PDA

View Full Version : July Vacation Plans

Miss Janet
05-29-2004, 11:49
WOW! We are having a great season but alas, very soon, the numbers will start going down and this big ole house will be very empty. The girls are out of school now and ready for summer. So, Miss Janet's House will be closed for the month of July and I am trying to make plans for a vacation for me and my girls.

My daughters have made the following requests:
1. No AT, Hiking, Hikers Trail Magic or Trail Towns! 2. Beach and fun stuff to do for the 4th of July!

So, does anyone have any ideas for a place along the east coast that might be a good place to spend a week? Budget is an issue and I am not real crazy about hotels for a whole week!

attroll
05-29-2004, 11:54
Come on up here to Maine for the 4th of July we have plenty of beaches and I will put you and the girls up during you stay. We have an extra bedroom.

bobgessner57
05-29-2004, 12:16
Miss Janet:

If you want to camp, Hammocks Beach State Park near Swansboro, NC is essentially an undeveloped barrier island. There are widely scattered designated campsites you can paddle directly to or walk into. Pretty short walk, not what I would call a hike but you do have to haul your gear on your back, carts bog down in the sand. The park has a headquarters and parking area on the mainland and a party barge that ferries people across to Bear Island. No shade just sand dunes, sea oats, and solitude. Swim, surf fish, sound fishing, explore the marshy areas if you have a canoe or kayak. Bugs can be a problem. No way off the island at night unless you have your own boat.

Cape Lookout futher north above Morehead City is same way but less marsh, some shaded campsites, bugs can be something to talk about for years to come or not bad at all. Shackleford Banks in same area is totally undeveloped, wild ponies, interesting place. Private shuttle ferries carry people from Cedar Island to the banks or cape. Cedar Island is nice, too.
Some car camping, the wildlife refuge, good paddling opportunities in the marshes and sound, and not much touron stuff, (but you can rent kayaks). Can take the toll car ferry from Cedar Island over to Ocracoke.

A-Train
05-29-2004, 14:13
What about Myrtle Beach in South Carolina or Virginia Beach? Its not too far driving from TN. Not sure about lodging though...maybe campgrounds??

kythruhiker
05-29-2004, 14:27
I've been going down to Edisto Island for about 15 years now, about 45 minutes below Charleston...great sand and surf, some of the best fossil hunting around (I've become addicted to finding shark's teeth), and not the crowd you get at Myrtle Beach. Plenty of condo and house rentals available, no hotels on the island at all.

http://www.edistorealty.com/

smokymtnsteve
05-29-2004, 15:06
The OUTER BANKS are nice. I think there are a couple hostels there.

Ocracoke?

Rain Man
05-29-2004, 17:18
My daughters have made the following requests:
1. No AT, Hiking, Hikers Trail Magic or Trail Towns! 2. Beach and fun stuff to do for the 4th of July!

My personal favorite is Fripp Island, SC, (pricey) but very close by is Huntington Beach State Park, which we visit also. Don't know for sure about the camping there. Both are just outside Beaufort, SC and Paris Island (where the US Marines train recruits). These are just north of Hilton Head (a grossly developed tourist trap) and Savannah, GA and just south of Charleston, SC, both beautiful cities.

Huntington Beach, SC.
http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/stateparks/Parkdetail.Asp?Pid=1019

Beaufort, SC.
http://www.beaufortsc.org/

My SC family will be at Fripp Island the week of June 26 - July 3. We might be there with them!

Rain Man

Rocalousas
05-29-2004, 17:21
What about that island off the Georgia coast that doesn't allow motorized vehicles and you have to take a ferry to? I believe it's some kind of preserve and is full of gators and other animals.

smokymtnsteve
05-29-2004, 17:23
cumberland??????

RedneckRye
05-29-2004, 22:23
Ocracoke Island, NC on the outer banks is mostly national seashore. I spent a week there a few years ago with my dad at the natl seashore campground in full car camping style. We had a blast. Three miles south of the campground is the town of Ocracoke... very mellow, a few restaurants, touristy art shops, etc. The Outer Banks in general are beautiful, check em out.

smokymtnsteve
05-29-2004, 22:27
http://www.outerbankshostel.com/directions.htm

http://www.ocracokeisland.com/wayfarer_hostel.htm

squirrel bait
05-30-2004, 03:03
I second the Outer Banks Miss Janet. Wide beaches, plenty of smaller motels to stay at, camping spots a little farther down the islands, Nags Head Woods to roam in and you can watch the wind/kite surfers at Canadian Hole. Swimming in Maine can be a little cold, check out Avalon Pier Cam for current weather, temps. If you decide to come this way, we are off the beaten path, give me call I will help how ever I can. My roommate is really nice though she thinks hikers are a bit crazy. :welcome

Brushy Sage
06-14-2004, 10:50
WOW! We are having a great season but alas, very soon, the numbers will start going down and this big ole house will be very empty. The girls are out of school now and ready for summer. So, Miss Janet's House will be closed for the month of July and I am trying to make plans for a vacation for me and my girls.

Janet, when will the house (in Erwin) be open again? I hope you have lined up a fun vacation!

MDSHiker
06-14-2004, 11:46
Hi Janet,

I'm sure you deserve a wonderful vacation! Myrtle Beach State Park is right on the beach and has shade trees in the camping area. Get away from those mountains and trails for a while and relax!

willyhort0w2
06-20-2004, 22:26
me and my family are renting a cabin on Watauga lake in TN for the Fourth (1st -the 5th) I am from PA but have family in Mountain city. you are welcome to stop by.