PDA

View Full Version : Bounce Bucket?

Desert Reprobate
03-27-2009, 22:28
I've seen reference to using a bounce bucket on WB several times. I asked my postmaster about mailing a bucket. Her response was "Huh". Has anyone had experience using a bucket for a bounce box?

Manwich
03-27-2009, 22:34
not for hiking, but i've mailed 5gallon buckets before no problem.

BrianLe
03-28-2009, 03:03
Ditto. I didn't use a bounce box/bucket/container on the PCT last year, but one resupply point required a plastic bucket (carried in on mules), and I mailed it with no problem.

The web site for the place I picked up my bucket gives a couple of notes on a picture for how to prepare the bucket for mailing, here:
http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html
(scroll to the bottom of the page)

hoz
03-28-2009, 09:00
I once received an empty plastic 50L Blue Barrel through the mail. All the shipper did was glue on a mailing label.

A-Train
03-28-2009, 09:36
I don't recommend it, especially not the AT where supplies are so easy to come by. Buy things when you need them (batteries, socks, vitamins) or carry a little extra. Unless you have special medication don't bother. You'll waste postage money and drive yourself crazy getting to the PO on time.

The only thing I could see wanting to bump would be maps and guidebook sections but this is something that could be remedied with a few maildrops.

garlic08
03-28-2009, 11:29
Well said, A-Train. I used a 5-gal bucket as a bounce on my first hike. While the bucket worked great, if you need it, I'll never hike with a bounce again. It's expensive and restrictive.

Desert Reprobate
03-28-2009, 15:47
I'm looking to ship special meds, shoes that I've already broken in, and clothing since I know I'll be losing a lot of inches pretty fast once I start the trail. I've thought about trying to stage caches along the trail on the way to Ga. Just trying to weigh my options.