PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Cloud 9 Hostel?

Doctari
03-27-2009, 16:17
On the ALDHA web site (companion updates) it says:

>(Page 17) Cloud9 Hostel at Upper Hightower Trout Farm closed (update) - Hostel has closed permanently. (Posted 02/11/09)<

I checked & the Hightower website is also gone.

Odd.

Sly
03-27-2009, 16:23
AFAIK they sold the place to someone that didn't care to keep the hostel or the trout fishing open.

Doctari
03-27-2009, 17:38
OH! Another: Rainbow Springs & Mt Mommas.

Ah well, I wasn't going to be in that area for another few years anyway.

wrongway_08
03-27-2009, 19:51
Shame, was a great time had a Cloud 9.

Winter time, watching tv and the nude hikers running past the large bay window from the outdoor hot tub to the end of the driveway and back, in the snow!

One even took time to jump in the river on the way back!!!

Who wouldnt want a trout farm?

Glad I got the chance to be there.

Red Hat
03-27-2009, 20:02
never stayed there, too many other great places in Hiawassee: Blueberry Patch, Hiawassee Inn, Holiday Inn... For me, it's hard to choose between Gary and Lynnie at the Blueberry Patch or Ron and Sam at the Hiawassee Inn. It's All Good!

bronco
03-27-2009, 20:47
Great place to stay. they had a hiker feed while I was there, that is where I met Ron Haven. sorry to see it go but the owner said it was for sale when I was there in march 08

Blissful
03-27-2009, 21:38
I'll miss my namesake...

Great place. The smoked trout was excellent.
Glad we got to go there.

emerald
03-27-2009, 22:19
Who wouldn't want a trout farm?

Glad I got the chance to be there.

I can think of a number of people.;) One which may have been in business since the 1950s near me closed probably for good last year. Instead, people will now pay Nestle to truck the water all over God's creation!

My family went there to fish every summer when the Silver Queen corn was ripe as part our annual summer gathering. Maybe the best part was observing and helping children learn to fish, but while I prefer Atlantic salmon or brook trout, I was glad for the opportunity to fish for rainbow trout and will miss it.

chiefduffy
03-28-2009, 02:52
I will never forget an icy swim in the trout pond with good friends, then a good bonfire that night. Got smoked trout for the next day on the trail, felt like a bear magnet eating it in the woods. I will miss the place...

Dances with Mice
03-28-2009, 08:17
Laura & Fran found a piece of property nearby that they couldn't pass up. It's a few minutes away on the other side of 76 but further off the highway,

Dances with Mice
03-28-2009, 08:21
Laura & Fran found a piece of property nearby that they couldn't pass up. It's a few minutes away on the other side of 76 but further off the highway,oops - quieter, and a better property for horses. The new owners weren't interested in boarding hikers or farming trout.

Lone Wolf
03-28-2009, 08:23
The new owners weren't interested in boarding hikers

can you really blame 'em?

Jeff
03-28-2009, 09:18
Laura really became an expert on foot care. She saw plenty of swollen and blistered feet.

rockdawg69
03-28-2009, 10:52
D---!!! Stayed there on a rainy nero day. Great place, great folks, and great evening feed. Can't beat fresh trout. Going to miss that place. Was even thinking about stopping in on my way back from VA in mid-April.

Alive Adventure Gear
07-27-2009, 14:36
So, Cloud 9 has been sold for sure? My wife and I have been dreaming of operating a hostel. Maybe that's because we never have...but 10 years of youth ministry has to be some sort of foundation for that, huh? I'd love to talk to the previous owners for their take on things...

Dogwood
07-27-2009, 23:01
I never stayed there but , I do remember well all the smoked fish they offered up free to all at Traildays in 06. Yum! Yum! Thanks!