PDA

View Full Version : About my new filter...

hiker5
05-28-2004, 20:51
So I just got my new Katadyn Hiker microfilter from REI via USPS, and wanted to see how well it pumped. I pumped about a liter of tap water into an empty 1 gal water jug. I was a bit suprised to see that the water was a very dark gray (almost black). What did you all think? Is this normal? Weird?

Since the Hiker has an activated carbon core I'm thinking that it was simply some of the carbon that may have been jarred loose in transport. In any case, after pumping a couple liters appears to be clean. Now I'm just curious if others have had the same experience.

smokymtnsteve
05-28-2004, 20:54
I use a sweetwater but the same thing happpens...like you thought loose carbon.

RedneckRye
05-28-2004, 20:54
The first few liters pumped through a katadyn cartridge do indeed contain a bit of carbon. I think it even mentions this in the instructions. Nothing to worry about.

Alligator
05-28-2004, 20:57
Yes, I would say that is charcoal. My Sweetwater used to do that with new filters. I can't remember exactly if my PUR Hiker (same thing, company name change) did that. I used to take the hose off my sweetwater because the charcoal would stain the tubing. It eventually lightened back up.

hiker5
05-28-2004, 21:00
Thanks for the quick replies. Glad to get some confirmation that it is simply carbon. It was the only thing that made sense to me.