PDA

View Full Version : Idea for bear-proof container, maybe?

grrickar
05-30-2004, 21:47
Well not really bear proof in and of itself, but I was looking at gear and found that several companies offer 'bear proof' containers that are said to be bear resistant (I guess this means they will have to work for that meal :) )

Anyway if anyone shops at Sam's Club or Costco you will find pretzels and such in large plastic containers that resemble those. I have one that I kept (who knows why, but I figured sooner or later I'd find a use for it) that has a handle on the top and a screw top lid. Had anyone used or thought about using one of these for food storage? I figured with a para cord tied to the lid handle and hung from a tree, it would be likely more secure than in a silnylon bag. It could double as a container for hauling water to camp, a trash container, or storage for anything that needed to be kept dry. Sure they aren't as durable, but they are lighter and could be easily hung...

Thoughts?

U-BOLT
05-30-2004, 21:57
Anyway if anyone shops at Sam's Club or Costco you will find pretzels and such in large plastic containers that resemble those. I have one that I kept (who knows why, but I figured sooner or later I'd find a use for it) that has a handle on the top and a screw top lid.
How much do they weigh and what is their volume?

Also, how hard is this plastic? Think a bear could just bite into it or slice it open with a claw?

Jaybird
05-31-2004, 11:30
Well not really bear proof in and of itself, but I was looking at gear and found that several companies offer 'bear proof' containers that are said to be bear resistant (I guess this means they will have to work for that meal :) ) .................................................. ........................................
Sure they aren't as durable, but they are lighter and could be easily hung...
Thoughts?

Yep...you're right...they're NOT as durable, THEY ARE PLASTIC!
the "BEAR-PROOF" containers are either kevlar lined-hard shell plastic or
Kevlar-canvas bags (URSACK) seen in magazines.

i've used the URSACK & felt comfortable with all my food in it...but as i am now out of the SMOKIES, & the "HIGH DANGER" area for bears,...i'm using a much lighter weight (water-proof) food bag (weighs only 4 oz).

happy hikin'!

grrickar
05-31-2004, 20:03
I knew that one could not expect to place one of these out on a stump and not expect to come back to find their food gone.

What I was getting at was using one of these in place of a silnylon bag because for one it is just as waterproof, and two, mice and such would have a harder time chewing thru it, at least I think they would. I would still hang the container, but my point was it could be used for more than just hauling food, and it is lighter (not to mention cheaper) than the bear containers.

As for weight, they are just a few ounces, and they are not thicker than a soda bottle. The lid is the majority of the weight. It would even be easy to lash to the outside of a pack like the bear containers.

UTZ brand pretzels come in these types of barrels, possibly others.

Another benefit (for those whose plan to do paddling along their trip) is that they will float and will be waterproof unless they somehow are punctured.