheese is tastier and can be added to everything the same way. I've still got a 3/4 full can of eggs but just about used up a can of dried cheese.

juma

hoz
03-29-2009, 09:21
Modern freeze dried eggs do not taste like crap. They don't taste eggzactly like fresh eggs, but they ain't bad. Try some Mountain House Omelet and you'll be surprised.

CampGirl
03-30-2009, 09:52
I've tried two that are good. Both are up on Packit Gourmet.

Ova Easy – Made with just freeze-dried eggs, this one is definitely my first choice when it comes to powdered eggs. It’s the closest thing I’ve tasted to the real thing – in fact, I recently served these to a friend and they couldn’t tell the difference! Good on their own, I really like them with a little freeze-dried cheese tossed in or mixed with dehydrated bell peppers and tomatoes. Yum!

Sonstegard – This is more of a mix than Ova Easy as they’ve had milk, oil and salt added to them. These taste almost as good as the Ova Easy but (maybe due to the add ins?) they’re a little bit bulkier and heavier. A good option though and less expensive if you’re on a budget.

hootyhoo
03-31-2009, 19:48
powdered, oops. LOL. First post and all.
Yew wil nead thik scin ahround hear. Evin tipo's wil git blastid. Gud luk.

hootyhoo
03-31-2009, 19:54
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?langId=-1&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=egg

Another vote for taking real eggs.

Cohglan used to make carriers for 6 or 12 eggs; I believe they still do, but, couldn't find them at Campmor when I searched.

The weight of two 6 count carriers weigh less than one 12 count carrier, I have used both with great results. You can also, just use the cardboard carrier and place it in a Ziplock, in case there is breakage.

Can't beat eggs and bacon, breakfast/lunch/dinner.:sun

The 12 egg carrier weighs just over 6 ounces - and you can't eat it.

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2009, 20:36
Yew wil nead thik scin ahround hear. Evin tipo's wil git blastid. Gud luk.

HH don't take this personnally, thick skinned and all- I am guilty of this too...Don't operate any machinery... Dont take WB with alcohol.... Dont Drink & Post at the same time...... Step away from the keyboard.

Now back to help with powdered eggs - Where ever it calls for eggs use powdered eggs! If your trip is less than 7 days just take the real thing as fresh as you can get from a farm - egg carriers gererally suck eggs as they frequenty only take the small ones.... practice cooking in the kitchen on your backpacking stove before you go.

http://troop10.scouter.net/backpacking/Recipes_Take_2.pdf

EverydayJourneyman
04-02-2009, 20:36
Thanks for the tips everyone. Must say this is the friendliest forum I've ever visited.

Hope the hikers on the trail are as nice. :)

Jonauto
04-09-2009, 20:31
Has anyone other than me ever noticed that powered eggs are extremely flammable? Blow them into the fire and you get a really awesome fire ball! In my opinion that's the best use for powered eggs.

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2009, 21:13

I was born in 1945. We ate a lot of powered eggs in the first post war years and I must say it was torture to get them down. So maybe I'm predigest.

The whole idea is to take the powder and add it to other powdered ingredients, by itself, well that's on your watch. :D

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2009, 21:17
Has anyone other than me ever noticed that powered eggs are extremely flammable? Blow them into the fire and you get a really awesome fire ball! In my opinion that's the best use for powered eggs.

Way too much time on your hands, you need a new hobby,,, How about a new reality show "Extreme TV"....Cops, etc..

zoidfu
04-09-2009, 21:21
I made some backpacker pantry powdered eggs once. Scarred the hell out of my titan and had to visit the privy a half hour later.

Wise Old Owl
04-09-2009, 21:57

Mrs Baggins
04-13-2009, 12:08
Mountain House eggs are pretty good. I usually bring a pouch because sometimes I just can't look at another bowl of oatmeal.

My husband wanted to try powdered eggs and I didn't want to spend $20 or more on a canister of them if he didn't like them. Found a pouch of Mountain House powdered eggs at REI for about $12, contains the equivalent of 16 whole eggs. He can divide it up into ziplocks. He intends to add Spam to them when he cooks them.

LaurieAnn
05-05-2009, 09:43
The best powdered egg mix I have found to date is the Egg Mix from www.waltonfeed.com (http://www.waltonfeed.com) (it's not the whole powdered egg - that's for baking and such). With a little fry in clarified butter and some seasonings they actually taste pretty close to the real thing. They also make wicked french toast for the trail.

brooklynkayak
05-18-2009, 18:29
The best powdered eggs I've tried are the ones I dehydrated myself, but because they haven't been tweaked to have long shelf life, they probably won't keep much longer than fresh, but will be lighter.
I haven't tried Ova or Mountain House.
Most brands have been processed with chemicals to add to the shelf life and they can taste odd and have a weird texture.
The processed brands taste fine for baking and I use them for breads, french toast, sauces, soups....

lustreking
05-19-2009, 08:42
The best powdered eggs I've tried are the ones I dehydrated myself

How do you do them? Do you cook them and then dehydrate them, or do you just scramble them, dry them raw and then cook them on the trail?

Tinker
05-19-2009, 09:18

Prejudiced? Predigest may be fitting here. Any powdered eggs I've eaten taste like they may have been Pre-digested :eek::o.

World-Wide
05-19-2009, 09:35

Hooah on that! I think the powdered eggs that Fechet ate back around 1945 is the same powdered eggs I ate at basic training when I came into the service in 1990! :eek: Skip'em!

Dobie Swift
06-18-2011, 09:02
Ova brand, best I have used over the years!

Sarah,

While searching for new trail breakfasts I stumbled upon this thread. I did some Googling and found OvaEasy's website (http://www.nutriom.com/) and saw that Sportsman's Warehouse is listed as a retailer. I picked some up last night and just now had my first batch of scrambled eggs with it. WOW! They are remarkably good and are VERY MUCH like fresh scrambled eggs.

Sooo... though belated 2 years, THANKS!

sarbar
06-18-2011, 11:20
Glad to hear you can get them there now :) We have a SW a few miles away.

Rasty
07-25-2011, 19:47
Powdered eggs are not for making scrambled eggs. They are for adding surplus agricultural products into recipes during lean years or for baking. Worst food ever tried in my life. At work as a chef sometimes taste ingredients that have gone rotten when taste testing before we open. Love the taste of rotting tomatoes compared to powdered eggs.

Tipi Walter
07-25-2011, 23:06
The best powdered eggs I found are these:

http://www.summithut.com/img/6/128/C9F7/38972/650w.jpg
They are just eggs---nothing else. They are very light but require a stickless fry pan for ease of cooking---you can use a titanium pot but you'll be spending 30 minutes cleaning it.

I've been the whole "egg suitcase" route, both the six count and the twelve count, and they do work well but over time with all the jostling tend to crack the eggs with hairline cracks. And in the winter these same eggs will freeze solid and make prep difficult. In the winter though you have this option: Scramble up a dozen eggs at home and cool and put in a ziploc and into the freezer. On the day of departure put them in your food bag and go for it---hopefully your winter trip will be in cold conditions, if not, eat them up in the next couple days.