PDA

View Full Version : Shrine just north of Graymoor Friary

Tin Man
03-29-2009, 10:08
What's the shrine all about just north of Graymoor Friary?

Two small buildings on a small hilltop to the east of the AT attracted our attention. When we saw a statue of Christ we decided to investigate. One of the buildings is like a mini-chapel and there are tables and chairs all around. A local told us one of the Friars established it many years ago and the local Hispanics have adopted it for some sort of Sunday worship all year long. She said they do pilgrimages there hauling a lot of stuff in every Sunday. The signage and post board there is all in Spanish, which I don't read or speak. Anyone have more information?

I would have posted some pictures, but I would have had to charge the battery BEFORE packing the camera.

LIhikers
03-29-2009, 13:15
What's the shrine all about just north of Graymoor Friary?

Two small buildings on a small hilltop to the east of the AT attracted our attention. When we saw a statue of Christ we decided to investigate. One of the buildings is like a mini-chapel and there are tables and chairs all around. A local told us one of the Friars established it many years ago and the local Hispanics have adopted it for some sort of Sunday worship all year long. She said they do pilgrimages there hauling a lot of stuff in every Sunday. The signage and post board there is all in Spanish, which I don't read or speak. Anyone have more information?

I would have posted some pictures, but I would have had to charge the battery BEFORE packing the camera.

My wife and I are AT corridor monitors in that area and have seen the parties the local Hispanic commuinity has at that site. I don't know how much worhip is going on but I can tell you that there are generators, and boom boxes, loud music, tons of food and plenty of trash on the ground and an army of children running around in the woods. I just wish they'd do a better job of cleaning up the grounds once the party's over.

Tin Man
03-29-2009, 13:22
My wife and I are AT corridor monitors in that area and have seen the parties the local Hispanic commuinity has at that site. I don't know how much worhip is going on but I can tell you that there are generators, and boom boxes, loud music, tons of food and plenty of trash on the ground and an army of children running around in the woods. I just wish they'd do a better job of cleaning up the grounds once the party's over.

why doesn't that surprise me? it was pretty clean when we walked through, but the grounds are pretty sterile in terms of no underbrush