PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Passings On The Trail

Wrangler88
03-29-2009, 17:04
Just got back from backpacking at my local state park. While I was out I came upon a couple and their dog. They were hiking the same direction I was. I figure that I'm a pretty loud hiker. I hike fast and use leki poles which make a lot of noise on the rocks.

Apparently they never heard me. Nor their dog. And when I got up closer to them I said "Hey, how are ya'll?" The woman freaked because I startled her. And continued to act as though she couldn't believe that someone else could have been around. Then after a few seconds I guess they both got a hold of themselves and thought it was somewhat comical.

Question is, have you had any really awkward passings with people while on the trail? Either because the situation was weird or the people themselves were?

SGT Rock
03-29-2009, 17:05
Yes

warraghiyagey
03-29-2009, 17:09
Yup. . . .

Wrangler88
03-29-2009, 17:11
Alright ... thanks. Hah, I was wanting to hear some interesting stories hopefully.

warraghiyagey
03-29-2009, 17:12
Oh. . . . .

SGT Rock
03-29-2009, 17:14
I've had some encounters like this, but none stick out in my mind. Other than the one where they thought I was some insane ax murderer or something. That is discussed in the "what to do about creepy guys on the trail" thread (or whatever it is called).

TOW
03-29-2009, 17:19
I've had some encounters like this, but none stick out in my mind. Other than the one where they thought I was some insane ax murderer or something. That is discussed in the "what to do about creepy guys on the trail" thread (or whatever it is called).
i remember when all that went down, some darn crime slueth that was thinking too much.........

TOW
03-29-2009, 17:19
or drinking too much.......

Tin Man
03-29-2009, 17:27
I get a little excited when I pass people openly holding guns AND not sporting a hunting license. The guy with the pistol had a look that made me wonder if my backpack would slow down a bullet.

sheepdog
03-29-2009, 17:32
We don't have back tags for hunting licenses in Michigan any more. So a guy carrying a gun in the woods is a normal thing. If he is talking to the gun and arguing with the bullets, then you got problems.

Tin Man
03-29-2009, 17:45
We don't have back tags for hunting licenses in Michigan any more. So a guy carrying a gun in the woods is a normal thing. If he is talking to the gun and arguing with the bullets, then you got problems.

Do they allow hunting with pistols?

fiddlehead
03-29-2009, 17:52
There are other trails with less people if people bother you.

SGT Rock
03-29-2009, 17:55
i remember when all that went down, some darn crime slueth that was thinking too much.........
No, not that one. That one is pretty interesting too. I'm talking about the one that happened in GA about 2001 where a guy and two girls got the creeps from me sitting there drinking water.

Wrangler88
03-29-2009, 18:15
There are other trails with less people if people bother you.

People don't bother me at all. I'm looking forward to meeting people on the AT.

fiddlehead
03-29-2009, 18:24
Oh good, you might see a few.
Sorry, i just noticed that you were in a state park. Possibly not the AT in your original post.

Old Grouse
03-29-2009, 18:46
To your point of surprising people you overtake, it always amazes me how few people check their backtrail. I do this periodically, and I know some folks think that's odd, but to me it's just like checking your rearview mirrors when driving.

Manwich
03-29-2009, 18:50
Shephard and his "buddy" Ali Baba. He was hiking with a goat. That was awkward.

clured
03-29-2009, 18:54
One time a couple summers back I was on a day hike in the Bankhead National Forest in Alabama, and I decided to take off my shoes and walk in the creek. Walked about a mile or so up one of the little branches, and happened upon a couple naked, doing in the deed on a big rock in the middle of the river. Awkwardness ensued.

mtnkngxt
03-29-2009, 18:55
Passed a guy one day in 06 while it was raining on my section. I didn't realize he had an ipod going until I got right up behind him and proceded to go around him as he was just gradually walking. This was all good and fine until I stepped around him and he jumped and threw his leki at me. I wasn't sure what the problem was until he ripped the headphones from his ears and started asking me what I wanted. I started laughing and he looked even more worried because I couldn't stop. I then proceeded to tell him about the quarter mile I'd been following not 30 feet behind him, and that I was just trying to get around him and get to the shelter to eat, change, and then head on down the trail to make camp. We ended up hiking for a few days together, and then I did a big mileage day and he never did catch up.

daddytwosticks
03-29-2009, 18:57
I've never been freaked out or startled by hikers passing me from behind. Amazingly, I've always heard them or "felt" them coming up behind me and my hearing is not that great. Must be a sixth sense or something when I'm in the woods. Now I've come around a blind bend or obstructed part of the trail and have been startled by hikers in front of me...weird. :)

dloome
03-29-2009, 19:06
I passed Minnesota Smith in the Smokys when I hiked the AT in 2006. I hadn't heard of the guy before.

Reeeaallly strange. And not in a good way.

Tin Man
03-29-2009, 19:06
Shephard and his "buddy" Ali Baba. He was hiking with a goat. That was awkward.

Did the goat help carry the load?

Mother Nature
03-29-2009, 19:15
I know that I have told this story before on here but it has been a long time. Smokestack and I were out doing some heavy duty trail work on my AT section with my district super and some guy came up upon us. He saw our axes and stuff (wilderness) and started crying and shaking. He cried.. take what you want and just don't hurt me. Even when we told him what we were doing he wouldn't pass until we backed way off the trail.

Hoop
03-29-2009, 21:26
Funny.

SGT Rock
03-29-2009, 21:31
I know that I have told this story before on here but it has been a long time. Smokestack and I were out doing some heavy duty trail work on my AT section with my district super and some guy came up upon us. He saw our axes and stuff (wilderness) and started crying and shaking. He cried.. take what you want and just don't hurt me. Even when we told him what we were doing he wouldn't pass until we backed way off the trail.
Reminds me of an event on my hike last year. I walked up to Old Orchard shelter where three college students on spring break were deciding to go on or set up camp. When I rounded around from the back of the shelter they all armed themsleves with hatchets and knives in case I was the wierdo.

mbanja
03-29-2009, 21:39
Anyone meet "sugar blade" SOBO last year? Nice guy, but a little weird to see a four foot sword strapped to the back of a pack...

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2009, 21:45
Reminds me of an event on my hike last year. I walked up to Old Orchard shelter where three college students on spring break were deciding to go on or set up camp. When I rounded around from the back of the shelter they all armed themsleves with hatchets and knives in case I was the wierdo.

Gee Sgt, with your survival knowledge, and the look in your eye... Couldn't you call on your "Chuck Norris" good nature & smile?

SGT Rock
03-29-2009, 21:46
I ignored them and ate a Snickers.

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2009, 21:47
lmao!

sheepdog
03-29-2009, 22:20
Do they allow hunting with pistols?
Yep. Deer, small game, no migratory game birds.

Gaiter
03-30-2009, 01:15
me and another hiker taking a break at a picnic table near the trail on the blue ridge, the table was in the shade and a little out of the way and there were no other cars at the view... a car pulls up, gets out and starts taking pictures, i walk up and kindly offer to take a picture of the whole group together... i think i scared them, they looked pretty freaked out.....

oxxo
03-30-2009, 02:27
I was hiking near Lee, MA in a stretch of the AT that was swarming with mosquitoes. I was double-timing up the trail trying to get thru the swarm when I came upon another hiker. I noticed he had a can of "Off" insect spray and he had on earphones listening to a tiny radio. Since the "skeeters" weren't attacking him so much due to his use of "Off", he was non-chalantly strolling along the trail. I didn't want to slow down and strike up a chat with him, so I barrelled right past him. The trail was narrow at the point where I shot past him, and my pack barely bumped him. He let out a scream, and fell sideways as he swung his hiking pole in my direction. Of course, I realized immediately that I had scared the beejeesus out of him. I stopped and apologized to him for the scare that I had given him. He apologized for swinging at me, but he honestly thought that a bear had just hit him from behind. It took him a minute to recover from the shock. We shook hands and I took off again like a bat outta hell trying to escape the "skeeters."

Newb
03-30-2009, 07:46
I came across three young ladies hiking north of hwy 522 here in Virginia one day. I said a quick hello and passed by. However, I was only doing a quick "out and back" hike that day so when I reached the Denton shelter I turned around and caught back up with them. At that point I could sense that I was causing them concern. I realized that there was nothing I could do or say other than to keep moving....

Desert Reprobate
03-30-2009, 08:45
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it meant someone died on a shelter privy.

Jim Adams
03-30-2009, 09:09
I am a little old fat man that does not EVER look intimidating however about 3 years ago I was hiking from Hog Pen Gap into Low Gap shelter in March and the trail was fairly crowded. I was slowly catching these two young ladies ahead of me and at times they would look back to see how close I was. About half way up one of the easy climbs they stopped to let me pass but again, being a little old fat man, I also needed a quick rest stop. I stopped at the two young ladies introduced myself and ask if they could reach my water bottle around the side of my pack so that I could have a drink as my round body and short arms prevented me from grabbing it myself with the pack on. They appearred very "jumpy" and avoiding eye contact but very politely handed me the bottle. I took a good drink, they put the bottle back, I thanked them, wished them good luck and again, without making eye contact they said you're welcome and I hiked on. As I walked away they were turned facing the other direction and as I got up the hill further I could hear them giggling. I walked another mile or two to the shelter where my daughter was waiting. She greeted me with excitement and said " I can't believe you made it here that quick, you're getting your trail legs back. BTW dad, you need to pull your kilt down...it's bunched up under your pack and your ass is hanging out!"

geek

DAJA
03-30-2009, 09:23
I am a little old fat man that does not EVER look intimidating however about 3 years ago I was hiking from Hog Pen Gap into Low Gap shelter in March and the trail was fairly crowded. I was slowly catching these two young ladies ahead of me and at times they would look back to see how close I was. About half way up one of the easy climbs they stopped to let me pass but again, being a little old fat man, I also needed a quick rest stop. I stopped at the two young ladies introduced myself and ask if they could reach my water bottle around the side of my pack so that I could have a drink as my round body and short arms prevented me from grabbing it myself with the pack on. They appearred very "jumpy" and avoiding eye contact but very politely handed me the bottle. I took a good drink, they put the bottle back, I thanked them, wished them good luck and again, without making eye contact they said you're welcome and I hiked on. As I walked away they were turned facing the other direction and as I got up the hill further I could hear them giggling. I walked another mile or two to the shelter where my daughter was waiting. She greeted me with excitement and said " I can't believe you made it here that quick, you're getting your trail legs back. BTW dad, you need to pull your kilt down...it's bunched up under your pack and your ass is hanging out!"

geek

That is a truely fantastic story! Great laugh to start off a monday morning!

I've often considered hiking in a kilt... But do you have to be of Scottish heritage to do so, or are kilts free game to the willing?

Darwin again
03-30-2009, 09:59
Walking out of Damascus after Trail Days in '05, I walked up on a guy pleasuring himself while sitting ON the trail (facing downhill) with his shorts down around his ankles. His dog was just sitting there, looking up at the trees. He was an odd one, pretty much a homeless person, who got off trail soon after at the next road.

It was remarkably memorable.
I mentioned this to other hikers and he was quickly dubbed, "Bushwacker."

JaxHiker
03-30-2009, 10:56
I was just hiking at my local state park with my girlfriend and dog when some jerk came out of nowhere and scared the hell out of us. I think he was a murderer or something. Had these damned poles of death with him and everything.

Wrangler88
03-30-2009, 15:21
I was just hiking at my local state park with my girlfriend and dog when some jerk came out of nowhere and scared the hell out of us. I think he was a murderer or something. Had these damned poles of death with him and everything.

Haha.

Jim Adams
03-30-2009, 19:02
That is a truely fantastic story! Great laugh to start off a monday morning!

I've often considered hiking in a kilt... But do you have to be of Scottish heritage to do so, or are kilts free game to the willing?

Several companies make hiking kilts...I have 3 but prefer sportkilts (sportkilts.com)...good for anybody...very comfortable!:sun

geek

Mighty Mouse
03-30-2009, 19:51
When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it meant someone died on a shelter privy.

That is too funny. I've been giggling since the beginning of this thread, but when I saw this, I nearly peed myself from laughing so hard. ;)

Tich
05-21-2009, 20:48

This has made the whole thread worth it.

vonfrick
05-21-2009, 22:30
jim adams, great story.

Tinker
05-21-2009, 23:13
Here's the first to come to mind - I was hiking in the White Mts. a number of years ago, coming up over a rocky ridge above treeline. Just as I looked over a large boulder, a young woman quickly looked over her shoulder in the opposite direction to see if anyone was looking, then took a quick potty break. I ducked back behind the boulder and waited a minute before going around it so as to not startle or embarass her. Probably not that uncommon, really.

Shutterbug
05-21-2009, 23:49
Just got back from backpacking at my local state park. While I was out I came upon a couple and their dog. They were hiking the same direction I was. I figure that I'm a pretty loud hiker. I hike fast and use leki poles which make a lot of noise on the rocks.

Apparently they never heard me. Nor their dog. And when I got up closer to them I said "Hey, how are ya'll?" The woman freaked because I startled her. And continued to act as though she couldn't believe that someone else could have been around. Then after a few seconds I guess they both got a hold of themselves and thought it was somewhat comical.

Question is, have you had any really awkward passings with people while on the trail? Either because the situation was weird or the people themselves were?

I guess passing in a camp site is passing on the trail.

I was hiking the Wonderland Trail and reached camp well after dark. Everyone else in camp had already turned in. I was as quiet as I could be in setting up my tent and getting ready for the night, but when I went to hang my bear bag on the bear pole, I accidentally banged up against the bear pole. It made a clanking noise. A guy in one of the tents assumed that a bear was trying to get his food. Rather than checking to see, he grabbed his large cooking spoon and started banging his cook pot. He started yelling "Go away bear" at the top of his voice. He would stop for a while, then start doing it again. He kept everyone awake for about an hour. When I woke up the next morning, he was gone. I doubt if he slept at all.

TIDE-HSV
05-22-2009, 01:32
One of the most awkward happened just off the AT. A friend and I were hiking in from Blockhouse Mt. into Thunderhead Mt. in the GSMNP. We rounded a bend into a designated campsite, and there was a guy, a dwarf, in fact, with his pants down, taking a dump in the middle of the trail. Weirder yet, his tall, blond and strikingly attractive GF was standing right by him. He grumped that a guy couldn't even take a crap any more. My buddy and I hiked on in silence until we rounded the next bend, when we looked at each other. I just asked "Did you just see what I saw?"

Engine
05-22-2009, 06:37
One of the most awkward happened just off the AT. A friend and I were hiking in from Blockhouse Mt. into Thunderhead Mt. in the GSMNP. We rounded a bend into a designated campsite, and there was a guy, a dwarf, in fact, with his pants down, taking a dump in the middle of the trail. Weirder yet, his tall, blond and strikingly attractive GF was standing right by him. He grumped that a guy couldn't even take a crap any more. My buddy and I hiked on in silence until we rounded the next bend, when we looked at each other. I just asked "Did you just see what I saw?"

That is just plain odd. :-?

Lone Wolf
05-22-2009, 06:45

was it one of these fellas? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48&feature=related

TIDE-HSV
05-22-2009, 07:31
LOL... I remember her hair but not his. But I don't think it looked like that...

MOWGLI
05-22-2009, 08:03

geek

Great story.

Reminds me of the time I was riding my bike back home in Warwick, NY. I was feeling fit and trim. It was a great day. I was downtown. A convertible with two lovely women pulls alongside me. I turned my head and smiled. And they both burst out laughing. My crack was showing. :o

It's funny now, but it was kind of a blow back then. :p

MOWGLI
05-22-2009, 08:09
I forget where we were, but I was hiking the AT somewhere in Virginia with Youngblood (I think) and we passed a couple. The woman was wearing skin tight jeans and a top. Big boobs. Big hair. High heels. All dolled up. She really was pretty attractive. Especially to this guy who had been out in the woods for a couple months. What I remember most was the perfume. It was as if she'd taken a bath in it. No words were exchanged.

We walked on silently for a while, and one of us finally said, "do you think they're going thru?" :D

OldStormcrow
05-22-2009, 09:31
I was hiking the Foothills Trail on my birthday.....in my birthday suit. I had not seen a soul in 2 days and was beginning to think I would get away with it when some poor guy rounded a blind curve in the trail right in front of me. Unfortunately it was a rather tight spot in the trail and we had to squeeze by each other uncomfortably close, avoiding eye contact the entire time. Talk about "awkward passings"!

OldStormcrow
05-22-2009, 11:16
By the way, geek, I just received my new utilikilt and am planning on giving it a test run next week.

Tich
05-22-2009, 16:24
Here's the first to come to mind - I was hiking in the White Mts. a number of years ago, coming up over a rocky ridge above treeline. Just as I looked over a large boulder, a young woman quickly looked over her shoulder in the opposite direction to see if anyone was looking, then took a quick potty break. I ducked back behind the boulder and waited a minute before going around it so as to not startle or embarass her. Probably not that uncommon, really.

Think I've been on the other end of that awkward passing once or twice... Ah, memories.

TIDE-HSV
05-22-2009, 16:42
On a different slant on the "awkward potty break" problem, years ago, my wife and I were hiking in the Grant Tetons. I felt a call, but it was a fairly heavily-traveled trail. I saw an area, uphill, where there was a thicket. I climbed up, ducked into an open area, unzipped and started. Then, I looked up to see a cow moose looking at me from about 30' away, and looking very unhappy, head down and swaying slightly back and forth. I commenced to softly sweet-talk her, calling her "old girl," (hoping that wouldn't offend). She let me finish, withdraw and escape. When I reached the trail, my wife said "Who the hell were you talking to up there?"

rtfi
05-22-2009, 18:35
Similar to Tinker, I came around a corner and saw a young woman squatting just off the trail. I immediately turned around and took a rest. I remember writing in my diary that I saw a few "white tails" that day, and not all of them were deer.