PDA

View Full Version : Floorless tent

Engine
03-30-2009, 07:07
After years of toting my trusty Clip Flashlight (at 4 lbs. 10 oz.), I'm probably going to retire it. I fractured multiple ribs and a shoulder while mountain biking last December and due to lingering symptoms I am forced to lighten my loads, so UL here I come.:)

I have been considering the Appy trails "tent" and a few other models, including the Six Moons Lunar Duo. The 1 lb. 3 oz. advertised weight of the Appy Trails model are certainly a draw, but my wife isn't too keen on a floorless model at this point, so this may be a useless question. I wondered what some input may be regarding the subject, floorless or UL singlewall tent, and why?

As for history and experience, we have been backpacking for together for 18 years both in the east and the west...maybe 1,000+ miles total to date.

4eyedbuzzard
03-30-2009, 09:17
Have you considered a tarptent, or a tarp-with a bug screen when needed?

An 8 x 10 silnylon or spinnaker tarp will weigh in the 1 lb range or less, and there are sleep/bug screens in the 5 to 8 oz range. One step up is the two person Granite Gear "Haven" bug screen with a floor that weighs around a pound.

skinewmexico
03-30-2009, 10:05
Lunar Duo or Tarptent Double Rainbow sound perfect. If you need something that will take a snow load, look at the Tarptent Scarp 2.

garlic08
03-30-2009, 10:21
My wife and I tried a floorless Tarptent (Squall) for a long trip and she didn't like it, mainly in wind. We sent it back to Henry and he sewed a floor in, and now we both like it.

max patch
03-30-2009, 10:34
I don't get the logic behind a floorless tent.

With a floorless tent you're going to have a use a ground cloth....so why not just get a tent with a floor? Weight difference should be negligible.

Am I missing something?

Engine
03-30-2009, 12:36
Thanks for the answers. I am thinking that while a decreased load is going to be great, there is a point at which the drawbacks are too great to ignore. With that in mind I am likely going with either a SMD or TT design since they seem to be the currently favored manufacturers. With the increased headroom and seemingly greater creature comfort of the Lunar Duo, that is probably the answer, but I will investigate some other options before I shell out nearly 300 bucks...

Thanks again.

(Looking forward to the day when 0.1 oz unobtainium fabric allows for a 5 oz 2 man tent complete with stakes and stuffsack):D

bigcranky
03-30-2009, 13:11

With a floorless tent you're going to have a use a ground cloth....so why not just get a tent with a floor? Weight difference should be negligible.

Am I missing something?

Maybe. Having a separate ground cloth means it can be used in other situations, like in a shelter or sleeping out under the stars. Or just on wet ground on a lunch break. A tent floor is only used for one thing.

I would venture to guess that most hikers who use a tent with a floor also carry a ground sheet for these other uses. The floorless tent just takes that into consideration ahead of time.

Johnny Swank
03-30-2009, 16:53
^ what bigcranky said. If the weather's nice and the bugs aren't bad, we don't bother with the tarp. Saves a little time setting up and getting out of camp, and I'm just slothful.

Marta
03-30-2009, 21:24
Floorless would be nice in the west, where cowboy camping is an attractive option. Along the AT corridor, I like the sewn-in floor. It keeps things from rolling out of the tent and disappearing into the leaves. It keeps critters like salamanders from creeping in to get warm in the toe of your sleeping quilt.

Like Garlic, I had a floorless Tarptent and sent it back to have the floor retrofitted.

I haven't seen a tarp and groundcloth combo that it lighter than a Tarptent.

Frosty
03-30-2009, 22:21

Am I missing something?I've never seen a floorless sturdy double-walled tent, only silnylon tarp tents. If you used a tarptent with a silnylon floor you would still be well advised to carry a ground sheet for protection against punctures/abrasions from rocks and sticks.

If you use a tent or tarptent without a ground sheet, there are still a coupleof advantages to having the groundsheet not part of the tent.

When on muddy ground, it is easy to swish out a ground sheet in a stream rather than trying to wash the bottom of a tent. Also the tent always packs clean not muddy and can be put into its stuff sack or into the pack. The dirty ground sheet can be lashed to the outside of the pack.

If lashed to the outside of the pack, the ground sheet is available to sit on for lunch when the ground is wet, or if you find a rock to sit on, the ground sheet can be used poncho-like to cover your body in a downpour so you can eat your lunch.

The ground sheet can also be used to place under your sleeping pad (if you use an air pad) in shelters to avoid splinters etc that might puncture it. Also good for dirty-floored shelters.

I use TYVEK for a ground sheet, and when I use my floored tent I still carry the ground sheet for protection against puncturing the floor, so besides all the above, there is a slight weight advantage.