PDA

View Full Version : Underestimating the A.T.

traildust
03-30-2009, 11:01
Where did you underestimate the trail? What mistakes did you make that others can learn from? The question for all you long time thru hikes and long distance hikers on the A.T. is, "what can you tell the first time hiker about how you underestimated the trail?

Sure we all can say hike your own hike, pack light. I would ask you to respond beyond the obvious. For example, "what section of the trail in the first 30 did you underestimate??" For me it was TRYING TO HIKE from Low Gap to Tray Mountain. I underestimated the difficulty of the climb out of Unicoi Gap to Tray. Should have planned to stop at Blue Mountain.

I am sure you all, even section hikers of the A.T. could give some words of wisdom.

RITBlake
03-30-2009, 11:09
For us, the most naive move we made was over estimating our daily mileage goals.

We did a 10 day section in CT and our first days were planned for 24, 27, 22, and 23 miles.

Needless to say about halfway in to day 1 we learned how much energy the AT zaps from you and that we weren't going to come close to the 24 miles we had planned.

Tin Man
03-30-2009, 11:30
As a section hiker, I do my homework, don't push too hard, and discover the section I plan is easier than most describe. My mistake thinking that others know how I will feel about my hike.

Ekul
03-30-2009, 11:40
For me it was TRYING TO HIKE from Low Gap to Tray Mountain. I underestimated the difficulty of the climb out of Unicoi Gap to Tray. Should have planned to stop at Blue Mountain.

Ditto that. I went from 2miles before blue mt shelter NOBO to tray shelter and I was out of energy and could barely manage to eat once I got to the shelter. I had it set in my mind that I was going to make it to tray mt shelter and in hindsight I should have stopped and just set up camp. Those three big up and downs took there toll.

Remember mt walking is nothing like walking.

wvbudo
03-30-2009, 11:41
As a group of weekend hikers we thought we'd be able to do more than we could. After a couple of weekends where we did about 6 miles per day we thought we could get up to 12 a day. The Maryland section was significantly rockier than we thought it would be and slowed us down considerably. We did it, but really didn't enjoy the hike. Rate of change of elevation is one thing, are there any guide that describe the path itself - eg smooth, very rocky, etc.?

sheepdog
03-30-2009, 11:49
Being from Michigan I was not used to hills over a mile long. As a section hiker I spend a lot more time trying to stay in shape. I know if I don't I will "die" on the trail.

Red Hat
03-30-2009, 12:18
From Texas, thought I'd be able to do 15 plus days... haha... found out I needed to stay under 10 to start. Only after a month or so was I really in shape to do 15 or more. For the first four years, Dragon's Tooth was the hardest section I ever did. But last year I really underestimated Maine!

Many Walks
03-30-2009, 12:20
I can't remember her name, but a favorite quote always comes to mind from a would be thru hiker who said, " I planned for a long time and everything was going great until I hit the approach trail." She went back down and quit her thru attempt without even making it to Springer.

Listen to your body, don't get too ambitious before you get your trail legs and never believe the folks who tell you the shelter is just 20 minutes away and it's all down hill. The AT is as hard as it is rewarding, but you can complete it by paying attention and working with it. If you try to conquer or fight the AT it will most likely win and your dream will be shattered. If a hiker can make it through the first 2-3 weeks, get their trail legs and adapt the attitude to stay with it long term they should be fine. LW is right, "It's just walkin". I'll add that it helps to add tenacity and persistence to the walk.

Jim Adams
03-30-2009, 19:08
I was on the trail for 2 weeks into my first thru hike before I found out that it was more than 1,000 miles long.
I think almost everybody underestimates Georgia...don't realize the steepness, the altitudes, the coldness.

geek

Bearpaw
03-30-2009, 19:14
Umm, the Approach Trail.

I was fresh out of the Marine Corps and in great shape. But Camp LeJeune is awfully flat, so the sensation of climb 300 feet, descend, climb 500 feet, descend, repeat was tougher than I figured it would be. I was still able to start off with 16 and 14 mile days, but it was considerably tougher hiking than I had done previously despite my pack weight being only about 1/2 what I had carried in service.

warraghiyagey
03-30-2009, 19:18
I mis-estimated most everything. Except the desire to be out there. That one proves to be right on the money while I'm out there. . . and during the winter when I yearn to be out there. . .

SGT Rock
03-30-2009, 19:35
I didn't take into account that the biggest head games would probably come on some of the easiest days.

Blissful
03-30-2009, 19:50
I thought people were cuckoo to want to quit by Neel Gap. Until I did it and realized how tough it can be, esp starting out and likely weighted down by items in your pack you don't need. Then I understood why many do throw in the towel there.

And the Stecoahs were nasty...wasn't expecting that at all.

Blissful
03-30-2009, 19:52
I didn't take into account that the biggest head games would probably come on some of the easiest days.

Now this should be put on a bumper sticker or t shirt.
Excellent. :)

Tin Man
03-30-2009, 19:59
I thought people were cuckoo to want to quit by Neel Gap. Until I did it and realized how tough it can be, esp starting out and likely weighted down by items in your pack you don't need. Then I understood why many do throw in the towel there.

And the Stecoahs were nasty...wasn't expecting that at all.

I was so old school on my first section hike, I just wanted it to end and I wasn't coming back. On the last day, we ran into another section hiker who was packing light and really moving. Right then and there, I said there is more to this than I thought. I did my homework, downsized on weight and junk and had a blast next time. Quitting is not an option.

camojack
03-31-2009, 10:55
I can't remember her name, but a favorite quote always comes to mind from a would be thru hiker who said, " I planned for a long time and everything was going great until I hit the approach trail." She went back down and quit her thru attempt without even making it to Springer.
That would be funny...if it wasn't so pathetic. :eek:

ao2008
03-31-2009, 10:59
I underestimated how hard it is to leave town in the rain...can you say zero day?!

Lone Wolf
03-31-2009, 11:00
I underestimated how hard it is to leave town in the rain...can you say zero day?!

leaving town in the rain is one of the dumbest things i've people do

ao2008
03-31-2009, 11:25
I know man!

superman
03-31-2009, 11:35
Before I started the AT in 2000 I'd read on Trailplace that a guy from Texas had so much trouble hiking the approach trail that he quit and went home. I learned from his mistake...I didn't hike the approach trail.:)

Rain Man
03-31-2009, 11:43
I under-estimated how COLD it could get in the Georgia mountains in July and August. As soon as I got home, my 45-degree bag went right back to REI. LOL

I also under-estimated how "dumb" teenagers could be when I took them with me. I learned to go through their packed packs with a fine-tooth comb before leaving home.

And speaking of quotes, I like the quote "start slow, then slow down." Forget who said that.

Rain:sunMan

Bilko
03-31-2009, 12:23
Do not underestimate the importance of your feet. Make sure you take care of your feet, make sure you have comfortable shoes that fit, socks that fit and take the time to air your feet out during the day. Change you socks half way through the day. The temperature can really heat up during the day. You do not need heavy boots, but it is helpful to have study soles as you reach the 1/2 way point. As much as possible keep your feet dry. It will be impossible at times. When you feel a hot spot coming on, stop and take care of it, then. Don't wait until you stop for the night, it will be too late. Many hikers neglect their feet, or don't take the proper care of their feet and that causes them to leave the trail.

Slo-go'en
03-31-2009, 12:27
Anyone who thinks Georgia is hard, hasn't been through Maine yet!

The only reason Georgia seems hard is no one is in shape yet and for many, it's thier first experinace going up and down hills.

Wheeler
03-31-2009, 14:28

I agree. when I don't have to focus on the trail so much, I'm stuck in my own head where boredom,motivational issues,etc... all kick in. it seems like my longest (feeling) day's are often my easiest. "My mind is like a bad neighborhood,you should'nt go there alone."- unknown

MoBill122
03-31-2009, 17:21
Met a young man pulling off the trail one day, loaded up with all the best gear money could buy.... but 30 miles had whipped his ass ! He talked with me for maybe an hour, and all that came out of his mouth was " How hard this climb was... or that climb was... the rocks... no water... all negative comments.
All I could think after he left was " There's a big difference between that young man and this much older man "

The young man bought all the best stuff...and just took off running for the trail... with hopes and dreams !

The old man.... well... he's been around... He has made an X for a starting place here....and a X at the end place... and being the stubborn ass he is.... ain't nothing going to get in his way till he finishes his hike.

You set your mind to what you want to do... and you DO IT !

Kanati
03-31-2009, 19:21
I underestimated how llllloooonnnnngggg it rrrreeeaaaalllllllyyyyy is. That suckers got to be at least 3,000,000 miles long !!!!!

Fullstep
03-31-2009, 19:57
Found out how much I hate camping!
Also found out how much I like hiking...I found 4.30-6.30 to be to my liking..
And the shelter life didnt work for me......Hiking in the rain can be kinda fun............Ray

modiyooch
03-31-2009, 20:06
I underestimated the Whites and souther Maine. In the South, I can hike 2 miles an hour easily. I was blown away by the low mileage days.

Frick Frack
03-31-2009, 20:13
The 100 mile wilderness was WAY underestimated when my wife & I started our sobo last year. We looked at the topography of the 100 mile and thought it would be a breeze compared to the mountains of GA, NC & TN where we have hiked many times. We had our back porch handed to us! All that mud, swarms of insects, constant rain, slick rock descents & chest deep river fords put us behind a few more days than we would have ever imagined. We would love to go back and see ME in the fall when all those factors don't distract from how beautiful it is.

traildust
03-31-2009, 21:15
We also underestimated the kindness of many hikers we came in contact with and the awesomeness, if that's a word, of nature. I think my wife took 500 photos of plants, plants, plants. "Oh look honey, it a trillium, its a bloodroot, its a rhoda something."

Pony
03-31-2009, 21:43
I never thought you could actually get homesick. I learned my lesson, I'll be back soon.

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2009, 22:06
leaving town in the rain is one of the dumbest things i've people do

A wonderful LW euphemism! "i've people do!"

Oh well....

PA Rocks & lack of water for me!!!!

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2009, 22:09
Met a young man pulling off the trail one day, loaded up with all the best gear money could buy.... but 30 miles had whipped his ass ! He talked with me for maybe an hour, and all that came out of his mouth was " How hard this climb was... or that climb was... the rocks... no water... all negative comments.
All I could think after he left was " There's a big difference between that young man and this much older man "

The young man bought all the best stuff...and just took off running for the trail... with hopes and dreams !

The old man.... well... he's been around... He has made an X for a starting place here....and a X at the end place... and being the stubborn ass he is.... ain't nothing going to get in his way till he finishes his hike.

You set your mind to what you want to do... and you DO IT !

Wow! can't argue with that, and the old man has bearly any gear.:D

stranger
04-01-2009, 05:49
Probably money to be honest, and that's probably what most hikers seem to underestimate when hiking long distances along the AT - most people don't realize how much money you can blow along the way.

Physically, I don't think I've underestimated the AT ever, but I'm fairly conservative when I "plan" on mileages, as a result I often hike much further than "planned". Plus, the AT is a relatively moderate-easy trail (for me atleast) with some brief exceptions, notably Nantahala River to Newfound Gap, Port Clinton to Delaware Water Gap, the Whites and southern Maine. Those sections have slowed me down more than once.

Jim Adams
04-01-2009, 11:30
Anyone who thinks Georgia is hard, hasn't been through Maine yet!

The only reason Georgia seems hard is no one is in shape yet and for many, it's thier first experinace going up and down hills.

Exactly! That was my point. People think that Maine is hard and Georgia will be easy then Georgia kicks their ass. Everyone says how hard the approach trail is and how it makes hikers quit and go home. Well that info made me not do the approach trail in 1990 but after completeing a thru I did the approach trail in 2002...it is nothing compared to the rest of the trail. Again out of shape and not expecting the climbs and climate makes the approach difficult...not the actual trail.

geek

Tin Man
04-01-2009, 11:58
No offense to anyone, but I have never understood the no experience, couch to i'm doing a thru-hike mentality.

traildust
04-01-2009, 12:19
We underestimated the beauty of the trail across the Cumberland Valley in PA. A 13 miles walk, mostly flat through and around farm land, filled, at least in June when we passed through, with hay, barley, wheat, all glimmering in the hot sun. Slow down and enjoy this section from Boiling Springs to Duncannon. You will be glad you did.

Slo-go'en
04-01-2009, 12:48
[quote=traildust;813790]We underestimated the beauty of the trail across the Cumberland Valley in PA. quote]

I think that section was a lot nicer the first time I did it when it was a road walk, much of it lined with shade trees. Wish they had left it that way.

buff_jeff
04-01-2009, 12:52
No offense to anyone, but I have never understood the no experience, couch to i'm doing a thru-hike mentality.

I met a guy this summer, "harvey 58," who took three days to hike the Approach Trail. He said 23 people quit while he was on it. This guy could only hike 5 or so miles a day, but he was still trucking to Erwin the last I saw him.

FlyPaper
04-01-2009, 13:09
I underestimated the mental and physical challenge of the trail, as well as the lure of the trial. The first time I strapped on a fully loaded backpack was after being dropped off at the trail head, ready to cross the state of Maryland.

My first full day was 13 miles, which I casually started at 10:00am (in October) after a relaxing breakfast. I had covered maybe 3 miles by lunch and was so sore I thought I may be only able to walk another mile before I dropped. I found that when you're that sore and tired, you can actually walk 10 more miles (bringing you into camp after dark).

That evening I was certain that it would be my last section hike ever. Two evenings later I was surprised to find myself telling people how I would pack differently on my next hike.

Mango
04-01-2009, 13:39
I was familiar with the southern Appalachians, so I didn't underestimate them. What kicked my butt was the Whites. The most rugged, physically demanding, beautiful, and rewarding part of the whole trail, imo.

sly dog
04-01-2009, 13:58
Underestimated VT. When my brother thru hiked I wanted to hike with him for a small section section. I visited him several times in VA,PA,NJ,MA but didnt hike with him till VT. I shoulda done the hiking with him in the under 3000ft mountains down here. To make matters worse, i tried keeping up with him and 8 or so other thru hikers who already had trail legs. I fell 10 miles short of the NH border with a blown out knee from pushing myself to keep up. I still had fun and now am hooked on the trail banging out a state at a time until I can fit in a thru hike.

Tin Man
04-01-2009, 14:13
The AT in VT from MA to the Maine Junction isn't too bad running the ridge lines. Once the AT heads east towards NH, it constantly crosses the ridge lines and is deceptively difficult.

The White Mountains are easy, once you make the climbs out of the notches.

Dogwood
04-01-2009, 15:53
I underestimated how hard it would be going from the end of NewHamp into Maine. Heard from others that the Whites would be so hard and that led me to believe that once I saw the sign - Welcome to Maine. The way life ought to be. - it would be downhill from there. HA!

So many complain about the rocks in Penn and, of course, yes, there are lots of rolly polly(roundish field stones) and sharp rocks there, but that's certainly not the first place, or the last, that a thru-hiker will encounter significant stretches of rocky trail to traverse.

Dogwood
04-01-2009, 16:04
We also underestimated the kindness of many hikers we came in contact with and the awesomeness, if that's a word, of nature. I think my wife took 500 photos of plants, plants, plants. "Oh look honey, it a trillium, its a bloodroot, its a rhoda something."

On the flip side, I underestimated how good people can be! So many, often those associated with the AT, went out of their way to support me on my thru-hike. It simply amazes me even to this day! I realized somewhere along the hike that if I took the approach that people didn't owe me anything and I expressed honest appreciation and gratitude when someone went out of their way for me things just seemed to fall into place so often. It made for a better hike!

chrishowe11
04-01-2009, 19:23
I underestimated how nice switchbacks are...

is Maine especially difficult compared to the rest of the trail? this is the only part of the trail that I have experienced, i know there are plenty of 4000+ mountains in NH and Maine but what about the rest of the trail? sorry to go off topic just wondering if im in prime training ground :P

traildust
04-02-2009, 10:32
I underestimated how hard it was to quite when my wife pulled a tendon in her leg walking up Greylock. We spent the night in the lodge up on top of the mountain, icing and when the doctor at the hospital the next day said she was done, we were just shocked. The trail just gets under your skin and you can't let it go. Hard for most people to believe anyone could feel that way. Thanks for the many great responses here. Hope they have been helpful to those who are heading out this weekend. Don't underestimate the rain and it seems to be doing a lot of raining in Georgia and NC.

4eyedbuzzard
04-02-2009, 11:34
I underestimated how much I wouldn't like hiking day after day after day.... It got boring and pointless for me after a while, and I missed being away from everything else in life. Six weeks proved to be long enough of a wilderness adventure for me. That was a long time ago, and after considering trying it again, I realized I liked the idea of thru-hiking more than the reality of it. Some of us are just happier with shorter hikes.

weary
04-02-2009, 11:55

Listen to your body, don't get too ambitious before you get your trail legs and never believe the folks who tell you the shelter is just 20 minutes away and it's all down hill. The AT is as hard as it is rewarding, but you can complete it by paying attention and working with it. If you try to conquer or fight the AT it will most likely win and your dream will be shattered. If a hiker can make it through the first 2-3 weeks, get their trail legs and adapt the attitude to stay with it long term they should be fine. LW is right, "It's just walkin". I'll add that it helps to add tenacity and persistence to the walk.
A wise post, with a sad story. Don't believe all the talk of big initial miles. I tell people with relatively little hiking experience to plan on five miles a day at first. Take two days to do the approach trail. Work up to eight mile days by the time you reach Neels Gap. Listen to your body, not the chatter on these forums. Those who take it easy at first have a far better chance of reaching Katahdin -- and a far more enjoyable walk.

Weary

traildust
04-03-2009, 08:43
I underestimated how much I wouldn't like hiking day after day after day.... It got boring and pointless for me after a while, and I missed being away from everything else in life. Six weeks proved to be long enough of a wilderness adventure for me. That was a long time ago, and after considering trying it again, I realized I liked the idea of thru-hiking more than the reality of it. Some of us are just happier with shorter hikes.

I appreciate this thought. But I underestimated how much I loved to hike day after day after day. I think we all would say that at a point in time we all "liked the idea of thru-hiking more than the reality of it." I guess that's what makes it so special.

fiddlehead
04-03-2009, 08:52
Believe it or not, for me it was Connecticut!
I knew the whites were very tough as i had been there on day hikes before my 1st thru.
I started my 1st thru-hiking in the south and had no idea what to expect.

VA,MD,PA, NJ, and NY were easy and i thought it would remain easy until the whites.

Connecticut started the roller coaster effect after the long ridges of the previous couple states.

But, the hardest thing (physically) is starting a SOBO hike. That's 300 miles of tough hiking to start a hike.

Cookerhiker
04-03-2009, 09:13
I'm not a thruhiker but I've hiked the whole trail. Personally, I underestimated Vermont. Why? Because it was the first AT backpack I ever did back in 1977 and I was ill-prepared both physically and mentally. It's probably more accurate to say I overestimated myself than underestimated the Trail.

I would offer based on my own observations that New York west of the Hudson River is underestimated by many thru-hikers. When I section hiked NY in '04, I noted all the shelter register entries complaining about the trail's difficulty with allegedly no rewards for all the PUDS. My friend Northern Harrier who thru-hiked in '04 said the 16 miles from Rt. 17A to Fingerboard Shelter was his toughest day to-date; of course that was before he hit the White Mountains but then again, he knew they were ardous. I joined another thru-hiking friend for part of a day when he descended West Mountain and fell several times, not tripping over rocks but just losing his footing from the sheer steepness. My friend Scarf section-hiked NJ and NY in late Fall. She breezed through NJ with some 18-20 mile days but NY's steepness not to mention the slippery freshly-fallen leaves (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=121844) slowed her down considerably.

Another example: in his book AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, AWOL who was a very fit hiker doing many 20 mile days had this to say about NY:

"With all I've read about the trail, I am surprised by the dearth of accounts about the difficulty of this section. The hills are low but the trail goes steeply up and down, and there is a rock scramble at the top of many hills. This day is harder than the Roller Coaster of Virginia. Taken together, these last two days have been harder than anything since Tennessee."

I believe that knowing the elevation never reaches 1,500', many hikers assume they can stride blithely along a rolling terrain with little awareness of the numerous steep PUDs because they only appear as small blips on the elevation profiles.

For my part, I grew up near Harriman Park and hiked there since childhood so I knew what NY was like.

Dogwood
04-03-2009, 15:08
Some good advice by Weary and Many Walks. Some hikers underestimate the whole trail from the first step. Very few people are really in good physical and mental HIKING shape when hitting the trail. It takes some time to get into hiking shape and then it takes a little while longer to get into thru-hiking shape and settling into a rhythm for thru-hiking and adapting to the lifestyle changes of a thru-hike. I guess it's part of the gotta get from pt. A to pt. B as fast I can American mentality. I've noticed it over and over. On the AT, Hiawasse often resembles a medical clinic because, despite being told to work into your hike, thru-hikers go out too fast and injure themselves. This mentality can injure a prospective thru-hiker early in the game to the pt. that the game is over.

traildust
04-03-2009, 18:51
I'm not a thruhiker but I've hiked the whole trail. Personally, I underestimated Vermont. Why? Because it was the first AT backpack I ever did back in 1977 and I was ill-prepared both physically and mentally. It's probably more accurate to say I overestimated myself than underestimated the Trail.

I would offer based on my own observations that New York west of the Hudson River is underestimated by many thru-hikers. When I section hiked NY in '04, I noted all the shelter register entries complaining about the trail's difficulty with allegedly no rewards for all the PUDS. My friend Northern Harrier who thru-hiked in '04 said the 16 miles from Rt. 17A to Fingerboard Shelter was his toughest day to-date; of course that was before he hit the White Mountains but then again, he knew they were ardous. I joined another thru-hiking friend for part of a day when he descended West Mountain and fell several times, not tripping over rocks but just losing his footing from the sheer steepness. My friend Scarf section-hiked NJ and NY in late Fall. She breezed through NJ with some 18-20 mile days but NY's steepness not to mention the slippery freshly-fallen leaves (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=121844) slowed her down considerably.

Another example: in his book AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, AWOL who was a very fit hiker doing many 20 mile days had this to say about NY:

"With all I've read about the trail, I am surprised by the dearth of accounts about the difficulty of this section. The hills are low but the trail goes steeply up and down, and there is a rock scramble at the top of many hills. This day is harder than the Roller Coaster of Virginia. Taken together, these last two days have been harder than anything since Tennessee."

I believe that knowing the elevation never reaches 1,500', many hikers assume they can stride blithely along a rolling terrain with little awareness of the numerous steep PUDs because they only appear as small blips on the elevation profiles.

For my part, I grew up near Harriman Park and hiked there since childhood so I knew what NY was like.

Excellent information. Thanks for the thoughtful response.
traildust

Jester2000
04-03-2009, 21:36
I underestimated how bad I would smell.

mindi
04-03-2009, 22:21
I underestimated how bad I would smell.

Ha! I remember after about my first week on the trail, getting into my sleeping bag and saying to myself 'What the heck is that smell?' before realizing it was me.

Amazing how quickly you get used to it, though.

catfishrivers
04-03-2009, 22:54
I haven't officially started my thru yet (4/20!!! on Springer!) but I must say I did underestimate just how heavy 25 lbs of ultralight crap feels on my back when walking. I feel like someone turned the gravity knob up a few notches! I started to wish the AT was on the moon instead...oh well, I am sure I will get used to it. But it was a shock when I first put the pack on. I spent the night worrying I was done before I started but then I took a few practice hikes yesterday and today, and the weight already seems more natural. Good thing I didn't procrastinate getting everything all together any worse than I already did or else I might have freaked myself out about the weight of the pack WHILE going uphill! hah...I know 25 lbs is probably relatively ok in the world of pack weights, but putting it on for the first time and trying to walk did surprise me real good. It was on April Fool's day too :P

gaga
04-03-2009, 23:23
i was fine, walking and enjoying myself, with new ultralight boots very comfortable,with a backpack at 30lb-food for 7-10 days wanted to go Georgia nonstop alone, but arriving and starting climbing Sassafras Mountain:) i felt some discomfort in my feet/ankles/knees:D so after i passed Sassafras, i took my boots of and put my backup trail-runners/camp shoes and made it to neels gap...water was rare, hikers 0 , wanted to continue but bad weather and rain kicked in...(continuing after the pollen passes soon;)) so the morale of the story is: - the plan you make home... dimenticársene (P.S. listen to what Lone Woolf is saying) :D

TrippinBTM
04-04-2009, 10:50
In my planning stages, I had a mantra: this is going to be the hardest thing I'll ever do. I never let myself think it would be easy, no matter how gung-ho I was about it. So when the difficulties came, they came as little surprise to me.

I did fail to appreciate a few things. First, I thought, heading out solo, I'd be hiking alone most of the time. But the people were the best part of the trail, and I was in a group the whole time. Made some great friends.

Second, the hunger and the thirst. I didn't plan my meals/food intake very well, and was slow to learn, so I suffered some there. And being thirsty is terrible, it happened a few times, when I'd pass on some sketchy water (as I never filtered or treated water) only to later find that there's no good water for miles. It's a bad feeling.

And socks. Two pair is not enough. My feet got really chafed in all that rain in New England thanks to this stupidity. And packweight. I went with what I had, which was cheap, heavy stuff. I really learned the value in quality, light gear. I could have made my thru much easier on myself...

By the way, I don't get the difficulty of the approach trail, even being from Michigan's flatness, and not being particularly active or athletic. Sure it was hard, but the thought of quitting never even entered my head there. Maybe that comes back to my mantra, though.

rickb
04-04-2009, 10:51
More like overestimating oneself.

rickb
04-04-2009, 10:53
And socks. Two pair is not enough. My feet got really chafed in all that rain in New England thanks to this stupidity.

I could not agree more.

TrippinBTM
04-04-2009, 11:00
I appreciate this thought. But I underestimated how much I loved to hike day after day after day.

I agree. People talk about the Virginia Blues, but I loved VA. Now, I had days now and then there, and all along the trail, where I was bored with it. But for me the real boredom hit in PA. It was the dullest stretch on the trail for me, just flat, low ridges, dense, new-growth woods, and not-so-great views. Not that it didn't have its rewards and beauty and fun, but the hiking itself wasn't the greatest

As for the southern half of NY, I liked it. Sure, there's few "rewards" as far as views go, but then again, I enjoyed the PUDs there, for some reason. It was different, unexpected (no one talks about it like the PA rocks and the Whites), and interesting. I kept thinking about Indians, and settlers, and those old Hudson River School paintings. It felt strangely primal, even with all the delis ;)

TrippinBTM
04-04-2009, 11:02
hey rickb, my dad has the same stove. He swears by it, used it on a cross-country bike trip in '76, and heavy or not, he won't use anything else.

elray
04-04-2009, 11:43
Did my first section in Vermont 10 years ago and wasn't sure if I'd ever return, I never dreamed that the Trail could involve so many ups and downs, rocks and mud. I like a quote often left in the register at Harpers Ferry. "I can't believe I've made it halfway! I can't believe I'm only halfway!"

traildust
04-04-2009, 13:33
Wife said to mention how she underestimated the switchbacks coming out of Fontana Dam up to Mollie's Ridge and being lulled to sleep on the flat trail along side the Potomac coming out of Harper's Ferry only to be awaken by the switchbacks up Weaverton Cliffs.

How she underestimated the draw of trail towns especially Damascus and Harper's Ferry. She would move to either of them tomorrow if we could find work.

Cookerhiker
04-04-2009, 19:46
I'm not a thruhiker but I've hiked the whole trail. Personally, I underestimated Vermont. ...... It's probably more accurate to say I overestimated myself than underestimated the Trail...

More like overestimating oneself.

Hey, that's what I said!:)

Egads
04-04-2009, 20:04
Well not the AT, but I've underestimated the Duncan Ridge Trail...twice.

Thought I could make a day hike out of it.

Big Dawg
04-04-2009, 22:48
I underestimated how important fueling the body was during a hike. I bonked several times before fully realizing my body needed the right foods, vitamins, minerals, etc.

Big Dawg
04-04-2009, 22:53
I realize my previous post was a bit off topic about underestimating the actual trail, but thought I'd toss it in anyway;)

maxpatch67
04-05-2009, 02:24
My brother and his son about died when we took the "easy" way to hike a portion of the A.T. through the Smokies. We started at Newfound Gap and headed "down" to lake past Shuckstack Tower. They couldn't believe all the uphill doing this portion the easy way for 4 days. It was fun, though. We saw 3 bears and the View from Shuckstack tower is awsome.

Kirby
04-05-2009, 07:55
Where did you underestimate the trail? What mistakes did you make that others can learn from? The question for all you long time thru hikes and long distance hikers on the A.T. is, "what can you tell the first time hiker about how you underestimated the trail?

Sure we all can say hike your own hike, pack light. I would ask you to respond beyond the obvious. For example, "what section of the trail in the first 30 did you underestimate??" For me it was TRYING TO HIKE from Low Gap to Tray Mountain. I underestimated the difficulty of the climb out of Unicoi Gap to Tray. Should have planned to stop at Blue Mountain.

I am sure you all, even section hikers of the A.T. could give some words of wisdom.

Virginia is flat.

Pennsylvania is rockier than they make it seem.

I always did this, but ALWAYS have a pair of dry socks. While there were times when my two pairs of hiking socks were soaked, it was great to have dry socks to change into at the end of a day.

And, yes, you're knees are going to be destroyed going NOBO by the end of the Bigelow's.

traildust
04-05-2009, 10:51
We underestimated how many hikers would actually participate in "naked hiker day".

We underestimated how close the real world is to the trail especially in the Northeast from PA to NH. Reason for concern.

Jan LiteShoe
04-05-2009, 11:07
Two spots surprised me - the long, near-waterless, grindingly-but-subtly uphill ridge trek NOBO to Virginia's Dragon's Tooth - in the heat and thick humidity on little water, that nearly ended my hike due to exhaustion...

and parts of New York, (I'm blanking on the Park) where the terrain pitches and rolls, and you suddenly realize you've made huge total elevation gains for the day. No one really (except while on the trail) talks about how wearying this stretch is... you're toughened, fit, doing big miles, and suddenly your daily quota wears you out.

But, it's all good - just surprised me. The New York stretch was stunningly beautiful, with abundant mountain laurel in full wedding-cake-blossom glory.

Cookerhiker
04-05-2009, 11:32
.....and parts of New York, (I'm blanking on the Park) where the terrain pitches and rolls, and you suddenly realize you've made huge total elevation gains for the day. No one really (except while on the trail) talks about how wearying this stretch is... you're toughened, fit, doing big miles, and suddenly your daily quota wears you out.

But, it's all good - just surprised me. The New York stretch was stunningly beautiful, with abundant mountain laurel in full wedding-cake-blossom glory.

It's Harriman Park - the first part of the AT ever blazed

ThrashHammer
04-05-2009, 11:44
It really wasn't my underestimation, but my partner was very guilty of it. I had to quit an eighty mile section hike on the second day because my partner, in his own words, "Could not walk one more step and I am scared to death of bears".

To add, we walked about sixteen miles in about ten hours, which was taxing, but with a little perseverence he would've been fine. Also, his fear of bears hit him while we were in Hurricane Campground next to about six families that had five years olds that were perfectly comfortable in their surroundings. I guess it's a good thing it hit him there because he would've been really screwed the next couple of days between there and Damascus.

Jeff
04-05-2009, 16:52
Loved the name they gave one of those tortuous climbs (SOBO) in New York....Agony Grind !!!:)

EverydayJourneyman
04-05-2009, 20:48
Well, I'm sufficiently terrified. Thanks! :D

And this coming from a guy who had to travel from London England to The Gambia in Western Africa this past January. Warlords, Malaria, Land Mines, Pot Holes the size of VWs, all in a 20 year old jeep with bad suspension. And I thought that was hard.

traildust
04-06-2009, 09:20
Well, I'm sufficiently terrified. Thanks! :D

And this coming from a guy who had to travel from London England to The Gambia in Western Africa this past January. Warlords, Malaria, Land Mines, Pot Holes the size of VWs, all in a 20 year old jeep with bad suspension. And I thought that was hard.

The only bear we saw was the one in the zoo in the park you walk through I think at Bear Mountain State Park in NY.

Of course we all I think underestimate the feelings you have when you reach the final summit on the final day. Some of the best journal entries are those written about this one day out of 180 days. As my old English teacher might say, " compare and contrast your first day from your last day". Always an interesting read.

warren doyle
04-06-2009, 18:43
I don't underestimate the trail. I honor and respect it in all its beauty and challenge.

Kirby
04-07-2009, 14:51
I bet you do.

Lone Wolf
04-07-2009, 14:52
it was easier than i anticipated. physically

Kirby
04-07-2009, 14:59

Same. It became a mental grind from basically Damascus north.

Blissful
04-07-2009, 15:03
Same. It became a mental grind from basically Damascus north.

No way. You mean southern ME was easy? I thought you had it tough in that section for a spell...? :)

Kirby
04-07-2009, 16:30
No way. You mean southern ME was easy? I thought you had it tough in that section for a spell...? :)

Southern Maine was physical and mental grind, fair point. I was done by Rangely, completely drained of the mental will to continue.

My knees still feel the pain from the beating the whites and southern maine gave me.

Jan LiteShoe
04-07-2009, 17:27

For me, it was harder.
There was one point in VA I didn't want to quit and go home, but thought I might not be strong enough to finish it.
When I summited, my body was very glad to be done.
:sun

traildust
04-08-2009, 13:43
For me, it was harder.
There was one point in VA I didn't want to quit and go home, but thought I might not be strong enough to finish it.
When I summited, my body was very glad to be done.
A little unclear about your response. So you quit in Virginia? Where abouts?

Jan LiteShoe
04-08-2009, 21:58
A little unclear about your response. So you quit in Virginia? Where abouts?

Here's your answer:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=47849

PatrickONeill
04-08-2009, 23:20
A wise post, with a sad story. Don't believe all the talk of big initial miles. I tell people with relatively little hiking experience to plan on five miles a day at first. Take two days to do the approach trail. Work up to eight mile days by the time you reach Neels Gap. Listen to your body, not the chatter on these forums. Those who take it easy at first have a far better chance of reaching Katahdin -- and a far more enjoyable walk.

Weary

That is awesome information.
I am sure people overdo themselves because of what you said, reading forums and thinking they have to do "x" miles accordingly.

traildust
04-09-2009, 16:53
Here's your answer:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=47849
Sorry I got it wrong. Congrats on completing the hike. Excellent, descriptive journaling.

Jan LiteShoe
04-09-2009, 20:44
Sorry I got it wrong. Congrats on completing the hike. Excellent, descriptive journaling.

Thanks!
It was a labor of love.

Nearly Normal
04-10-2009, 04:14
After the first couple of trips I found the shelters so repugnant I brought my own.

traildust
04-10-2009, 12:10
After the first couple of trips I found the shelters so repugnant I brought my own.

I believe a number of thru hikers underestimate the shelter situation. Early starters learn quickly that things are crowded and tenting can be a challenge. I am seeing, based on Trail Journals entries, more hikers just camping out in Gaps before or after shelters. There is a forum here that I think addresses shelters but they are some wonderful places to stay and some dogs. For example, we underestimated the shelter just north of Caldonia State Park - the hilton to some. On the other hand Cold Spring Shelter is a dog but the tenting area up on the hill above the shelter is excellent.

Carrying a tent today seems to be the way. Would be nice sometime if someone had the time and funding to actually survey and see who carried a tent and how often they used it versus the shelters. The log books in the shelters are helpful in this way. Just a Friday thought. Raining here in Ky.

billy231
04-10-2009, 19:13
I understand that this is not a forum for politics…but if we want to better the future for the United States, I believe that all local, state, and federal politicians running for elective office should meet one criteria:

COMPLETE A THRU-HIKE OF THE A.T.

Only then will they have they have learned the full gamut of human emotion…suffering, joy, elation, humility, etc.…and will be better able to relate to their constituents.

THRU-HIKERS FOR PRESIDENT!

traildust
04-11-2009, 12:34
That would put Baltimore Jack in the running for sure.

superman
04-11-2009, 14:22
Mostly I used shelters as a water source. If the timing was right I'd stop in to eat lunch at the picnic table. I made a point of trying to camp well away from the shelters. Have you seen the people who stay in those places?:)

Tin Man
04-11-2009, 14:27
Mostly I used shelters as a water source. If the timing was right I'd stop in to eat lunch at the picnic table. I made a point of trying to camp well away from the shelters. Have you seen the people who stay in those places?:)

the biggest turnoff at busy shelters, besides rude behavior, is there always seems to be some expert who won't shut up, if not on hiking, then something else :rolleyes:

superman
04-11-2009, 14:53
the biggest turnoff at busy shelters, besides rude behavior, is there always seems to be some expert who won't shut up, if not on hiking, then something else :rolleyes:

Yeah, and how can that person know everything when I do? I think they'd be a lot happier and better informed if they'd just come prepared to take notes on what I say. :D

Jester2000
04-11-2009, 18:56

Hey, when you have a love & knowledge of something, it's hard to contain it. Sorry if I went on too long about Renaissance-era cheese-making techniques.

emerald
04-11-2009, 19:18
I am seeing, based on Trail Journals entries, more hikers just camping out in Gaps before or after shelters.

Would be nice sometime if someone had the time and funding to actually survey and see who carried a tent and how often they used it versus the shelters. The log books in the shelters are helpful in this way. Just a Friday thought. Raining here in Ky.

Next time it's raining in Kentucky click on www.trailjournals.com (http://www.trailjournals.com), select a few AT journals at random and click on statistics.:rolleyes::)

Tin Man
04-11-2009, 19:43
Hey, when you have a love & knowledge of something, it's hard to contain it. Sorry if I went on too long about Renaissance-era cheese-making techniques.

sharing knowledge can be fun and entertaining. watching someone give the soap box preach ain't so much fun. that's all i'm sayin'

Jester2000
04-11-2009, 23:19
sharing knowledge can be fun and entertaining. watching someone give the soap box preach ain't so much fun. that's all i'm sayin'

I know -- and I agree.

As for the carrying of tents, I've found that there are very few people who don't carry a tent or tarp. As for usage, I don't know.

I would think that people use shelters more in the beginning, when the weather tends to be colder and nastier, and there are a lot of inexperienced people who want to be around others.

I think they become less dependent on shelters as they move north. But on the other hand there are people like me, who really enjoyed the shelters and stayed in them probably 75% of the time.

On the PCT I stayed in shelters 1.17% of the time, and enjoyed that as well.

TrippinBTM
04-12-2009, 13:14
I used the shelters whenever possible. Had to do with laziness, and unpredictable weather. That is, I hated packing a wet tent in the morning. Plus, it cuts down on packing/unpacking time in camp.

But I'm learning to love my tent. And as for the PCT, I wasn't aware there even were any shelters. I planned on tenting the whole way. Or tarping, as the case may be...

Jester2000
04-12-2009, 15:57
And as for the PCT, I wasn't aware there even were any shelters. I planned on tenting the whole way. Or tarping, as the case may be...

Well, there are a few shelters, most not directly on the trail, and most not actually built for PCT hikers.

I, for example, stayed in two:

Peter Grubb Hut, just north of Donner Pass, which is really for cross-country skiers, and Mike Ulrich's Cabin in Government Meadow, which I believe was built by snowmobilers.

Mike's cabin probably saved my life.

They are few and far between, though, which is just fine.

Lemni Skate
04-21-2009, 12:17
Roller Coaster in Northern Virginia. Really thought this wouldn't be hard since general elevation is low, but that section of trail kicked my butt.

Lemni Skate
04-21-2009, 15:37
Being a big fat slob, myself, I really figured when I got to Georgia that I wouldn't do more than 6 or 7 miles a day. I was surprised, however, that I was keeping up with 80% of the hikers down there. Few people down there are willing to tell you they're thru-hikers yet, they usually say, "I hope so," or something like that. Still, I was keeping up with many thru-hikers and running into them day after day even at my weight of 266 on my 5'11" frame and my two kids.

I think this pissed some people off when they had just celebrated over finishing a long climb up Blood Mountain or something and then they saw fatso and his two kids climb up the mountain, I think they thought, maybe climbing this mountain wasn't such a big accomplishment after all.

I'm in good shape for my size, but I also think I'm a good example that if you're willing to take your time and just keep plodding, you'll get there.