PDA

View Full Version : 3 month thru-hike?

05-30-2004, 13:29
I am currently in high school and a friend of mine and i are very interested in thru-hiking the AT. We have some hiking experience and lots of running experience (2 entirely different things i know but being fit should help). We want to do the whole trail in the time we have for summer. June 5 or so till August 29 or so between our junior and senior years (so we'll be 17 then) Just under 3 months. Is this feasible? Is it just tha 'im an invincible teensger that can do anything' mindset kicking in? We would train a lot between now and then (almost a year to prepare). If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

MOWGLI
05-30-2004, 13:40
You could do it, but it would not be easy. You won't be able to take many rest days and will have to average more than 20 miles a day.

In 2000 Zoom Loco caught up to me at the Connecticut River on the VT/NH border. I started March 7, and he started in Mid-May. It took him about 2 months to get that far. Of course, the toughest part of the trail lies north of that point.

I hiked with (3) different 17 year olds in 2000. If 3 months is all you've got, give it your best shot. You'll have a good time regardless of whether you complete the entire trail.

Jeffrey Hunter

grrickar
05-30-2004, 13:45
That is just my opinion, and it doesn't count since I have not done any hiking on the AT. I think that works out to about 23+ miles per day to complete the entire hike, and if you start at Springer Mtn you will be starting in the hottest months. Your schedule will not allow for zero days for rest, so after awhile that will take a toll. You also won't have time to enjoy yourselves or the scenery much.

I would recommend that you section hike as much of the trail as you can then finish it the next year if possible.That would likely be a more enjoyable experience.

Singletrack
05-30-2004, 16:15
Mile Slave, age 17, hiked the Trail in 2000 in 3 months. Finished about the end of June. He was alone though. Good Luck

hungryhowie
05-30-2004, 16:52
I was 17 when I began my thru-hike in 2000. I graduated early so I could begin my hike in Spring...I wanted plenty of time to enjoy myself and be able to have time to think about my future. Being so young has advantages: resilience among them. I have no doubt that you and your friend will be able to accomplish the trail in 3 months if you feel the same way that I did about my thruhike. For me, it was the most important thing in my life. I couldn't let go of the idea, it consumed me day and night, it was my overriding desire. It never even occured to me, before or during the hike, that I might not finish, eventhough I knew that only about 10% of those who begin a thruhike actually complete it. Other people quit...not me.

If this is how you feel, you will have no problems accomplishing your goals. If you are somewhat hesitant, or don't immediately identify with the above, you may want to reconsider, or at least think your decision through carefully and fully.

Hiking the trail in 3 months means an average of 23.5 miles each and every day. If you want to be able to rest one day per week, you'll have to up that to nearly 28 miles per day. Can it be done? Absolutely. It has been done many times in the past by other hikers. It will require absolute dedication and perserverance however.

You have one year to prepare for your journey. In this time, I would recommend strongly that you frequent this website and other applicable web boards to learn all you can. Go ahead and purchase Dan Bruce's Thru-hiker's Handbook (this will give you mile-by-mile trail information as well as information about towns, resupply, etc all for about $10). I would also strongly suggest that you research and invest only in lightweight gear. While no gear will make or break your hike, using the lightest gear that you can while maintaining a safety margin will help you in your goal.

You can even make much of your own equipment, at a fraction of the cost of their retail counterparts. Stuffsacks, rain covers, pack liners, tarps, hammocks, sleeping quilts, packs, rain jackets, rain pants, insulated jackets, fleece hat, fleece mittens, etc, etc, etc can all be made with varying degrees of difficulty. I've made most of these items myself, and even contributed a down quilt design (weighing 17oz) to the make-your-own cause.

If you want it...make it happen.

-Howie

05-30-2004, 22:32
thanks very much to all who replied so quickly to my post, i will most certainly be looking through this site and other resources for information over the next year. again, thanks, having the opinions and knowledge of those who know something about it all really helps.

Stuart
05-30-2004, 23:01
Listen to Howie. I think he is right on the money.

I'll be attempting the trail next year and have about 99 days to get it done. I'm not young and spry, but I think I've got a few more good efforts in me and I want this one pretty bad.

Go for it. Life is short. You may have many opportunities to thruhike in the future, but you never know maybe next year will be the only chance you get.

Colter
05-31-2004, 03:05
I don't know you and your friend. There's certainly a chance you can do it, but the odds are very high though that you won't make it.

Perhaps 80% of the people who plan to finish the trail don't make the whole thru-hike. Most of those folks have a heck of a lot more time on their hands, too.

You are shooting for about 25.2 miles a day AVERAGE. That's with NO rest days, NO injury days, NO family emergency days, etc.

86 days is a very, very fast thru-hike. Sure, there are a few folks that have done it.

It took Ray Jardine and his wife 2 months and 28 days or about 88 days. They were expert hikers in great shape pushing to cover miles. (if you don't know who Ray Jardine is, look him up.)

The odds say that any individual won't complete a thru-hike.
Hiking at that VERY fast speed reduces your odds dramatically.
BOTH of you completing a thru-hike at that pace is even more unlikely.

Possible? Absolutely. but statistically, here's my take on the odds of completing your thru-hike that fast. The percentages aren't gospel, by any means, but I think they're ballpark.
One succeeding (all things being equal) about 20%
BOTH succeeding (all things being equal) about 4% (20% x 20%)
One making it that fast, about 2%
Odds of both of you making the hike that fast, about .04% (2% x 2%)

Maybe you can beat those odds. There are people that could. I guess we all think we'll beat the odds, or we wouldn't tackle the trail, would we?

Jaybird
05-31-2004, 05:44
I am currently in high school and a friend of mine and i are very interested in thru-hiking the AT. We have some hiking experience and lots of running experience (2 entirely different things i know but being fit should help). We want to do the whole trail in the time we have for summer. June 5 or so till August 29 or so between our junior and senior years (so we'll be 17 then) Just under 3 months. Is this feasible? Is it just tha 'im an invincible teensger that can do anything' mindset kicking in? We would train a lot between now and then (almost a year to prepare). If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Joseph8806

well you asked for advice/opinions...heres my 2 pennies worth...

first, anything is POSSIBLE...but, like many posters have said...you're missing what is the most important for most "thru-hikers" the "people" experiences, the blue blaze trips to the TRAIL TOWNS...& hell, thats just a whole butt-load of miles for anybody to do...less than 20% of those hikers that start @ Springer...summit Katahdin....& those guys are taking breaks, zero days, etc.,etc.

if you guys do this super thru hike in your alotted time...maybe in 10 or 20 years or so...you can go back & do another "thru" & then take your time & smell the roses, the pink lady slippers, the wild iris, the rhododendron, etc., etc., etc., the things you'll surely miss on this trip!

good luck on your SPEEDY adventure! :D

Kozmic Zian
05-31-2004, 10:01
Yea......3 Months. Good Luck! Odds are you both won't make it......Changes are neither will make it......too much pressure, with big miles, no rest, no injury, no reason to get off. It will be extreamly tough. Lot's of guys make it in 3 months, every year some do. It just might work for you, but you better be in the best condition of your life, motivated, and have a great game plan, or you just won't get there. The one thing that makes it very difficult is the unpredictable 'unknown variables'. These are things that no-body predicts will happen, but invariably do.....so, get yourselves ready, follow the Whiteblaze.net.....and Good Speed Hiking! KZ@

jbwood5
05-31-2004, 10:57
I can be done but you must be in great physical shape and have some mountain conditioning under your belt. Knowing that you guys are runners makes me feel a little more confident. But you really didn't say what kind of running you do. If it is trail/ultra-marathon running that you do, that will make it more likely for you to finish. If it is just 5 Ks, 10 Ks or 10 milers, I don't give you a lot of hope. If you do a supported run/hike (like David Horton did), then it can be much easier.

I suspect your biggest problems will be with your feet. The AT has some extremely rocky terrain in places that can not only brutalize unconditioned feet, but can literally tear apart running shoes or boots. You may also run into problems with your knees. The constant day to day use of your ankle/knee joints can lead to over use injuries (tendonitis). Even good conditioned hikers occasionally take a zero day (or a few short days) to obtain minor rebuilding of the body.

You will need to go very light too which can be risky with rapidly changing weather. There are times you will be sweltering and within a couple of hours, shivering because of a cold rain or thunderstorm. Eating well is a key ingredient to success. You will be burning thousands of calories a day.

I could go on, but do not want to discourage you. With that said, as I was section hiking this year, a young man in great physical shape (trail name - Boy Wonder) was doing close to what you want to do. He was in Massachusetts the 2nd week in May and was expecting to complete in late June. I believe he said he started in late March. He was doing 30 mile days through the easy sections of CT and MA. He carried no tent (only a bivy) and had a 40 degree down bag that weighed about 1.2 pounds, no water filter (treatment tablets), and when I first saw him with that small pack, I thought he was a day hiker! He had running shoes on.

Bottom line is that it can be done, but the odds are stacked against you. It would be great if you could let us know how you made out and how far you made it. I admire your attempt to try it. Good Luck!

Just John

Rain Man
05-31-2004, 11:00
...Is it just tha 'im an invincible teensger that can do anything' mindset kicking in?...

You know, if the bumble bee knew any better, it couldn't fly, because it violates the laws of aerodynamics. So, the idea that you can do something,-- as opposed to the idea that you can't,-- lets the bumble bee fly and literally has moved mountains too.

So, ... go for it!
:sun
Having said that, I also say go for it because you can't possibly fail. If you hike half the trail, gee wiz, you've succeeded vastly beyond anyone gave up and didn't take step. You'll have memories for a lifetime of what you did do while an invincible teenager. And, you can always finish later and/or do another thru attempt as a wiser, more experienced backpacker.

Have a blast with your friend, and all the others you will make on the trail.

Rain Man

Lilred
05-31-2004, 13:03
HIt the trail!! You have 3 months to be out on the A.T., I say go for it. Even if you don't finish, you get to spend 3 months on the AT!! :banana Think of the stories you can tell your grandkids...

Pencil Pusher
06-01-2004, 00:28
Yeah, go for it. You never know your limits until you dream big and push them. Enjoy your time on the trail, whether you make it or not. I think you can do it though, so good luck.

Colter
06-01-2004, 01:34
what it's like in the real world, beyond theory, beyond reaching for the stars, beyond impersonal statistics.

Take a few evenings and start reading through Trail Journals. See what people thought the trail would be like, see what people actually experienced, and see how their hikes ended up. Click on "stats" to see how fast they were going. Then see how many hiker pairs have hiked the trail as fast as you are planning to hike it. See how many individuals in ALL those journals have hiked the trail that fast. That should be a good dose of reality.

Trail Journals (http://www.trailjournals.com/journal_index.cfm?year=2013&trail=Appalachian+Trail&gotrail=+Go+)

Why not just say you're going to spend a summer on the Appalachain Trail, and take things as they come, and if you happen to complete the trail, great!? How about a trip down the Yukon River or a bike trip across the U.S. or 3 months hiking in the Rockies?

Ramble~On
06-01-2004, 06:57
If you want to do it bad enough. Go for it.
If you do not make the entire thing you will still have a great summer.
Between high school and college you can always do it again.
What would the harm be if you end up needing more time and miss out on a couple of weeks of school in August ?
Talk to the people at your school. There have been people that hiked the trail and ended up getting school credit for it. Phys. Ed., History.
Maybe you can work something out with your school and write a paper about your experience when you return in August/September.
Are your parents behind you on this ?

SGT Rock
06-01-2004, 09:05
I basically agree with a lot of what has been posted. Sure you COULD do it if you dedicate yourself to making the milage and keeping up a very serious pace. To do it right you would probably want to start with lower milage days and gently break your body into doing 24 mile days, but that would also require you to make up that time later by eventually doing some 30 mile days to maintain the average. Starting off fast before you get your trail legs can cause injury before your hike really gets going.

On the other hand, why not just start heading north (or south) and just go as long as you can by doing the miles you want and enjoying breaks as you feel. You may eventually push up the mileage and even make it in three months, but if you don't then OK. Just get the most you can out of your hike in the time you have, then you can always come back the following summer and finish up if you wish.

I guess it boils down to are you dead set on having to do a thru-hike, or do ou want to have a good hike? I'm not saying you can't have a good time pushing a thru-hike in three months, maybe you can. But maybe trying to live up to a tight scheduel will also spoil your ossible enjoyment.

gravityman
06-01-2004, 10:46
I agree with most of the posts. You should DEFINITELY give it a try and see how far you get. If you decided that the mileage is too much, back off, and just hike as far as you can. You'll love it any which way! You can always go back and finish what you have left the next summer...

Gravity Man

max patch
06-01-2004, 11:02
Hiking every day with no days off is 25 miles per day every day.

Hiking 6 days a week, with 1 day of rest, which is much more likely than the above scenario, would require 29 miles each hiking day.

That pace is impossible for the vast majority of hikers.

jersey joe
06-01-2004, 11:52
joseph8806,
Based on the fact that you and your friend are 17 and in excellent shape, I would say that you will be able to handle the physical aspect of hiking 25 miles per day on average. The real challenge is the mental one of putting in the mileage day in and day out.

There are about 14 hours of daylight from 6am to 8pm. Hiking 10 of those hours at a 2.5 mile/hour pace will get you to 25 miles/day. This sounds very possible to me.

Max Patch points out that your more likely scenario would be to take 1 zero day per week. I don't agree with this. In order to maintain a 25mile/day average, you should limit or even completely eliminate your zero days. Your 10-15 mile days will be your "rest" days. Besides, you'll have plenty of time to rest when your thru hike is over.

06-01-2004, 12:35
my friend and i realize that at the speed needed to do the whole thing we'll be missing out on a lot of the AT experience that many people talk about. The way we are looking at the adventure is succeding against tha odds and the extreme physical challenge involved. LOTS of research, planning, and training will be involved. and to answer one person's question - yes, we do have the support of our parents. we're both dedicated to the challenge of it all. thanks to those who have posted incouragement or advice, and also thanks to those who have posted a small dose of reality and murphy's law speaking. we'll need both

Mountain Dew
06-01-2004, 16:34
A 3 month hike ? How about watching a movie in fast forward, running through a museum, and reading the cliff notes to a book. My advice would be to wait until you graduate highschool and take your time to enjoy as many things as possible on your hike. Doing the trail in 3 months can be done, but why would anybody want to if they have the option to wait a year. Best of luck you guys and go ultra light or else you wont make it in three months.

Rain Man
06-01-2004, 17:22
The way we are looking at the adventure is succeding against tha odds and the extreme physical challenge involved.

While I agree with most of the posts about going more slowly, that's really for ME. If speed is either what you have to do, or what you want to do, then go for it. There's no law that you have to go slow. You should Hike Your Own Hike. HYOH.

Be sure to keep us posted on your planning AND your hiking when the time comes, okay?

Rain Man

06-01-2004, 17:32
that i will do, no doubt ill have many questions to be answered between now and then.

hungryhowie
06-01-2004, 18:11
Dan,

I'd like to add to my previous post now that more people have had a chance to reply. Every once in a while, Whiteblaze get's an inquiry like this one, someone wanting to do the trail at a faster than normal pace, usually because of some time constraint, and every time it receives the same answers.

Yours has been better-received than most. I'd like to applaud most of you for the blend of encouragement and reality that we've collectively given Dan, and I think that overall the message sent is "it will be (probably) the most challenging and difficult thing you will ever do in life. Statistically, the chances are slim that you'd be successful by yourself and prettymuch none that you'd be successfull together. That said, if you have the desire, dedication and drive; if this is what you really want; get out there and make it happen."

Most of the 'reality' folks have suggested that if you find that you can't hike the entire thing this time around for whatever reason, do however much of it you can. I agree, but I'll take it one step further. If you realize, for whatever reason, that you won't be able to complete your goal, you've got choices to make. No one's forcing you to hike the trail. If it's the challenge you want, you'll find much more of it up the trail. If it's the "entire thing in 3 months" thing you want, then you may be better off leaving the trail after you reach the 'point of no return.' What's more, one of you may want to go on while the other wants to go back. I'm not telling you what to do, nor am I laying out all of your options. Just be aware that this decision is quite possibly in your future (statistically speaking, of course) and be thinking about your answer to it. Don't make decisions beforehand, however, as you'll not want to cross that bridge before you get there.

There is another segment of replies, however, that show up every time a question like this is asked...and it is those replies that really irk me. These are the replies from people who tell you that you shouldn't hike the trail in 3 months because you should stop and smell the roses. 'You can't possibly have fun hiking that fast,' they say.

Well, Dan, here's my outlook on that. What they're really saying is that you shouldn't hike the trail in 3 months because they wouldn't enjoy hiking the trail that fast...which is a very odd thing to hear coming from a group of hikers whose unofficial motto is "hike your own hike."

Thousands of thruhikes have been made throughout the years and no two have been alike. Some have been fast, others slow. Some have taken many zero days in towns, others have used caches on the trail to resupply never leaving the trail. Some have carried 70lb packs, others have carried no more than a bottle of water. Some have enjoyed their hikes, others have not; and while most (if not all) of the people who are telling you to slow down are doing so out of the goodness of their hearts (because the sincerely DO want you to have an enjoyable hike), conclusively stating before the start that your hike won't be enjoyable because of one or more criteria is both nonsensical and unhelpful. One man's walk may be another's sprint.

I've done hikes where I've averaged 10mpd. I've done hikes where I averaged 26mpd. I've done hikes where nearly 30% of my hike was spent on zero days, and I've done long stretches where I never gave myself a rest. I've done zeros, neros, and multiple 30-mile days...and I've enjoyed every second of it.

Don't just read the encouragement in this thread and skip over the rest (because believe me, if you think the posts in this thread are a dose of reality...wait till you actually get out there...that will be the true dose of reality), but don't take all of the posts at face value either. Use your common sense to analyze each post to determine if it is helpful or not.

Keep on keepin' on -->

-Howie

Mountain Dew
06-02-2004, 00:18
I didn't notice ANYBODY tell them not to try to hike the A.T. in three months. Almost every , if not all, the comments I saw were possitive. If two 17 year olds can hike the entire A.T. in 3 months and not regret anything then more power to them. I took 7 months to do mine and saw much more than most other hikers saw both on and off the trail. That's not to say that my hike was better either. I HYOH and LOVED it. The one big advantage to hiking so fast is that you save money.

retread
06-04-2004, 01:11
If you have read all these posts you have gotten some very good information and are off to a good start.

Before I hiked I met Fringe-dweller from Bloomsburg, PA. who hiked the trail in 1999 in 110 days. He told me that that was not his choice, but that was all the time he could get off from work and still keep his job. Given the options of doing the trail fast or not doing it at all, well...he went for it, and he had a great hike with few regrets.

I took 7 months to complete the trail and there were things that I missed seeing. I'm still pissed that I got into Bear Mtn. NY after the f*&$ing zoo had closed!

Remember...Hike your own hike.

jersey joe
06-04-2004, 09:38
Best of luck you guys and go ultra light or else you wont make it in three months.I don't think anyone would argue that hiking the trail in 3 months would be made easier by going ultra light but it can certainly be done with a "normal" pack weight of 35+ lbs.

Pencil Pusher
06-04-2004, 15:59
Hey Jersey Joe, I read your trail journals. Good job, they were a great read.

jersey joe
06-04-2004, 18:13
Thanks Pencil Pusher, helped you get through a "pencil pushing" Friday in the office i'd guess.

Bankrobber
06-04-2004, 20:35
Sure you can do it. Read Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking." Go as light as you can, take Jardine's food advice (go for whole grains and fresh fruit over Liptons and candy bars), and start hiking at 5:30. Good luck!

Bankrobber
06-04-2004, 20:38
Another thing. People are always talking about taking time, absorbing as much of the AT as possible. Among the other huge trails (PCT and CDT) I think that this talk is limited to the AT. On a thru-hike of one of those two, you have to hike consistent 20 mile days to beat the weather and get water. Folks hiking fast can enjoy the trail as much as those going slow.

bobgessner57
06-04-2004, 21:54
I tried to graduate early so I could do a March 1 start date with a partner that needed to do the trail that season. School said no, so I dropped out (didn't do any of my senior year of high school, was 17). The deal with my folks was that I would go straight to college after my hike or go back to finish up high school. To make a long story short I blew out my ankles near Roanoke. Damage was done by high miles and a typical heavy 1970's style pack. We were making miles early on to cover delays in our schedule caused by foul weather, etc.
Lessons learned:
1)go light (a lot has changed since 1975)

2) listen to your body and take time to let injuries heal, I started having ankle pains near Hot Springs. Should have backed off then but an ending deadline overuled prudence. Backing off might very well have saved my trip.

3) Not all 17 year old bodies are ready for the punishment speeding down the trail can cause. This is not about conditioning or mental attitude but muscular-skeletal development. I was a late bloomer,continuing to grow and fill out well into my mid 20's. An earlier maturing body might very well hold up better. I suggest you talk to one or more knowlegeable doctors/ trainers, etc, who can help you evaluate how your plans might affect your long term health. Look into how good racehorses are developed and the problems they can have from running too hard too young.

4) Travelling with a full partner-sharing community stove, common food, one tarp and so on is about like being married. You will learn to compromise with one another and deal with many of the practical challenges that face married couples. This can be a great learning experience but you will each want to have a plan B in case of divorce. You will spend more time with your partner than most married people do their spouse and the little things can drive you nutso if you let them.

5) Going back to high school is likely to be exceptionally difficult. Imagine how you will feel having to get a hall pass to go to the bathroom after having been as independent as you can be for 3 months. All the stupid rules and regulations were irritatingly inane to me when I went back. I also had seen and done more and knew more about myself than virtually all of the other students and most of the teachers. You do this trip and you break the mould.
You will grow way past the high school mindset and may find it exceptionally frustrating to return to that situation. Long distance hikers will intuitively know what you are about but the rest of the world thinks its a quaint walk in the park. You will be ruined for life and that is good but will not be easy in the high school environment.

My suggestion would be wait a year and do your thing between high school and college or ditch senior year. If you are ready to do the whole AT you are ready to move past the dreck of high school. (In retrospect my parents agreed it was a big mistake for me to go back to high school, but at the time I wasn't sure what direction to take with college). You can always delay your college start a semester if you want/need to spend more time on the trail.
Most parents have a hard time with this logic as it is outside the standard box most folks are in but it is worth considering.

Another option is do a big hike like the Long Trail or the John Muir or a big section of one of the western trails or something of that sort to gain experience and help you refine your AT plans. That turns into a win-win situation. You can find your pace, find if you and your partner are still friends after several weeks of close contact, and get back to school without a lot of pressure, having accomplished a major trek.

Good luck, go for it and don't be like those old people in the trail towns that told me they admired the thru hikers and wished they had gone after their own dreams. My grandma always said she never regretted the things she had done, only those that she hadn't.

Highlander II
06-14-2004, 12:27
First, I'd like to say that I'm glad to see more encouragement than these type of threads typically generate. The dose of reality added is expected and necessary for such an attempt.

For an idea of what this type of attempt would entail, look at my 2003 journal on trailjournals under Highlander II. I would focus on the last 2 months of the hike because that was when I was doing milage similar to what you'd have to do to finish in 85 days. (It took me 97 days with two days off.) In 2003 there was another hiker, Overshot, who I hiked with for almost 1.5 months who finished in 87 days (2 days off) -- he started off doing 20's and was doing regular 25-30+ mile days as was I in the northern 3/4 of the trail.

If you have any questions, I'll take them off line.

leeki pole
06-14-2004, 15:48
Just a thought...maybe you could enlist family and friends to help you out when you get to VA. They could possibly slackpack (sorry purists, but we're talking speed here) you through some sections, maybe even get you to a motel and good eats in town to help out. You would have definite goals each day and could crank out some big miles with the rewards of food and family awaiting you each evening. Or maybe they could slack you in other parts as well. Good luck and wish you all the best, I think you can do it! :clap

Tim Seaver
06-14-2004, 15:57
I say go for it Dan!

You may find some inspiration in this article about the Fitch Brothers, two teenagers who set and still hold the unsupported record for climbing the 48 4000'ers of New Hampshire. Of course that was shorter in duration than the AT, but a good example of "teen spirit" in the peaks.

The Fitch Brothers (http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/fitch-record.html)

Pencil Pusher
06-14-2004, 17:18
Right on for the Fitch brothers, thanks for sharing that story.

stu
06-28-2004, 01:26
My Advice: keep your pack light (30 lbs max) and eat your wheaties

WickedFool
07-22-2004, 16:18
What is the fastest pace on the trail normally? Right now a friend and I are looking at finishing the trail in 85 days in the summer of 05. Graduate school is starting early next year...

ridgewalker777
07-22-2004, 16:32
That would be very fast, but the stress of keeping up the pace in unpleasant weather would likely leave you unhappy. I spoke to an older A/T hiker a couple days ago who is averaging 16 miles a day now in Massachusettes, who said "I would never want to do something like this again". Also some young folks who were doing a little faster pace said, "we're trying to get away from that" (competition & vain glory) here...Neither hikers were "primed" for these thoughts.

Pencil Pusher
07-22-2004, 16:32
I think the fastest pace is 48 days supported and 60 days self-sufficient. That would leave you plenty of time for graduate school:rolleyes:

Highlander II
07-23-2004, 10:04
O.K., I'll bite...

85 days is certainly possible, but here's a test. Take a week with a full backpack (what you'd carry on the AT) and go out and do 20 mile days every day in the mountains (flatland hiking doesn't count) for the full week. Pick a week where it rains at least half of the week while you're hiking.

If you still feel fine at the end of the trip then you probably have a chance at making it averaging over 25 miles/day for the AT.

You most likely would have to start at Springer doing 20 mile days (your week hike simulates this) to finish that quickly and then move up to 25's after the first couple of weeks and then to 30's until you hit the White Mtns where you would probably have to slow down to 25's again until you get past Rangley. If you want to take days off (days less than 18 miles) then you'd have to make up the time by doing more 30+ mile days.

A-Train
07-23-2004, 18:07
Check out Pony Express' journal on trailjournals. Amazing stuff. He did the PCT last yr. Got from Springer to 1/2 way marker in a month and 3 days with no help, slacking or support. He took some time off to go home, but is back at it. Just did a 65 mile day and has done over 30 almost everyday including from springer.

Whiz Kid
10-19-2004, 21:12
I met pony express in hanover after he'd done 36 miles in. At that point I'd waws averaging about 22 or 23 miles a day. I was blown away - but by the time I'd finished my thru-hike southbound it took me 84 days with four zero days. I didn't start planning to average 27 miles a day and a best day of 53. I'm 18 and in decent shape but I had no training regime or any thing. I started with a sixty pound pack at Katahdin. Obviously I trimmed the weight and by the end I was about a 23 pound base weight. SO the three month thru is possible, and I met a lot of people who told me that I was missing the point of the trail, but I like the explanation a hiker gave me in Duncannon PA. THe only reason that people say that is because they can't. Go for it, and remember you can always do another 100 steps.

TakeABreak
10-19-2004, 23:14
OK heres my 1/2 a cent worth, if you must, go for it, but I did a lot of 22 to 25 mile days, even did a few 29 milers. and took time to chill here and there. I know wish I had taken more time to hike the trail, and can't waith till I have the opportunity to do it again, I will go a little slower, sit on top of mountains just chill.

Oh and by the way mile slave did it as stated but got cold a lot at night, other hikers had to put him between them in shelters to help keep him, I cooked a meal for him one night, cause he was freezing and loaned him some clothing to lay over him to help keep him warm.

I believe he and others who run the trail like it's a marathon miss the point, of doing it.

Pencil Pusher
10-20-2004, 00:45
So exactly what is the point, of doing it?

chris
10-20-2004, 10:08
I hiked about 1500 miles with Pony Express (Willl, Ill Will, or 4:12 then) on the PCT last summer. He can really move when he wants to. He might have the speed record in Oregon and Washinginton. I went across averaging 30 miles a day. He did it in 5 days less.

rocket04
10-20-2004, 11:08
THe only reason that people say that is because they can't. Go for it, and remember you can always do another 100 steps.
I think that's a good point. I did a lot of 20+ mile days and several 30s and I did have some people ask me in a somewhat derisive way "Do you get to see anything?" The truth is, from the Shenandoah to Massachusetts, I was often able to get 20 miles done by 2pm quite easily. Which doesn't mean that's what I did all the time. But it means that I could do 20+ miles and still have plenty of time to take breaks, enjoy sceneries, etc. Granted, going the Pony Express way is a bit more extreme (that guy's a machine!). But nobody's can judge better than you what you're capable of and how you'll have a good time. So go for it, just remember to be safe!

totally Boagus
03-19-2005, 09:10
Check out the TJ stats of pony express, 73 days total. He did the trail over a summer break from colege. It can be done!

Jaybird
03-19-2005, 10:20

If successful.......wouldn't this be an A.T. THRU-RUN (stead of hike)???

neo
03-19-2005, 10:52
its doable,but you must travel ultralight,do alot of preconditioning ,no zero days

no injurys,be extremely determined,flyin brian did the triple crown in 2001,thats over 7,300 miles in less than 9 months,but he he planned and train for a few years to do this,i really believe i can do the AT in 3 months,but i would rather do it in 4 months,i dont like to rush that fast:cool: neo

oldfivetango
03-20-2005, 08:22
Question 1.Who holds the record for the fastest AT thru-hike?
Question 2.What sort of CASH & Prizes did he/she get for it?
Cheers,
Oldfivetango:bse:bse:bse

Lone Wolf
03-20-2005, 08:33
1. Pete Palmer. 48 days
2.None

Youngblood
03-20-2005, 08:43
3. Who holds the record for the slowest AT thru-hike?

Lone Wolf
03-20-2005, 08:49
Don't know that one but in 2000 it took me and Gypsy 9 months to cover 1600 miles. Had about 120 zero days and I spent around 10 grand.

Sly
03-20-2005, 09:20
Baevis (and Kathy Ireland*) took 365 days to do his southbound thru-hike in 97-98 averaging about 6 miles a day.

*life-size cut out attached to his pack.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2005, 09:43
Beavis was in Dot's during Trail Days. Was standing at the bar with his arm around Kathy and ordered 2 beers for the both of them. The bartender didn't bat an eye. Funny s**t.

hikerjohnd
03-20-2005, 10:10
Baevis (and Kathy Ireland*) took 365 days to do his southbound thru-hike in 97-98 averaging about 6 miles a day.

*life-size cut out attached to his pack.
You couldn't ask for a better hiking partner!

Glory Bound
03-20-2005, 14:33
I graduate from college on the last day of April, and will be on Springer the first night of May, ready to begin a 104 day thru-
I'm going to be starting with a college buddy- 'Random Factoid' as he has been dubbed- and we'll see how long we can stay together, but the expectation is that his pace will be a little on the slow side for me- he's not sure that it can be done in 104 days

I have just that long, no longer, since seminary starts at the end of August, and I need time to move accross the country after walking it.

Pray for us- Wish us luck-

Even if we don't finish, it will be an adventure, and I'd be back soon to finish.

Ridge
06-05-2005, 15:33
This thread has generated a lot of interest and replies, and most are informative. But, as my husband says, all talk and no walk(referring to the thread originator).

Heater
06-05-2005, 16:01
This thread has generated a lot of interest and replies, and most are informative. But, as my husband says, all talk and no walk(referring to the thread originator).Well. it is June 5th and that is the day he said he would start.
I wonder if he started his hike today?

Just notice that post was from LAST year! Whoops! :o

fiddlehead
06-05-2005, 22:33
Go for it. You'll never forget it. Of course you can do it. Success or failure will be mostly from your mindset. You will have pain, but also lots of joy!
In attempting a megahike in one year, we averaged a rest day every 11 days, which felt about right for our limits. (we completed 2 1/2 of the 3 trails in 310 days )(AT, CDT, half of the PCT) We started (in oct) with a SOBO AT hike and it didn't take long for us to feel very sore (feet and ankles in the whites) (this was after completing the Leaville 100 mile race for training 2 1/2 months earlier, so I was in shape) So, with that said, i would recommend either a northbound hike/run or have some experience with what you are going to see in the whites and Maine. all the speed records that i know that have been attempted on the AT started in GA. I think you guys will have a blast and i wish i was going with you! Enjoy. fh

Buckingham
07-14-2005, 16:30
You may not do the entire trail in 3 months, but, so what, big fat hairy deal! Use those 3 months, and give it your best shot, no matter what, you are bound to have a great time. Don't end up like me, growing older, responsibilities of work and family forcing me to try and squeeze in trail time here and there, if I get 3 or 4 days a year I'm lucky. You may never have an opportunity again to try, so I say, go for it! :banana

Patrickjd9
07-14-2005, 20:26
Could you hike a week or two in Virginia between now and next summer? This would give you some practice and a 100-200 mile section you could skip if you were falling behind or wanted some zero days.

Yahtzee
07-14-2005, 20:44
If you are going to bust one out, I would keep this thought in mind. Hear it in your head first thing in the morning.

"C'MON MAN, YOU'RE BURNIN' DAYLIGHT" Fiddlehead

Love ya Fiddlehead, hope your well.

Yahtzee

Bob Baker
07-14-2005, 20:51
Joseph,
Two friends and I are in basically the exact same situation. We are all going to be juniors next year and plan on hiking the trail during the summer without missing any school. We feel that we can do it physicaly but the mental part will be the hardest. Also, the lack of zero days and the need to hit the ground running at around 30 miles a day will be difficult. Best of luck and hope to see you out there.

Wow just realized this was from last year. :datz

Programbo
07-16-2005, 16:22
THIS is a great thread as it allows me to vent on one of my biggest gripes going back 30 years...Ed Garvey..In his book "Appalachian Hiker" he made the following statement..

"Frankly, I have nothing but sympathy for the person who tries to race along the trail with scarcely a moment to contemplate a beautiful view, to admire a rushing stream, to study a rarely seen bird, or to cook and enjoy an excellent meal. With all due respect to those who have accomplished it, I find myself invariably comparing the 70, 80, and 90-day hikers of the entire Trail with the American tourist just back from Europe. A cartoon shows the tourist exclaiming breathlessly, "Seventeen countries in eight days! We saw everything!"

This bugged me back then and still does now. This was an uncalled for cheap shot against people who`s only crime is being in excellent physical shape. First off, unlike his imaginary European tourist, the hiker on the AT is on a closed linear course. You start at point A and proceed to point Z and along the way you pass B,C,D..etc. Whether you take 150 days or 120 days or 90 days you are still covering the same route and passing the same points of interest. Simply because someone is capable of walking faster between points of interest is no reason for Mister Garvey to take this negative view. I used to be one of those fast hikers but I would be willing to bet I spent just as much time taking in the views and natural/historical points of interest as anyone. But to be honest as much as we all love nature and the Trail you can only see so many trees and rocks and in some cases there is nothing but trees and rocks for mile after mile and even at the "rapid" pace of 3 miles per hour (rapid?) you pass even those less interesting sites slowly enough to take them in.
In closing I don`t think anyone should push themselves and 90 days is a bit fast for the vast majority of people if not almost all except a handful. I wouldn`t start a hike with that rate pre-planned as one never knows what will come up and you may be setting yourself up to not complete the trek.
I love the internet! I`ve been carrying that little rant about Mister Garveys statement around for 30 years and finally have a place to post it with people who hike the AT :)

dougmeredith
07-16-2005, 19:44
Programbo,

I can see why you are bugged by that. It is just another example of an individual who seems to think that everyone should hike for the same reason as him and have the same priorities as him.

Doug

A-Train
07-17-2005, 12:26
I wouldn't worry about Garvey too much. No disrespect to the late "great" but he was sort of known as a complainer (despite doing A LOT for the AT). On the North side of Sunfish Pond in NJ we have the Garvey Springs Trail. This trail got its name from Garvey complaining in his book about not being able to find the spring that is just off the AT. Next time he hiked thru he saw a big sign saying "Garvey Spring" with an arrow.

rickb
07-17-2005, 13:14
Is it possible that there was an imbedded culture of "faster is better" among young men on the Trail back when Garvey made his comments?

If so, peharps comments like his helped change that culture? In such a way that more people ended up hiking tuely thier own hikes? And not one that conformed to the ideals of the prevailing "wisdom" of youth?

Or perhaps not.

HYOH.

Rick B

Programbo
07-17-2005, 15:06
>>>Is it possible that there was an imbedded culture of "faster is better" among young men on the Trail back when Garvey made his comments? ....If so, peharps comments like his helped change that culture? In such a way that more people ended up hiking tuely thier own hikes? And not one that conformed to the ideals of the prevailing "wisdom" of youth?<<<<

I don`t recall anything like that...If anything I would think there are more people hiking at a faster rate today.. Actually back at that time there was no internet and very little knowledge of who was doing what/where. Hiking the whole trail was a bit of an oddity and it was rare you heard of anyone doing it. They were actually doing it but hearing about it was hit or miss..I knew a lot of what was going on as I sold backpacking equipment for a living..Those old green Kelty Tioga packs were the thing to have! By todays standards they were pieces of junk suspension wise, but back in the early 70`s they were nice and rugged.

KS_Rockstar
10-05-2005, 00:20
did this kid ever try it?? i know people that have done 70 days un-aided so it's definatly possible.