PDA

View Full Version : Shining Rock Suggestions

bwgride
03-29-2009, 01:01
Hi -- I'm taking my 10 year old son hiking/camping in the Shining Rock area sometime in April and would like suggestions for sites to visit. As a 10 year old boy, he will certainly be interested in any "cool" natural features, such as creeks, rock outcroppings, mountain tops, etc.

We will probably be in the area for 3 or 4 days depending upon his interest and weather. We've been practicing hiking with loaded packs and I anticipate that with frequent sightseeing, recreation, and food stops, we can hike 4 to 5 miles a day if the trails are in good shape, otherwise maybe half that.

However, this trip will emphasize more camping than hiking, so we probably will stay within 4 or 5 mile range of the parking area.

With this information in mind, what areas would you suggest to see or camp? My tentative plans follows:

1. Day 1 arrive late afternoon at road 816, park, and maybe camp near parking lot. Perhaps head up toward Black Balsam Knob or down toward Flat Laurel Creek? Looking for something ~1 mile distance.

2. Day 2 perhaps hike to and camp at Sam Knob?

3. Day 3 - suggestions?

4. Day 4 short hike parking lot and depart.

chelko
03-30-2009, 15:21
Take ivestor gap trai to ivester gap about 2.2 miles then up to Shinning rock gap to camp there on second night. Visit the shining rock then back to car via Art loeb trail over tenant montain and Black balsalm knob. Great trip with kids lots to see good views, easy trail. Took my daughter there when she was 10, still one of her favorite trips.

bwgride
03-30-2009, 15:55
Take ivestor gap trai to ivester gap about 2.2 miles then up to Shinning rock gap to camp there on second night. Visit the shining rock then back to car via Art loeb trail over tenant montain and Black balsalm knob. Great trip with kids lots to see good views, easy trail. Took my daughter there when she was 10, still one of her favorite trips.

Hi -- thank you for this suggestion; mapping it now (see attached image). :sun

You write that it's an easy trail, but my map shows Art Loeb to be difficult. Perhaps north of Shining Rock Gap the trail is difficult. Can you tell me the difficulty of Art Loeb from Shining Rock Gap to Flower Gap, then to Tennent Mountain?

SteveJ
03-30-2009, 16:42
Hi -- thank you for this suggestion; mapping it now (see attached image). :sun

You write that it's an easy trail, but my map shows Art Loeb to be difficult. Perhaps north of Shining Rock Gap the trail is difficult. Can you tell me the difficulty of Art Loeb from Shining Rock Gap to Flower Gap, then to Tennent Mountain?

It's a group of several 4-500 foot elevation changes, often with deeply eroded, washed out trail. "Difficult?" maybe, as compared to walking on flat ground - I wouldn't consider it that, tho.....

chelko
03-30-2009, 17:20
Most of the Art Loeb south of ivestor gap is over balds so it is quite heavily used and can be eroded at times. the climbs are gradual and the scenery is great. Not to difficult for a 10 year old. The ivestor trail is an old railroad grade so it is very gradual but can be rocky in spots. Take the ivestor trial in and camp near the gap. Once you get to the Shinning Rock Wilderness sign there is a group of pines on a small knob back to your right. Great campsite in the shelter of the pines. Large granite slabs just outside the pines on the Art Loeb side for stargazing. Water is south of the trail junction a few hundred yards on the ivestor trail.

bwgride
03-30-2009, 17:24
Thanks for all the replies and clarification about difficulty. When I read "difficult" I had in mind a tough hike we did last year in a gorge where the trail was full of obstacles, much climbing, and narrow paths, but from what you describe it seems the difficulty rating is from erosion and inclines/declines -- that's doable.

chelko
03-30-2009, 17:26
I sent you a PM with my number if you want to call me I can give you more details over the phone on campsites, water, what to expect etc.