PDA

View Full Version : harper's ferry to caledonia state park

joneshiker
03-29-2009, 15:41
planning a hike from harper's ferry to caledonia state park next summer. just was looking for any information about mileage (58 miles i think), trail conditions, and/or shuttle services. any info or pics would be appreciated.

jamarshall
03-29-2009, 16:32
58 miles is right. This is the first section of the AT that I ever backpacked. I picked it because there were lots of shelters, parks, water sources, and "reasonable" trail conditions. I took six days to do it, but wasn't in any hurry. My hike was in late April, temps ranged from around 30 degrees to nearly 90.

Enjoy!

modiyooch
03-29-2009, 17:09
what I liked the most was the spigot water at the historical places along the hike. What about the remote hot showers ? Is that along this same stretch??

jamarshall
03-29-2009, 20:21
Dahlgren Back Pack Campground has hot showers. Also Greenbrier State Park which is off the trail a bit.

DGrav
03-29-2009, 21:14
Maryland is a great section we did from Penn Mar to Harpers Ferry in 2006 in two and a half days.

I know that there used to be shuttles available from the OutFitter in HF to Penn Mar.

Blissful
03-29-2009, 23:23
Nice place to hike. Won't take you too long to do it. Watch out for deerflies, nasty buggers.

Creek Dancer
01-11-2013, 15:29
I am planning to do this section in a couple of months. Anybody know if I can park my car at Caledonia State Park for a few nites? I can't find any information on the website about this. Also, if it is permitted, is it safe to do so? Thanks.

Studlintsean
01-11-2013, 15:32
I am planning to do this section in a couple of months. Anybody know if I can park my car at Caledonia State Park for a few nites? I can't find any information on the website about this. Also, if it is permitted, is it safe to do so? Thanks.

I parked a car there for 3 nights in November 2011. I believe the park closes at dark so make sure you plan to be back before dark on the final day. Someone local can probbaly provide additional information.

Creek Dancer
01-11-2013, 15:36
Thanks for the info!

byoung
01-11-2013, 17:09
Planning to do this section mid April this year only going on to Pine Grove Furnace.

Bloomer
01-11-2013, 17:39
You can park @ Caladonia SP in a parking lot right off the road. No time limit and you just have to leave the Park Office your info ie. tag number car make and time of hike. Very safe and large parking area. Call the park and they will give you all info.

toonnee
01-11-2013, 18:17
I will second what bloomer said. No gore so don't matter when you get there. I parked there several times no problem.

dmperkins74
01-11-2013, 18:46
It's a beautiful section to hike for sure. You can find several people who run shuttles in that area (myself included) on the Appalachian Trail.org site. Here's the link:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation

Cosmo
01-12-2013, 19:48
Teahorse Hostel http://www.teahorsehostel.com/ in HF is pretty nice. I stayed with them last August and got a shuttle south to Front Royal. Pretty much the same distance as Caledonia. No problem leaving the car at the Teahorse, either.

Cosmo

RETCW4
01-12-2013, 22:56
I'll be doing Caledonia to Pine Grove next weekend. Register your vehicle tag number at the Park office and park at the SW corner lot across the street from Thaddeus Steens Blacksmith Shop.