PDA

View Full Version : Compare Grayson Highlands/Damascus to Springer/Neel Gap

Hurin
03-27-2009, 13:44
Each summer my girls (2 daughters and niece) and I spend a long weekend backpacking. The last several years we started looking for interesting stretches of the AT…doing about 20-30 miles per trip. Last year we hiked Grayson Highlands to Damascus and it was by far the best backpacking experience we’ve had…awesome mountains, great town and very nice people at MRO. (As an aside, I got the idea for that trip from searching this site…thanks to everyone who recommended it.)

So, this year we are thinking about Springer to Neel Gap. I’m trying to figure out how many days we need for the trip, and I was hoping someone who has hiked both sections could give me an idea of the relative difficulty of the 2 sections. We did Grayson Highlands to Damascus in about 2.5 days. So, I was wondering if I need to plan on more, less or the same amount of time for this trip.

Thanks.

Blissful
03-27-2009, 14:49
You'll need at least three probably, if you start at the top Of Springer. Four if you include the Approach.
Some good sized hills and ups and downs there like Sassafrass Mtn. and Blood.

Personally I would hike 19E to Kincora or farther for the balds region and Watauga lake. Nice there. But it's up to you what you are wanting to see and do.

envirodiver
03-27-2009, 16:39
If you don't feel the need to touch the plaque at the top of Springer you can start in the parking lot 1-2 miles north of Springer. That also eliminates the approach trail.

Kirby
03-27-2009, 17:33
But you can also retrace the .9 mile to the top of Springer, as there's a simplistically powerful feel that comes with standing on that summit.

Kerosene
03-27-2009, 17:44
3 days from Springer (30 miles); 4 from Amicalola Lodge (39 miles).

Another alternative might be Neel Gap to Dicks Creek Gap (36 miles), which I thought was a nice section.

I attached a concise elevation chart for Georgia, prepared by one of our WhiteBlaze members.

UnkaJesse
03-27-2009, 17:50
I'd agree with the Neels to Dicks recommendation. IMHO, it's a much more scenic trail.
Ami -> Neels
->Southern terminus plaque
->Long Creek Falls
->Preaching Rock
->Blood summit

Neels -> Dicks
->Levelland mountain
->Extended southern views almost to Testnatee Gap
->Rocky Mountain
->Blue Mountain
->Tray Mountain
->Less crowded by far

I've never seen Grayson Highlands, though......

Frog
03-27-2009, 18:11
All of Ga is up and down some sections more than others. Any section in Ga will be a good hike. I just did the section from Neel gap to parking lot at springer. I did the other hike from Grayson to Damascus around 5 years ago. I enjoyed both hikes. I would suggest that you pick a section in Ga and keep coming back till you have hiked it all. It took me three years of just taking off a week at a time and doing a section. There are so many sections in that area that are great from springer to N O C.

bigcranky
03-27-2009, 19:27
Not as many views on the Springer > Neels section, at least in the summer, compared with Grayson Highlands.

Other good 20-30 mile sections in the South:

Hughes Gap north to US 19E in Tennessee, over Roan Mountain and the NC Balds.
Hughes Gap south to Erwin over Beauty Spot.
Davenport Gap north to Hot Springs over Max Patch.
Fontana Dam south to Nantahala Outdoor Center over Cheoah Bald
The Standing Indian Loop, in NC near Franklin

Kanati
03-27-2009, 22:35
You will like Springer to Neel. A little steeper than Grayson/Damascus but nothing you can't handle in 3 days/2 nights.

I agree that if you park at FS road 42 and hike south .9 miles to the actual southern terminus on Springer mountain, and then retrace your footsteps north you won't notice the extra mileage and you'll be glad you did instead of skipping it.

Happy hiking. :sun

max patch
03-27-2009, 22:49
Neels Gap.

Tennessee Viking
03-27-2009, 23:30
Only problem with the summer from Springer to Neels are tourist hikers. Lots of tourists.

Symbol
03-28-2009, 09:06
If you are going to Springer, missing the approach trail is no big deal... but missing the top of Springer is! (you should back track if you are starting norht fo the summit) There is a certain awesomeness that others have described about seeing that.

If you loved the Greyson Highlands you should consider doing the stretch south of 19-E so you can experience Roan Montain. The hike from the Nolichucky River to 19-E is a good one to consider although it may be a bit further than you want. It is 46 miles.

Symbol
03-28-2009, 09:08
Excuse the typos... no editing allowed on this site. (I'll remember to proofread before posting)