PDA

View Full Version : How many road walk sections ?

ednotmilkman
03-28-2009, 19:48
Hi,

I purchased the FT databook and also the FT poster because I'm interested in 3-5 day section hikes near me across the panhandle. Am wondering how many major road walk sections there are, especially west of....... say Osceola N.F. ? I was assuming that the poster or the data book would highlight the road walks different than the trail walks so I could easily plan mostly woods hiking, but neither does that. The Pinhoti guide book does us a nice favor by listing road walk sections separate.

Edwin in AL

erichkopp
03-30-2009, 14:18
I have a couple maps for the panhandle region because I've been wanting to do a couple day trip along the FT, and the maps don't even clearly show which sections are road walks. The section along the Suwannee River is all trail and decently long, so I've been looking at doing that section.

ednotmilkman
04-01-2009, 01:46
let me know if you could use a buddy erich? My work schedule is weather dependant and part-time, so I'd be happy to join another to drop a car at both ends if I can. I'd bring my hip waders with the rain we've been getting lately.

erichkopp
04-01-2009, 12:16
Sounds good to me. I was planning on sometime in May since I'll be out of school, if that works for you. The map gives a number to call to check water levels, but right now I'm sure the trail is well under water. Hopefully things dry up a bit soon.

jnetx
04-05-2009, 22:23
All given westbound
From Tinsley Road (just west of Etonia) to Goldhead. Minor roads, and a decent wide edge to walk on for the most part. Some of the raods are busy though.

From Holton Creek about 5 - 7 miles to Suwannee River. Dirt Roads, littel traffic. Lots of deer.

Leaving the Suwannee River after Mill Creek for about 50 miles across San Pedro WMA. All dirt roads, quiet but some hunter atv traffic depending on season..

Exiting Aucilla about 5 miles on US98 to the start of St Marks. the roads is busy, but you mainly have a nice wide area to walk on, the Aucilla bridgs being the exception, which can be a little hairy in traffic.

Leaving the Apalachicola NF on CR12 to Bristol, reasonable walking area, traffic not too bad. On to US20 to cross Apalachicola Bridge into Blountstown. About 5 miles, off road walk either on grass sides, or protected concrete walkway over bridge.

Leaving Blountstown N on SR71. In my opinion the nastiest most dangerous roadwalk on the FL Trail. Busy State highway, nowhere to walk except the blacktop edge. About 5 miles of this. then on to quieter roads for about 20 miles to the Econfina trailhead.

Exiting Econfina heading west on SR20 for 20+ miles to Bruce. SR20 is busy but there is almos always somewhere to walk on the banks bside, sometimes leading to one leg longer than the other syndrome! The trail has been rerouted from Bruce since I hiked it a year ago, not sure how far up the highway the walk is before you enter the new off road Nokuse section.

Exiting Eglin East at Crestview. About 20 miles of US 385? and US98 to the AL connector up into Blackwater. Busy roads, but again, sidewalks and usually a dirt road that the mailman has created in his truck for most of the walking.

Continuing West on traditional trail it's a further 10 mile roadwalk down to the Yellow River to get back into Eglin on the west side. Roads not too busy, and places to walk of on the side away from traffic.

Exiting Eglin at Navarre and continuing down across the Intracoastal is all sidewalk walking.

From Navarre Beach to SRIA Dunes (e of Pensacola Beach) there is road or can choose to walk the beach.

More road or beach choice from Pensacola Beach to the Gulf Ilands National seashore. From there there are some sections of blacktop, but the roads are closed, so no traffic.

Hope this helps.

Sandy B
06-02-2009, 23:46
the road walk going west from the Econifina creek on to hwy 20 has been reduced.
After 7-8 years of the trail going to a dead end in Pine Log State Forest, it has been cut through to hwy 20 apx 3.5 miles east of Ebro or 8.5 miles west of hwy 79. A new sign has been installed.
This section would make a good 9-10 mile day by putting a car at each end.
There is still construction in the area of hwy 79, when completed, hikers will be able to cross under the road at the bridge. DOT has put a gravel path under the bridges and its own side walk across the bridges.

the panhandle chapter will hike (and do a GPS plot) this Saturday 6 June, Meeting at the K-mart at 0730. This will be about 6.2 mile hike of the new trail from hwy 20 to hwy 79 south of Ebro.

thanks, Sandy B